The characters I consider to be the “main” ones in the decades-spanning Star Wars franchise and therefore were not considered for this list include Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa, Chewbacca, Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi, C-3P0, R2-D2 and Yoda, and, from the new trilogy, Rey, Poe Dameron, Finn, Kylo Ren and BB-8.
But if you’re curious, I will still share that my all-time favorite Star Wars character is Han Solo. My son has a life-size mural of the Millennium Falcon cockpit in his bedroom that was written up on StarWars.com, so you could say we’re pretty big fans. And since Han is my favorite character, I was especially psyched to learn more about his past in Solo: A Star Wars Story. It did not disappoint.
The film introduces a lot of new characters, but there are some familiar faces as well. One of whom happens to top my list below.
So without further ado, here are my 7 favorite “non-main” Star Wars characters:
7) Salacious B. Crumb – You know who he is. He’s really small and appeared only in Return of the Jedi, but he left a big impression. He was Jabba the Hutt’s bad-mannered sidekick/pet with the crazy cackle and half-gremlin-half-Gonzo looks. I love him because I can’t forget him.
6) L3-37 – L3 makes her debut in Solo and nearly steals the show. She’s Lando’s bold and opinionated droid. I love her because she’s got a mind of her own and a strong moral compass to boot.
5) Wicket the Ewok – I didn’t know this until recently, but apparently a lot of people hate the Ewoks. They were like the Jar-Jar Binks of Return of the Jedi to adults back in ‘83. (Jar-Jar would’ve topped my “worst characters” list, let there be no doubt!) But I was 9 at that point and llloooooovvvved those cute little furry guys, and my brother and I even had Ewok stuffed animals that we brought to wait in line with us at the ROTJ premiere.
4) Boba Fett – Yes I’ve got another “bad guy” on this list, but he’s just so darn cool. I actually ran across Disneyland a few weeks ago to get a picture with him at the Star Wars Launch Bay before he disappeared from the “cantina” area. And guess what? He sounds British! A mysterious bounty hunter with an accent? Yes, please.
3) K-2SO – The other droid on my list appeared in Rogue One and was critical to the Rebel’s galaxy-saving mission. But the seriousness of their quest didn’t stop him from cranking out hilarious one-liner after hilarious one-liner, like my favorite: “I find that argument vague and unconvincing.”
2) Admiral Ackbar – It’s the hero with a squid-face only a mother could love. He appeared in Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, and I’m going to state here for the record that I did NOT approve of how his character was handled in that last film. Even if he’s not one of your favorites, you gotta hand it to any character who has his own meme. (Google it… or not… because maybe IT’S A TRAP!!!!)
1) Lando Calrissian – I loved him in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi because he was just so slick, but nothing beats seeing him in his prime in Solo. And they could not have picked a better actor than Donald Glover to play the younger version of the character Billy Dee Williams brought to life. Speaking of Williams, we’ll be seeing him as Lando again next year in Episode IX and I am waaaayyyyy too excited about it. But until then, wanna sign my petition for a spin-off movie focusing solely on Lando?
So there you have it. Which non-main Star Wars characters would be on your list?