In honor of Sweetest Day (which is today!), we thought we’d give a shout-out to some of the best romantic duos on film.
1) Let’s start with one from a Hollywood era gone by. Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) and Ilsa Lund (Ingrid Berman) are old flames who rekindle their romance years later in 1942’s still-stunning classic, Casablanca. Here’s looking at them!
2) Fast-forwarding to 1978 brings us to Danny Zuko (John Travolta) and Sandy Olsson (Olivia Newton-John) in the original high school musical, Grease. Their good girl/bad boy chemistry is as irresistible as the movie’s soundtrack.
3) We could write several posts dedicated to great ‘80s movie couples, but today we’re highlighting just one of the best: Johnny (the late Patrick Swayze) and Baby (Jennifer Grey) in 1987’s Dirty Dancing. Covert summer love, complete with literally soaring dance moves? Sign us up!
4) Patrick Swayze makes our list again – this time as Sam, a man who’s passed away but is trying to reconnect with (and warn/save) his beloved Molly (Demi Moore) in 1990’s Ghost. No movie has done more for pottery making, that’s for sure.
5) 1997 delivered one of the most epic movie couples of all time: Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Rose (Kate Winslet) in Titanic. Their tale of forbidden love that blossoms on a doomed luxury ship and ends in utter tragedy brings everyone to tears, no matter how many times they’ve seen it. But as Celine reminded us, their hearts will go on.
6) And finally we have yet another tearjerker, 2004’s The Notebook, which gave the world a real-life couple (for a few years, at least) who were almost too adorable to bear. Noah (Ryan Gosling) and Allie (Rachel McAdams) shared a love story so beautiful that I seriously can’t even write anything more about it without crying. And . . . that kiss in the rain! Even people who haven’t SEEN this movie know about that kiss!
Who are your all-time favorite movie sweethearts?
Oh, and if you still need to plan a Sweetest Day celebration for that special someone tonight, look no further than our selection of Romance Movies. (See, we got you.)
By: Redbox Writer, Erika Olson