Do you know what today is? (Besides Friday.)
It’s “Hug an Australian Day”!
Yes, truly, this is a thing. So to celebrate, we decided to figure out which Aussie movie stars YOU would want to give the biggest hugs to, based on Redbox rental tallies over the last 12 months.
Believe it or not, four of the most well-known celebrities from Oz did not make the cut! Namely, Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe (both currently in boxes in Les Misérables), Nicole Kidman and her bestie Naomi Watts (The Impossible).
Holy dooley! (Look it up.) With that A-list quintet out of the running, who’s going to make our Top Ten?
Here’s the list for ya, mates!
The 2012/2013 Top 10 Most-Rented Australian Actors and Actresses
10. Mia Wasikowska (Lawless, Albert Nobbs, Restless, Jane Eyre)
9. Noah Taylor (Lawless, Red Dog, Hatfields & McCoys)
8. Joel Edgerton (Zero Dark Thirty, The Odd Life of Timothy Green, The Thing, Warrior)
7. Ben Mendelsohn (Killing Them Softly, The Dark Knight Rises, Trespass, Killer Elite)
6. Sam Worthington (Wrath of the Titans, Man on a Ledge, Texas Killing Fields, The Debt)
5. Jason Clarke (Zero Dark Thirty, Lawless, Texas Killing Fields, Trust)
4. Guy Pearce (Prometheus, Lawless, Lockout, Seeking Justice, Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark)
3. Liam Hemsworth (The Hunger Games, The Expendables 2)
2. Rebel Wilson (Pitch Perfect, Bachelorette, Bridesmaids, Small Apartments)
1. Chris Hemsworth (Red Dawn, The Avengers, Snow White & The Huntsman, The Avengers, The Cabin in the Woods, Thor)
That’s right, the God of Thunder from Down Under dominated his fellow Aussies over the past year. Congratulations, Chris! (And speaking of Thor, have you seen Thor: The Dark World‘s trailer yet? November needs to get here already!)
In case you’re wondering how close the battle was between the Brothers Hemsworth for positions #1 vs. #3, we have the answer for you: not very. Because of all of the hits Chris has been in over the past year, he beat his younger brother by nearly 5 million rentals. Crikey!
Which Australian star would YOU most like to hug?
Purely in celebration of today’s holiday, of course…