by | Jun 2nd, 2011 | 3:50PM | Filed under: Trailers

Earlier this week, a bootlegged version of the international red-band (read: for mature audiences) trailer for David Fincher’s remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo hit the interwebs… and everyone flipped out. In a good way. I saw the preview before it was eventually taken down by The Powers That Be at Sony, and the good news is that it’s almost exactly the same as the official green-band version below — minus a teeny bit of nudity. While I’m still a bit depressed that American moviegoers can’t seem to fully embrace the Swedish films that were adapted from Stieg Larsson’s best-selling novels, I have to admit that I was won over by the US trailer’s quick, dark, snippets; Karen O and Trent Reznor’s “Immigrant Song” cover; and the absolutely perfect all-caps tagline at the end. Plus, I love me some Daniel Craig.

Those of you who’ve seen the Swedish original will probably agree with me that from what we’ve been shown of Fincher’s version so far, it doesn’t look that different. But hey, Let Me In wasn’t too far off from Let the Right One In, either, and it still worked. As Fincher is one of my favorite directors, I am really excited to see how he handles this intensely dark story. I mean, it’s right up there with Seven as far as “sick and twisted” goes, so he should be in his glory. For the two people reading this who somehow avoided The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo… in short, it’s about a journalist (Daniel Craig) and a hacker (Rooney Mara) who team together to solve a murder-mystery at the behest of a rich old guy (Christopher Plummer). And let’s just say things get mighty freaky.

On to the poster, which was also just released. I think it’s pitch-perfect as well. Edgy, boundary-pushing (though toned down from the international version), immediately attention-grabbing.

girl_with_the_dragon_tattoo

I actually wasn’t able to finish Stieg Larsson’s trilogy upon which the Swedish films, and now the US remakes, are based. Just found them too disturbing and threw in the towel in the middle of the second book. Having said that, even though I’m positive I’ll have to cover both my ears and eyes during a few particularly violent scenes that are sure to remain in Fincher’s version, I’m all in for the Feel-Bad Movie of Christmas on December 21.

Are you?

Don’t forget, redbox has all three of the original Swedish Millennium trilogy film:

More redbox movies from the team behind The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo remake:

• David Fincher’s The Social Network, on DVD and Blu-ray (featuring Rooney Mara)
  • David Fincher’s 1997 thriller The Game, starring Michael Douglas and Sean Penn
  • Daniel Craig in Layer Cake and Defiance
  • Rooney Mara in A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), on DVD and Blu-ray

17 Responses to “Movie Trailer: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara”

1. Bob Pendell
    Posted on June 2, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Well, I read all three novels (in English translation, my Swedish being essentially nonexistent) and saw all three movies. Yay!! Really one of the best movie adaptations I’ve seen since “The Lord of the Rings.” I’m looking forward to seeing the American remakes. The trailer looks pretty good, and I’m hopeful. The only question I have is that the title character looks a little tame compared to Ms. Rapace’s performance. Ms. Mara looks insufficiently Goth for the character but I’m willing to be pleasantly surprised. Only real regret is that it’s unlikely we’ll see any more of Larsson’s work.

With love under will,

Bob, Adastra,
    The Wizzard of Jacksonville

2. Tino
    Posted on June 2, 2011 at 8:14 pm

The reviewer says she “actually wasn’t able to finish Stieg Larsson’s trilogy” because it was “too disturbing” and then was allowed to review the US ripoff?
    I find it very interesting that she doesn’t say if she was able to watch the original Swedish version. Did she see “Leon: The Professional”, or only the lame “Point Of No Return”? Or possible, is she one of those folks who detests having to read subtitles
    Rooney Mara looks like a PG version of Noomi Rapace’s R-rated, although the poster is soooo lame Amaerican. Got to show some boobage to pull people in, eh?
    Daniel Craig? Well, he’s sort of got that weather-beaten look that Michael Nyqvist had in the original, that kind of shows that Clearasil was not available in the EU when these guys were growing up.
    My one and only problem with the original Swedish versions is that Ms Rapace is too tall. I keep visualizing a Goth Pat Benatar. That and that all three films are too short.
    I’ve read “Played With Fire” twice, and “Dragon Tattoo” and “Hornet’s Nest” three times each, and I feel cheated that we’ll see no more from Stieg Larsson, unless his immediate family settle the dispute with his longtime partner. Would that unfinished fourth book deal with Lisbeth Salander getting in contact with her long-estranged twin? We can only wait with bated breath.

3. lizc
    Posted on June 2, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I disliked the books, quitting after a few chapters of number two. I did really like the first movie, much more than the book even, but I just found them too much for me, so I haven’t watched the second or third. So basically: I want to see this to see if it’s as good. But I don’t want to see it, because I know what’s in it. I’ll just have to hear from someone else, I guess.

4. Bennett
    Posted on June 2, 2011 at 11:02 pm

if only Red Box machine were not dysfunctional – may be this could be a good business model

We have be trying to return a movie to one of your boxes for the last week – but no success – nada – they keep charging us – and customer service delivers nothing but false statments

short the stock!

5. Dave
    Posted on June 3, 2011 at 9:52 am

@Tino

“Point of No Return” is based on “La Femme Nikita” not “The Professional”.

6. Erika Olson

Posted on June 3, 2011 at 10:20 am

Hi there Tino –

I read the first book in its entirety and saw the Swedish original as well. We writers tend to like to read, so I have no problem with subtitled films, as I mentioned at the very beginning of the post. Later on I said that I stopped reading the second book halfway through, but that bears no relevance to talking about the trailer for the US adaptation of the first novel.

- Erika

7. Oak
    Posted on June 3, 2011 at 10:46 am

Really??? Why is this Erika Olson writer is having an opinion on this subject? You didnt read the books!! This is great story line and yes is a bit graphic next time they should assing you twiglight oe something like that.

cant wait for the.movie!

8. Erika Olson

Posted on June 3, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Oak – Once again, I DID read the first book and saw the original Swedish film. Read my post a bit more closely…

Erika

9. Trevor L
    Posted on June 3, 2011 at 12:37 pm

^_^ Some people take themselves way too serious lol I really enjoyed the first book, but the Swedish movie version left out a lot of what I loved about it, so although I liked it I’m hoping the American version restores them. Unfortunately what I loved were the more ‘boring’ parts lol so I doubt it.

10. Tino
    Posted on June 3, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Dave, thanks, I realized it after posting my rant….so what happened to Matilda after she left that girl’s school? That’s what I kept thinking watching “V for Vendetta”

11. Jennifer Sci Fi Friend
    Posted on June 3, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Hey Erika

I am with you, I read the first book and had no desire to even try books two or three. Glad someone else felts the same way.

Hey Tino and Oak – Back off on Erika and be a little more respectful on the Reblog. Erika does a great job in her movie reviews and read carefully what she wrote about the movie and books. Maybe you need to go in the archives to read what she said about the original Swedish movies. One can watch the movies without having read the books, in my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as we all play nice the sandbox. No need for sand throwing in the Rebox!!!

Peace

FOLLADORDEPROSTIS
    Posted on June 3, 2011 at 7:03 pm

As usual american audiences never watch foreign films,I love foreign films,maybe because I am not american,the remake looks great,is not americanize and is rated R,the only negative fact is that the people who already saw the original swedish movie will already know the ending of the remake

12. Tino
    Posted on June 4, 2011 at 7:36 am

@Jennifer Sci Fi Friend- In your own words, “back off” and “Everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as we all play nice the sandbox”. Sorry, tried to look at her reviews, but Mario Brothers and MTV Awards?
    Get over yourself

13. Trevor L
    Posted on June 4, 2011 at 10:31 am

*cough* troll *cough*

Cheryl Bielich
    Posted on September 23, 2011 at 9:42 am

loved all three movies. and looking forward to the US movies. hope they are as good as the swedish ones.. so good.

14. Dragon lover
    Posted on October 4, 2011 at 10:31 am

I read all three books and found them captivating, I couldn’t put them down and was toren reading the last one for I didn’t want to be done with the series. The Swedish movies were as good as a movie can get when competing against such wonderfully enticing detailed books. My husband, who didn’t read the books thought the movies were very good. I am looking forward to the American movies just to relive the story. I hope they don’t disappoint to much!!!! Plus I really hope the family releases the unfinished book, I will take it!!! Best read in a LONG time.

15. Stalkers