Indiana Jones is probably one of the greatest heroes to grace the film world. I mean, c’mon, the guy can save the world just by his stare and hat alone. Okay, maybe that was a little over dramatic, but you get where I’m going with it! June 12th marks the 40th anniversary of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark and this timeless movie paved the way for countless movies to come. In celebration of this milestone anniversary, I’m letting you get the behind the scenes scoop that will blow your mind.
This franchise is loved by movie buffs, the casual watcher, and yes, the Harrison Ford fan-club. But I know for a fact that no one knows these movies like I do! Now, let’s dive into 10 facts about this blockbuster franchise that will sure to get you right back into this epic adventure.
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, released three years after Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, is in fact a prequel. It takes place in 1935, before the events of the original film.
- One of many brilliant Oscar winning original sound designs in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark is that of a giant boulder that nearly crushes Indy at the beginning of the movie. It was achieved by recording a station wagon’s back tire rolling over gravel at various speeds.
- Look for several references to Lucas’s other blockbuster franchise Star Wars– in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Pay close attention to the name of the nightclub in the opening sequence (Club Obi Wan) and in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark note the registration on the back of Jock’s plane that rescues Indy from the jungle (OB-CPO).
- Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark was added to the National Film Registry by the United States Library of Congress in 1999. It continues to be a part of the American Film Institute’s coveted “100 Years 100 Movies” list.
- The original title for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was Indiana Jones and the Temple of Death, but was changed days before shooting began.
- Filming locations of the four feature-length adventures of Indiana Jones spanned the globe, and included Tunisia, France, Sri Lanka, England, Spain, Italy, and across the United States, from Hawaii to New Mexico to Connecticut.
- George Lucas had an Alaskan malamute named Indiana, reportedly also the inspiration for Chewbacca from the Star Wars franchise.
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull picks up 19 years after the events of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, which is coincidentally the amount of time between the theatrical release of the two films.
- The chatty voice of Indy’s monkey friend in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark were provided by actor Frank Welker, who also provided the voice of Abu in Disney’s 1992 Aladdin.
- Though Harrison Ford did many of his own stunts throughout the four Indiana Jones movies, a team of expert stunt-performers that included Oscar winner Vic Armstrong pulled off some of the more dangerous moments.
Are you ready to take on this adventure of a lifetime with Indy?! Because we’re ready to go with a deal you don’t want to miss! Get 3x the Perks Points when you rent or buy any of the Indiana Jones movies On Demand between June 11th and 13th. Activate your offer and get watching today!
*Requires active Redbox Perks Account and paid rental of eligible titles 6/11/2021 – 6/13/2021. Must activate offer prior to rental. Offer valid for first rental night. Can’t be combined with other offers or prior rentals. Subject to terms at redbox.com/perks/terms