Yay, Nay, or Maybe: Is it OK to Sneak Your Own Food into a Theater?

by | Nov 4th, 2011 | 9:50AM | Filed under: In My Humble Opinion, Other Bits

Today is National Candy Day!

Yes, as strange as that may seem (because really, doesn’t Halloween kind of equate to National Candy Day?), there is an official date for the celebration of all things sugar-rush-inducing and cavity-inviting. So in honor of this special occasion, I wanted to see how you all feel about candy when it comes to watching movies. Or more specifically, how you all feel about smuggling your own candy into the cineplex in order to either avoid waiting in the concession line, get around paying inflated prices, or be able to snack on your favorite treat that simply isn’t offered at theaters.

I’ll admit that whenever I have time before a screening, I stop into a drugstore beforehand and take advantage of one of the always-running “three boxes of candy for $2″ deals. (My preference is either dark chocolate M&Ms or dark chocolate Raisinets, if you’re curious.) I also usually try to grab a small bottle of water. Thankfully I have a HUGE purse in which I can easily conceal these goodies.

But at least 50% of the time I’m running late and will end up paying through the nose for popcorn, candy, or bottled water at the theater counter. So I’ve never felt too guilty about my on-and-off sneaking-in-snacks habit.

What do you usually do? Do you ALWAYS bring candy from home or do you buy your treats at the concession stand because it’s just a part of the whole movie-going experience? Anyone out there think it’s straight-up wrong to bring food from home into a theater?

Cast your vote below and then share your opinion in the comments!

Is it OK to sneak your own candy/food/drinks into the movie theater?

Loading ... Loading ...

88 Responses to “Yay, Nay, or Maybe: Is it OK to Sneak Your Own Food into a Theater?”

1. Jessica lecours
    Posted on November 8, 2011 at 1:52 pm

There has never been a time were i did not go to the store before a movie and get my own candy and drinks and bring them in, I live in a tax exempt state and even with no sales tax on items were still paying outragious prices on candy and drinks, $4.50 for a small popcorn,#3.50 for a small drink….and candy is like $4.00 a box….and mind u prices to just see the movie have risen so YES it is okay to bring ur own candy in the theaters.

2. Margaret
    Posted on November 8, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I worked at a movie theater for a year, and my fellow employees and I totally understand that the snacks are overpriced.
    BOTTOM LINE: If you sneak in your own snacks, sneak them back out! Making those theatre employees pick up food that they didn’t even sell you is adding insult to injury.
    Also, even if we’re sympathetic, we don’t want to get blamed for letting you sneak it in. So do actually be sneaky.

3. Mel linder
    Posted on November 8, 2011 at 5:31 pm

The cost of snacks at the theater is ridiculous. I don’t think anybody should have to sneak anything. You should be allowed to bring things in with the understanding you clean it up. I could feed the whole campus of a small college with the amount you have to pay for a popcorn. It is just over the top!

4. wurms
    Posted on November 8, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Movie theaters make most of their money from food and drink sales. Sneaking food and drink in is only hurting the very business you chose to enjoy your friday/saturday night in. Its like going to a fair or any other amusement park. The more food and drinks people sneak in, the higher the ticket sales will get to maintain profit margins. There is a reason some theaters charge $7.50 for a ticket and others $9.75. They arent going to lose money just because u decided to bring your own soda. They will get you on the ticket prices

5. Faith
    Posted on November 9, 2011 at 10:48 am

Looking at the stats of how many people are sneaking in food, the theaters may actually bring in MORE money on concessions if they made it affordable. I know this just an internet poll, but only 3% are paying for consessions. What if they made it more affordable and the other 90% spent their money at the theater. They are cutting out 90% of their possible income. I’m no business person, but it’s worth looking at.

6. Terry Garza
    Posted on November 9, 2011 at 11:02 am

I always take my own snacks, the theatres do not provide any “healthy” choices, if they did I would buy my fruit cup there. They need to take the hint from a health concious society.

7. BoostGear.com
    Posted on November 9, 2011 at 4:26 pm

While I have not ever done much of this, maybe gum if that counts, I could care less what people sneak in as long as they do not speak LOUDLY during the movie, TEXT MESSAGE, or bring children to an adult based movie who cannot behave at least some what admirably. Those are the main things that make us want to place other dim wit movie goers in a choke hold over!

8. Kristie
    Posted on November 10, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Ok, I get it, candy sales help the theatre survive. Why don’t they try for one month to charge “normal affordable” prices and see if they do not profit better. I would happily buy a box of candy if 1)it has the regular amount of candy inside the box, not the huge box with 5 pieces, and 2) the price was just slighty above the other stores. I don’t want to make an extra stop but I will if you keep charging those absurd prices. I may come to the movies more often if I could afford to take my kids. They want junk food. And I buy it – just not at your counter. Love my BIGGGGGG purse.

9. Brooks
    Posted on November 10, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Depends, I sneak in my own drinks because they don’t sell what I drink and paying for water is stupid. However I always buy their biggest bucket of popcorn, I think it evens out :-\

10. Kara M
    Posted on November 11, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Sure I think munchies from home are fine….except if they’re noisy! No potato chips, pistachios to crack open, bags that crunch, or cans that snap open. Noisy food is as bad as cell phones (even if it’s just vibrate or texting)…distracts from the movie.

11. Gerry
    Posted on November 13, 2011 at 1:56 am

With the economy and higher costs somewhat out of control, I think the cost of going to a movie is prohibative.

The costs for the movie could include tickets, snacks, parking and baby sitting. This could add up to quite an expensive evening.

So for most couples bringing their resonably priced snacks and drinks can be the only way to make the evening affordable and enjoyable and not break the bank.

12. Eric
    Posted on November 14, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I would bring just water or healthy food but I quit theaters a decade ago. Why pay to watch with crude, loud, sticky people the theater does nothing to control or remove?
    I can get into a movie, gone in the story with my small sound system & 23″ screen, so why pay to have a dog with a sound powered phone ruin it for me?
    Have you ever seen a cop or usher take out those that ruin the show?

13. s dan gill
    Posted on November 17, 2011 at 11:08 am

I’ll stop sneaking my candy into the cinema when Hollywood stops sneaking in advertising into the films I came to see.