The summer’s biggest blockbuster is now at the Box, and it’s not the kind of movie you want to watch alone. Whether you already saw it at the theater or not, you’ve probably heard that the final act is best viewed with others that you can cling to, shout at the screen with . . . or hide behind. It’s the perfect movie to go all out for and create a theme party around.
Here are some ideas for a fun Avengers: Infinity War viewing party with friends, family or both:
- Dress up – You could either assign a specific Avenger to each attendee or leave it up to your guests. So what if there ends up being 5 Thors, right? It’s not like the world doesn’t need them. You can decide if Marvel t-shirts are acceptable should someone not pull together an actual costume.
- Transform everyday objects – Big garbage can lids could easily be Captain America shields. Brooms and mops can double as Dora Milaje spears. Cotton can be stretched out to create Spidey webs. Get creative with your decorations!
- Set up stations – Have small snack or drink stations around your viewing area, each dedicated to a different Avenger. For example, you could get a green $1 plastic table cover to use for the Hulk station, which you could decorate with green balloons and serve mint ice cream or green Jell-o or green M&Ms at (or all of that stuff together!). Hardcore fans might even want to spring for some shawarma at the Iron Man table. (Google it if you don’t know what I’m talking about!)
- Have surprises everywhere – Hide or strategically position other Avengers-related items all over your viewing room. I’m talking spider rings for Black Widow or colorful stones and gems for Dr. Strange (and/or Thanos, I guess — boo).
- Add in “official” extras – If you’re willing to buy a few things in advance, there’s no shortage of low-cost Avengers party supplies. From plates, napkins and cups to balloons and hanging decorations, you’ll have plenty of options that will add a lot to the atmosphere.
- Crank the tunes – Queue up hits from Star Lord’s Awesome Mix Vol 1 and Vol 2 to play while your crew is assembling.
- Get philosophical – If you really want to go all-in, hold a debate right before you start the movie and have each attendee explain which “side” they would’ve chosen were they an Avenger in Captain America: Civil War, as the consequences of the superhero group’s fracturing are still deeply felt in Infinity War. Or, have people write down their thoughts on note paper, mix everyone’s responses up in a bucket, and then make the group guess out who wrote what!
No matter what you do to or who you’re with to watch Avengers: Infinity War, you better prepare to hold on tight. And as always, don’t forget to keep watching during the end credits!