I remember having extremely low expectations for Journey to the Center of the Earth. Let’s be honest: Brendan Fraser isn’t exactly known for his acting chops, and longtime Redblog readers will recall that Fraser’s the star of one of my all-time most hated films: The Mummy. But I ended up thoroughly enjoying his Summer 2008 family-friendly adventure flick, which of course referred to and borrowed heavily from the 1864 Jules Verne novel of the same name.
Fast-forward three years and $242 million later (that’s JttCotE‘s worldwide gross), remove Fraser from the picture because of scheduling conflicts and insert Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson in his place, bring back Josh Hutcherson to anchor the storyline, and you’ve got yourself a sequel. From the looks of the trailer below, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island seems to have been inspired by Verne once again, as well as a few other classic sci-fi and adventure novelists from back in the day.
I could’ve done without that random pec-pumping snippet at the very end, but besides that I dare say Journey 2 will be right up my alley. And I’m not even in the target demographic! So I think that bodes well for the sequel, especially because families will definitely be looking to escape (vicariously, of course) to an exotic isle in the depths of winter—which is exactly when The Mysterious Island hits theaters. February 10, to be exact.
Here’s its poster!
Do you think you’ll want to tag along with Johnson, Hutcherson and Hudgens when the movie debuts in a few months?
Redbox movies from the cast of Journey 2: The Mysterious Island:
- Dwayne Johnson in Faster AND Fast Five, on DVD and Blu-ray
- Michael Caine as the voice of Finn McMissile in Cars 2, on DVD and Blu-ray
- Michael Caine as the voice of Lord Redbrick in Gnomeo & Juliet, on DVD & Blu-ray
- Josh Hutcherson in Zathura and The Kids are All Right
- Vanessa Hudgens in Beastly and Sucker Punch, on DVD and Blu-ray
- Luis Guzmán in Snake Eyes, The Caller and Arthur, on DVD and Blu-ray