Yay, Nay, or Maybe: Oscar Host Eddie Murphy

by | Sep 6th, 2011 | 9:55PM | Filed under: Award Shows, News

At the end of July I wrote about how I hoped the upcoming comedy Tower Heist would be a comeback vehicle for Eddie Murphy. But you know what would make for a much bigger, much more impressive comeback? Hosting the 84th annual Academy Awards… and killing it. (But even if he were to bomb, the show would have to be worlds better than the disaster that was last year’s telecast, right? It’s a win-win situation!)

Murphy’s going to get his chance to remind the world how funny he is/was once the calendar rolls around to February 26, because it was in fact confirmed today that the ex-SNL cast member and stand-up comedian extraordinaire will be the emcee of next year’s big show. One of the show’s producers, Brett Ratner, who also just so happens to be the director of Tower Heist (along with the Rush Hour films and X-Men: The Last Stand), had this to say: “Eddie Murphy is going to bring it, that’s my opinion. He knows the meaning of the Oscars and what an impact it has globally. He’s going to work really hard and deliver for audiences. That’s what he does. I’ve never seen him on a stage, before a crowd, not be funny. That’s what he does. He makes people laugh. Don’t underestimate a genius. Eddie’s not a star by accident.”

I definitely agree that Eddie used to be a genius… but it’s just so darn hard to get past the likes of Norbit and The Nutty Professor and The Adventures of Pluto Nash and The Nutty Professor II: The Klumps and… well, I’ll stop. But you get my point.

Obviously there’s a good chance that Murphy will go above and beyond to bring the funny precisely because his reputation has taken a hit over the past several years. As I said before, yes, his “Donkey” from Shrek was hilarious, but that’s not the same thing as seeing the guy in the flesh.

If I had to make a call right now, before seeing Tower Heist, I’d bet that Eddie will end up being a great host. He’s got a lot to prove, he’s motivated, lots of people are rooting for him, and he’d be a welcome change from last year’s “hyper trying-too-hard chick and doesn’t-wanna-be-here stoner” snafu.

What do you think? Does this news make you more likely to tune in on February 26?

Will Eddie Murphy be a good Oscar host?

Loading ... Loading ...

Get a dose of Eddie Murphy’s alter-ego, Donkey, in Shrek Forever After, on DVD and Blu-ray

10 Responses to “Yay, Nay, or Maybe: Oscar Host Eddie Murphy”

1. Jevon
    Posted on September 7, 2011 at 4:02 am

Um The Nutty Professor was good, I don’t care what you say. Also Eddie doesn’t need a comeback, he never left he just doesn’t have to do it all the time like these other attention whores because he is settling down and is comfortable where he is. Even Samuel L Jackson is nowhere to be seen lately. They are set. Money isn’t an issue and most people know who he is.

2. lauren
    Posted on September 7, 2011 at 8:48 am

Eddie Murphy is hilarious, even with his less-than-perfect script choices. ‘Trading Places’ still makes me laugh out loud, and even though you see the animated Donkey, in Shrek, or tiny dragon in ‘Mulan’, it is Eddie’s voice and comedic timing that make it work. Plus, as the mother of five, the kid’s movies he’s done ( ‘Dr. Dolittle’, ‘Daddy Daycare’ )have been extremely funny and entertaining for the whole family. With DVDs younger generations will continue to enjoy and appreciate his talents! Although the Oscar’s will probably be more like his stand up and not appropriate for young viewers, I have no doubt his genius will shine!! He is one of my all-time favorites!

3. cate w.
    Posted on September 7, 2011 at 8:53 am

It’s been so long since I have heard his signature laugh!

4. Havilah
    Posted on September 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I have loved Eddie in every movie or stand-up comedy show I have seen him in. Whether he is performing for an adult audience or has to be family-friendly, he pulls it off flawlessly. I am definitely looking forward to the Oscars next year!

5. David S
    Posted on September 8, 2011 at 4:59 pm

It has been far too long since Eddie has made an appearance, he may just make the Oscar worth watching again!

6. cheryl
    Posted on September 8, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Eddie Murphy is totally capable of hosting any program any time.

7. connie
    Posted on September 8, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Hells ya can’t wait ……he so funny

8. edwin
    Posted on September 8, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Ya he do aight ….he gotta lil white in him…..but he may have a lil [black] in him left …..hope so…

9. dleary
    Posted on September 10, 2011 at 11:18 am

So Bob Hope and Johnny Carson are dead. Letterman was a bust. Why not Craig Ferguson? Eddie Murphy has to be the richest unfunny person in Hollywood. This will be a disaster.

10. moviegoer123
    Posted on September 11, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I think Eddie Murphy will do good hosting the Oscars. Last year, Anne Hathaway and James Franco were pretty good — hilarious at times.

May be in years to come, they should try an acclaimed film critic hosting it as an experiment. Like Roger Ebert, Christy Lemire, or when Lights Camera Jackson known as ‘kid critic’ gets older, he could try it. But LCJ only has a dream of it.

I like movie stars hosting it however every year, there are only a couple of memorable parts such as last year’s Best Picture montage. That’s why they should experiment in years to come. Try film pundits or experts or film critics.