As we head into Thanksgiving week, we’ve got something else to celebrate first: Scarlett Johansson turns 37 today!
If her 37th year is anything like her 36th, it’s going to be a doozy. After marrying SNL Weekend Update “anchor” and comedian Colin Jost a month before her birthday last year, she went on to star in Black Widow—the third-biggest hit of 2021, behind only Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and Venom: Let There Be Carnage.
… And then the very next month she took on Disney in a lawsuit related to what she felt was lost compensation when Disney decided to release the film in both theaters and on Disney+ at the same time. Johansson and the Mouse House spent two months in a high-profile public fight before the lawsuit was settled.
Guess what Scarlett did in the meantime? HAD A CHILD! That’s right, in addition to her 7-year-old daughter Rose with her ex-husband Romain Dauriac, she now has a son named Cosmo with Jost.
But she won’t be taking a rest any time soon. Exactly two months from today, Sing 2 comes out, in which Johansson will be reprising her voice role as the punk-rock porcupine Ash. My kids LOVED Sing, as did I (I still play a few of its songs on Spotify fairly often), so I’m really excited for this one.
That’s still not all. Because right now Johansson is shooting Asteroid—a Wes Anderson film, which means no one knows anything about its plot because he’s notoriously secretive. But like most of his work, including French Dispatch, which is currently in theaters, Asteroid features a large ensemble cast. Anderson mainstays like Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman and Adrien Brody are all there, along with other A-listers like Tom Hanks, Margot Robbie and many, many more.
If you want an excuse to watch a non-holiday-related movie before the season descends upon us, you can find these movies of Scarlett’s at the Box or streaming on Redbox On Demand:
- Her–One of the most unique movies I’ve ever seen, where Scarlett plays the artificially intelligent voice and operating system behind Joaquin Phoenix’s computer’s virtual assistant.
- Jojo Rabbit – An “anti-hate satire” set in Nazi Germany in which Scarlett plays a rebellious housewife and mother.
- Under the Skin – Alien Scarlett will leave you forever disturbed.
- The Island – Scarlett and Ewan McGregor find out a sinister secret about the place they’ve been living.
- Lost in Translation – The Sofia Coppola film that launched Scarlett’s career into the stratosphere.
- All the Avengers movies – And the movies that will ensure her career stays there.
Check out all of her movies at Redbox here! Happy birthday, Scarlett!