Yay, Nay, or Maybe: Toy Story 4?

by | Jun 28th, 2011 | 2:47PM | Filed under: News, Quizzes, Contests & Polls

During the publicity ramp-up to this week’s Larry Crowne, Tom Hanks casually mentioned that yes, he thinks Pixar is working on a Toy Story 4.

Mind you, we’re talking press tour–actors say lots of things during them, mostly because us film writers are right there poking them, trying to get something new about new projects (as the actor tries desperately to stay on topic about the film they’re there to promote, even if they’re sick of talking about it).

(Also remember, in any future project the actors are the last to know what’s really going on. Actors are forever speculating about sequels they’d love to be a part of–it doesn’t mean the studios are fully on board yet. How many years have actors like Jason Bateman suggested on press tours that they hope and think there’ll be an Arrested Development movie?)

So when Hanks says there will probably be a Toy Story 4, remember he’s out promoting Larry Crowne, and Pixar/Disney is happy for a little TS buzz and attention to help keep Cars 2 rolling along in theaters.

That said, let’s assume there will be a Toy Story 4–after all, as was somewhat the case with Cars 2, Disney/Pixar answers to its stockholders. When a movie sells as much merchandise as the first Cars did ($10 billion–almost more than any other Disney property), or makes as much money as Toy Story 3 did (over a billion dollars worldwide, not counting home-video sales), shareholders demand a sequel. (Many market analysts boosted Disney’s stock rating this week thanks to the better-than-expected box-office performance of Cars 2 last weekend.)

But let’s put such cynical and crass talk of stocks and money aside for the moment and discuss whether a Toy Story 4 would be a good idea creatively.

As I mentioned a few months ago, three of Pixar’s four recent and planned films are sequels: Toy Story 3, Cars 2, and in 2013 Monsters University, the Monsters, Inc prequel.

The only original film on the upcoming slate is next summer’s Brave. If Toy Story 4 (or maybe an Incredibles sequel) were to follow Monsters University, that’d make it four outta five, maybe eventually five outta six.

Thing is, unlike say Cars 2, the Toy Story sequels have continually improved on their predecessors. And the Toy Story Hawaiian Vacation short preceding Cars 2 only reminded us all how much we still love those characters, not to mention the promising new ones introduced in Toy Story 3.

So what say you all? Would you be thrilled to have more Toy Story stories in theaters? Or is Pixar lazily going back to the same well too many times? Was the ending of Toy Story 3 perfect closure for the series? Or did it open the door for a new generation of viewers (and toys)?

Vote in the poll, and then explain your “yay,” “nay,” or “maybe” in the comments below!

Should Pixar make a Toy Story 4?

Loading ... Loading ...

_____

More animated family fun from redbox:

13 Responses to “Yay, Nay, or Maybe: Toy Story 4?”

1. Brentley3
    Posted on June 28, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I love Pixar and everything they’ve done up to this point. I haven’t seen Cars 2 yet. I was never fully sold on Cars originally, but it warmed up to me over repeated viewings. I’m hoping Cars 2 will do the same if I don’t like it initially. As for another Toy Story movie… I think it would be the first bad step in that franchise. Toy Story 3 wrapped up that package very nicely. Through the three movies the many different life-cycles that toys can take was thoroughly examined and presented. I’m sure if Pixar did come back to this franchise the story they could come up with would be unique, imaginative and will showcase the Pixar magic of storytelling. But I don’t think they should as they ended it perfectly with TS3.

2. moviegoer123
    Posted on June 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I loved the Toy Story films. I thought when Toy Story 3 came out in cinemas, I thought it was done with. I would like to see another Toy Story film however when will the toys end they’re story?

Make three more film adaptations and then, I betting the filmmakers will be satisfied. I think Toy Story is over…it had a sad however good ending in the third film. It is enough, otherwise, the filmmakers would keep on wanting more sequels. Can’t they be satisfied with all they’ve done here? The film series needs to keep its intergrity and wit. With a fourth installment, it will loose its integrity and wit. In my opinion, it may ruin some to all of its originality.

3. Tracy Borst
    Posted on June 28, 2011 at 10:13 pm

My son wants to see that the little girl is taking good care of the toys and that she gives woody back to Andy. He was devastated that Andy did not take Woody to college with him. He is 14 and this is one of his favorite movies.

4. wwqqq
    Posted on June 29, 2011 at 6:31 am

col

5. Impheatus
    Posted on June 29, 2011 at 10:09 am

Tracy Borst just summed up why we all love Toy Story movies: beacuse they make us feel, they make us laugh, but must of all because they make us cry.
    Whether you are 14 or 30 there’s no doubt you care for these characters and that’s the reason why Toy Story 4 wouldn’t be such a bad idea (5 years from now, maybe more :P).

6. Impheatus
    Posted on June 29, 2011 at 10:11 am

BTW: I think Monsters University is going to be released in 2013 not 2012 as that is Brave’s release year.

7. Sparky
    Posted on June 29, 2011 at 10:17 am

I initally would say no, but voted maybe. I can not imagine how they would come up with a good new story line for as TS4; however, as noted each successive movie in this series has come up with a more involved plot. I don’t think they could do it again, but they proved my thoughts wrong with the TS 2 & 3. Therefore, I must give them the benefit of the doubt, as long as it’s the same folks involded with the prior versions.

Locke Peterseim
    Posted on June 29, 2011 at 10:33 am

You’re right, Impheatus — thanks for the catch! Fixed it.

9. moviegoer123
    Posted on June 29, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I’m surprised that they’re making a fourth installment of Toy Story more than anything.

10. michael chavez
    Posted on June 30, 2011 at 11:48 am

would love to see this come to pass TS4 would be great for all of us movie watchers. TS3 left us sad as only a good movie could do. So maybe Andy could come back married and with a kid of his own that will want the toys. And the girl could be entering jr high and not wanting them any more who knows

11. Kimberly Sabin
    Posted on July 1, 2011 at 9:23 am

I don’t know why everyone has to be a movie critic. These movies were originally created to be enjoyable G-rated movies for children’s entertainment. They are just so great that adults end up loving them too. I know that my kids absolutely love the Toy Story movies and would love to see as many of them as Pixar would release. They would be thrilled to have a new one each year or even each day. Who cares if some adults are crushed that the integrity of the series goes downhill with subsequent films. These are movies that make millions of children happy. I have never heard a child complain that they couldn’t possibly watch another Pixar film because it had been done to death. If someone doesn’t want to watch them, then don’t. But don’t ruin it for the children who would love to see anything they could about their “Toy friends”. Kudos to Pixar and please keep ‘em coming!

12. Kristy Thompson
    Posted on July 7, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I believe three was enough. Andy is already grown up and the movies were all about him and his toys. I think it’s time to stop.

13. Judy Tate
    Posted on March 1, 2012 at 11:44 am

The movie was about the Toys. The toys are still out there being played with, and it is good clean fun for the whole family. so many cartoons for kids are NOT for kids these days. I love anyone who will give them something to watch that doesn’t have filthy language, sex, drugs, and smart-mouth kids who run the world. Pixar puts out really good stories that are age appropriate and if you are older, you can still enjoy it. It is like a good book, if you can invest in the characters you can read it over and over, but you still want the rest of their story.