The third-highest grossing movie of the year — Toy Story 4 — has hit the Box! (It’s behind only Avengers: Endgame and The Lion King.) I’m such a huge fan of this franchise, and as I look back on all of its installments, I realized that many of my favorite characters actually made their debut in this latest chapter.
Here are the Toy Story 4 characters that stood out to me — not including Buzz (Tim Allen) or Woody (Tom Hanks), because everyone loves them, of course!
- Forky (Tony Hale) – When my family walked out of the theater after seeing Toy Story 4, it was clear that my 4-year-old daughter and 7-year-old son were in agreement that the best new character was Forky, the spork-and-pipe-cleaner creation that young Bonnie makes at school. When I went to Disney California Adventure theme park earlier this year, I made sure to get a goofy picture with the Forky statue they had on Pixar Pier. My son gets lots of compliments on his Forky shirt, and I have plans to buy my kids the Forky craft kit so they can make him themselves. Adults appreciate Forky on a totally different level than kids because Hale is so perfect for the role of this stressed-out spork who is constantly questioning his existence.
- The 3 Combat Carls (Carl Weathers) – These guys had a very small part in the movie, but they left a big impression on me. They’re army figurines who help Bo Peep round up lost toys … and one of them is really, really desperate for a high five. (Watch till the verrrrrrrry end of the five (!) end credit scenes to see if he ever succeeds in his mission.)
- Bo Peep (Annie Potts) – Speaking of Bo Peep, I loved her Girl Power message and the way she takes charge to help retrieve Forky when he gets himself in trouble at an antique shop. It’s no wonder that Woody’s so smitten with her!
- Ducky and Bunny (Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele) – These plush carnival prizes with their love-hate relationship and overactive imaginations were a highlight of the movie, and I hope we see more of them in any future installments. They also have a pretty funny end credits scene!
- Duke Caboom (Keanu Reeves) – Yes we Canada! Of course Keanu’s Canadian daredevil stuntman was going to make my list, because as I wrote about here, Keanu is totally having a moment right now. Besides, Caboom goes through a spectacular transformation over the course of the film — overcoming his low self-esteem (thanks for nothin’, Réjean!) and helping to save the day in the end.
Who’s your favorite Toy Story character — from any of the films?