Not Feelin’ the Lantern? Blame Blake Lively Backlash.

by | Jun 13th, 2011 | 6:14PM | Filed under: Hollywood Chatter, In My Humble Opinion, Trailers

OK, so I don’t really think Blake Lively backlash will be the reason anyone decides against seeing Green Lantern this weekend, but after reading Locke’s box-office predictions and longtime Reader Who Rocks Jeremy F’s even bolder proclamations for the kind of big bucks the latest comic-book adaptation is going to pull in, I can’t resist playing party pooper for a minute.

I have always believed that for a superhero film to do exceedingly well, it has to appeal to everyone: men, women, young, old, people who actually know the origin stories and have read the comics, and those (like me) who never have a clue about that stuff. A big-name star who’s liked by all of those same demographics doesn’t hurt, either. (I’m convinced that even though Iron Man was a great film overall, if Robert Downey Jr, hadn’t played Tony Stark, there’s no way it would’ve been the blockbuster it was.)

Now let’s think about Green Lantern. In this post from November, Locke helped explain who was who in the teaser trailer. You know what I thought about all of the characters he covered? I thought they were BO-RING! I like Ryan Reynolds just fine, but he’s no Robert Downey Jr.  His presence couldn’t make up for the fact that the trailer left much to be desired — in no way did it make me want to see the film. The final trailer, released last month, is even worse — it reeks of desperation, trying to cram the entire back-story of this DC Comics universe into two-and-a-half minutes:

I like popcorn flicks as much as the next person, and have even enjoyed recent superhero movies like Thor, which I had no connection to going in and was sure I’d hate. But I’m even more positive I will not like Green Lantern. I watch those trailers and am just like, “Who are all those pink dudes wearing green skintight leotards? Why does everyone have a huge forehead?” And — as I brace myself to get a fanboy beat down — I also have to add that the “Green Lantern oath” is so, so lame. It sounds like a elementary school kid’s first poem or something. “Look, ma — I can rhyme!” Seriously.

And then there’s the whole Blake Lively thing. As a fan of Gossip Girl, I’ve watched with great interest as Lively started building her big-screen resume… from The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants franchise to the Academy Award-nominated The Town. But do I believe for one second that her recent “Those nude photos aren’t of me!” (yeah, right) scandal and whirlwind (ongoing) romance with Leonardo DiCaprio AREN’T part of a well-crafted PR campaign? Two weeks before Green Lantern (in which she plays Carol Ferris) comes out? Please. I’m not saying the studio’s involved, but I am saying that Lively’s “people” know exactly what they’re doing to build buzz at a very opportune time. They want to draw attention to her and the film, and everyone’s wanting it to do well enough to 1) earn back its ginormous $300 million production-and-marketing budget, and 2) spawn a franchise. For me, the only thing the nonstop Blake Lively gossip has achieved is making me even more annoyed and less excited to see Green Lantern. (Which I WILL be seeing a screening of on Wednesday, as it’s my job.)

Am I hoping I’ll be pleasantly surprised like I was with Thor? Sure. But when I see posters like the one below, I go back to betting that I’m not the only one who wouldn’t spend $10 on a ticket. I mean, I didn’t know anything about the Green Lantern AT ALL before those lackluster trailers started hitting, and so a weird creature with a name I don’t know how to pronounce splashed on a poster at my bus stop is not helping to win me over.

Now, is there a good chance Green Lantern will win this coming weekend’s box-office race? Of course. But my prediction is that overall — over the long haul — it will be considered a spectacular flop. I gotta call ‘em like I see ‘em!

Wanna make sure you’re prepared for Green Lantern?

Redbox movies from the cast of Green Lantern:

11 Responses to “Not Feelin’ the Lantern? Blame Blake Lively Backlash.”

1. FAO
    Posted on June 13, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Yes, very excited to see this movie, but my hopes go well beyond the first movie, a trilogy at least.
    Green Lantern has very low name recognition among the overall audience prior to marketing efforts, like Watchmen did, which is why I think it will not make enough at the box office to warrant a sequel, a shame.
    That won’t, however, diminish my personal enjoyment of the film one bit.

2. Trevor L
    Posted on June 14, 2011 at 12:49 am

The Green Lantern never interested me in the comics, but then again besides Batman I’m not a big DC fan. I prolly wont even go see it unless I hear it’s really good. So, I agree with ya.

Locke Peterseim
    Posted on June 14, 2011 at 6:25 am

To clarify, I never said Green Lantern would do great at the box office — only that it would be in the top spot this weekend. I agree that the character has limited mainstream popularity, and that there’s a hard-to-pin-down whiff of something not quite clicking in the pre-release buzz around it. I do still think Reynolds and the marketing blitz will at least carry it to the top of the chart this weekend, but it will be a weaker-than-usual performance for a big superhero movie.

And do not dis-respect Tomar-Re!! “Weird creature”? Such human-centric species-ism! And mocking the Oath? You’re just begging to bring the wrath of the Guardians down on your head! Not to mention the fanboys and girls. They’re fitting you for a Black Ring as we speak! ;)

4. Jennifer Sci Fi Friend
    Posted on June 14, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Hey Fan Boy whose side are you on anyways, Locke? Sheesh!

Erika – I am a Marvel girl at heart with some dalainces on the DC very few though. And I am only looking forward to the movie because of how surprisingly entertained I found myself by Thor and Ryan Reynolds. True he is no RDjr, but he is easy one the eyes on the big screen. Remember Super 8 marketing was awful, but what a gem of a movie that is! Ok, huge stretch I know.

And whats up with all your bashing on the whole comic and sci fi universe? Where’s the Love???

5. Dave
    Posted on June 14, 2011 at 1:16 pm

In the comic you can skip the Oath.

Is that Geoffrey Rush doing the narration.

I loved GL as a kid, but it looks like they’ve gone completely over the top with the CGI – it almost looks like an animated movie. Iron Man worked because there was a human in it (RDJr), someone you could relate to – I don’t see anyone to relate to in this trailer.

6. Fiirvoen
    Posted on June 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm

My biggest complaint is the cartoony costume he wears in the trailer. Other than that, I’m VERY excited to see the Green Lantern movie! As far as I know, one has never been done. Additionally, GL is one of my favorite characters. I’ve not read the comics much, but he was always my favorite in the Justice League.

Locke Peterseim
    Posted on June 14, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Yes Dave, that is Geoffrey Rush — he’s the VOICE of The Great Tomar-Re (Aka the “weird creature with a name Erika doesn’t know how to pronounce” lol)

8. Alboy
    Posted on June 19, 2011 at 8:14 am

As lousy as its supposed to be, the Green Lantern flic was much better than its harsh detractors make it seem.

9. fantasy_horror_author
    Posted on June 21, 2011 at 5:07 am

I went to see this movie and it was great. Much better than Thor and I liked that, too. So much so that I reviewed it on my eBook review blog (Yes, I know it’s not an eBook): http://crescentsunspublishing.blogspot.com/2011/06/power-rings-forever.html

Don
    Posted on June 21, 2011 at 5:28 am

G.L. had good movie. My only complaint is it had a slow start and needed a little more action. I’m a comic book fan but never really read any GL comics. I like Ryan Reynolds and wished he could have done as good as job as Robert Downey Jr.. Don’t get Me wrong when I first heard RDjr was playing Ironman I thought is was going to be horriable. I am truly glad I was wrong. I couldn’t imagine anyone else playing Ironman.

10. Sportsguy
    Posted on June 22, 2011 at 9:53 am

Just saw the movie and thought it was great. It was at least as good as Thor and a much better back story. I can easily see GL becoming a franchise. It won’t be as lucrative as Ironman, but more lucrative than the planned War Machine spin off. I also think it will end up being better than Captain America, but that’s just IMHO. Those trailers are much worse than GL’s.