Couples, listen up! You don’t need to (and shouldn’t!) wait until Valentine’s Day to plan a special evening together. In the meantime, get a romantic movie night on your calendar, because what you’ve got going on with your honey must be celebrated more than once a year.
You only need these five things to pull it off:
- Dinner. There’s a reason that “dinner and a movie” is the go-to formula for a great date night. It provides just the right combination of conversation and chillin’ with your special someone. But there’s no rule that says you have to go all out or book a reservation at a fancy restaurant. Remember, nothing says “love” like an intimate, home-cooked meal — or ordering in pizza. Everyone loves pizza.
- Privacy. If you have kids, get rid of ‘em. (You know what I mean.) Arrange for a sleepover at a relative’s or trusted friend’s house; offer to return the favor sometime and you’ll have other parents lining up to watch your brood. Being alone with your better half is key to setting the mood.
- Prime hand-holding space. You’ve watched countless scenes of nervous teenagers finally intertwining their fingers and leaning into each other while watching a movie. That’s because it’s one of the most classic romantic gestures of all time. It’s a movie-date tradition that’s survived through the decades — even Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone share this special moment in La La Land. Ensure you have somewhere to snuggle and hold hands before pressing play, which means your comfy chairs shouldn’t be across the room from each other and your couch should be kiddie toy-free.
- A romantic atmosphere. Yeah, so about the toys on the couch I just mentioned? Not only do they need to be out of sight, but you should also remove all other visible distractions. Piles of laundry, unopened mail, laptops, paperwork and anything else you have strewn around your place (don’t tell me it’s only my house that’s always a mess) need to be swept aside or thrown into closets because otherwise they’re mood-killers. Movie night is about escapism — a romantic movie night even more so — and you can’t fully unwind and escape if you spot your son’s dirty underwear hanging on a chair from the corner of your eye.
- The right movie. Surprise, surprise! This is where we come in. You know we have a Romance section, right? You can thank us later. Oh, what’s that? You and your bae would rather laugh the night away? Voilà! Our Comedy selection. Prefer to jump into each other’s arms, terrified? Mm-hmm, we’ve got that covered too with Horror. You get the picture. Just make sure you’re on the same page about what you want to watch before you pick up a movie from the Box. Here’s our unsolicited advice: If you can’t agree on the same movie, let your partner pick. If that’s not a sign of true love then we don’t know what is.
Enjoy your time together!
By: Redbox Writer, Erika Olson