March rings in Spring Break season, and for many families that week off of school means there will be a lot of time spent together — either at home, at a relative’s house or on vacation. If you’re looking for a fun and easy way to pass the hours, consider throwing a themed spring break movie party, no matter where you are!
Here are some ideas for decorations, attire and activities you could incorporate.
Decorations – The most important thing on this front is COLOR. After the dreariness of winter, pops of color are just what everyone needs as a pick-me-up. Consider:
- Small beach buckets and pails as bowls for snacks, or put differently colors pails and shovels around as decorations
- Beach towels as spots to sit on the floor, or drape them over chairs
- Beach balls — everywhere!
- Blow-up palm trees, flamingoes and other pool toys scattered around the party area
- Seashells big and small as accent decorations
- Brightly colored balloons
- Mini umbrellas on tables and in drinks
- A big drink cooler to house drinks (duh) or games, OR fill it with beach toys or balloons and let it serve as a mood-setting decoration
Attire – It’s all about casual comfort.
- Beach cover-ups
- Shorts and tees
Activities and games – After being cooped up inside for months, it’s all about getting everyone moving, ideally in fresh air.
- Blow bubbles
- Hold a nature-based scavenger hunt
- Play “human ring toss” wear you attempt to throw inflatable pool rings over various family members (the shorter the person, the easier it is)
- Do a Frisbee toss onto a large handmade tic tac toe board, or do a Frisbee toss into a slit you cut out of a large box (the latter is the easier version)
- Go to a local museum or sculpture garden
- Draw with chalk on the sidewalk
- Play cornhole
- Watch kid-friendly vacation-themed movies like Alpha and Omega: Family Vacation, Norm of the North: Family Vacation, Shopkins: World Vacation, Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation, or Hotel Transylvania 3 (which revolves around a cruise vacation)
No matter how you spend your Spring Break, we wish you a fun and relaxing week!