Yay, Nay, or Maybe: The Hunger Games Leads

by | Apr 5th, 2011 | 10:30AM | Filed under: News, Quizzes, Contests & Polls

Hunger Games GuysThe wait is over. Fans of The Hunger Games finally know who will play the three leads in the film adaptations. And the big winners are:

• Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen, heroine of the trilogy. The Winter’s Bone Oscar nominee was the first to be cast, setting off a fury of protests from those not familiar with her work. But I AM familiar with Lawrence’s work and also happen to be a Hunger Games devotee, and I can assure anyone who’s still on the fence that she’s perfect for Katniss. Perfect, I say!
  • Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, who comes to partner with Katniss during the deadly Games. Peeta always struck me as a fairly vulnerable, gentle character (especially when compared to many of the other bloodthirsty and heartless personalities in the series), whereas all of the roles I associate Josh with required him to be cocky and arrogant and pretty much a jerk. So I’m struggling to see him as Peeta, except for a during certain part of the trilogy that I won’t give away out of respect for those two people out there who still haven’t read the books. (Seriously, they’re wonderful — READ THEM!)
  • Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne, Katniss’s lifelong friend who remains behind during the Games and helps to keep the Everdeen family safe. Gale always struck me as having more of an edge to him than Peeta does, and since all I know of Liam is that he dated Miley Cyrus and co-starred with her in the weepy Last Song, I’m really confused as to why Liam and Josh didn’t get each other’s Hunger Games roles.

Let’s hear what you think about the big casting news! If you aren’t pleased with The Chosen Ones, then be sure to head to the comments section and let us know who should’ve been picked to play Katniss, Peeta, and Gale!

Are Jennifer, Josh, and Liam the Right Picks for The Hunger Games?

Loading ... Loading ...

Get to know the cast of The Hunger Games!

23 Responses to “Yay, Nay, or Maybe: The Hunger Games Leads”

1. Trevor L
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 11:15 am

I actually love the casting of Lawrence, but I totally agree on the male leads being backward lol but only time will tell. I’m just happy they both look like men, and not pretty boy supermodels (*cough* Twilight). But, even though they’re the two most important besides Katniss to cast, I’m still more eager to see the casting of other characters, mainly Rue and Haymitch.

2. Boring
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I’m so tired of artists ripping off each other. This movie was already done in 2000 before the HungerGames author ripped off the story from the movie Battle Royale.

3. Ellen
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm

As long as some sort of Hugh Laurie/John C. McGingley hybrid is cast as Haymitch then it’s all good!

4. Sarah
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I think that the male roles need to be reversed. Gale was the HOT one and Peeta was more of a geeky look in my opinion. I can’t wait to see how this plays out!

5. Ali Miller
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 4:35 pm

The guys are all so wrong!!!!! The girl playing katniss is fine BUT WHY DID THEY PICK THOSE GUYS?????? gale should hav been tall, tannish, and striking and peeta should have been Alex Pettyfer!!!!!!!! like really!!!!!!

6. kayle
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm

i am not too sure about Jennifer Lawrence but maybe she will be good for the movie after all!

7. bubba
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Looking forward to the movie, but the above “analysis” is odd. The writer basically appears to be of the view that an actor apparently can only ever play one type of role/personality.

As for the poster referring to stealing stories: a) there are only 5 types of stories to be told anyway, so all are stolen; b) you can go further back to Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman) for “The Running Man” as this appears to be a teen version of that.

8. bree
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I think the girl will be great for Katniss, as for the guys a big NO …

9. Kelly
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Ummmmmm, did they even read it?! WTF – they look absolutely NOTHING like the their characters and it’s very hard to imagine that they can pull off the total transformation required to fill those shoes… but whatever…. Hollywood will do what they do…..

10. Taylor
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 5:29 pm

No way! Josh Hutcherson still looks like a kid and would give it too much of a “Disney Feel.” I also dont think Jennifer Lawrence is just right. Im ok with Liam Hemsworth though. I think AnnaSophia Robb as Katniss and Freddie Highmore as Peeta Mellark would be soooo much better.

11. PM77
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Ok…I totally fell in love with Peeta while reading the book and while he wasn’t as edgy as Gale…he was still pretty hot in my head! Now no offense to Mr. Hutcherson…but Peeta was A LOT hotter in my head than he is. Hemsworth looks like a great Gale! We just need someone equally good looking for Peeta. I was torn through the entire series on which one I was in love with! :) I need to be in love with both of the on the screen too!

12. Cranberry
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Jennifer Lawrence is somewhat growing on me. I’m not sure I’m a fan of the choice to use her yet but it’s hard to tell until I see the movie. I also haven’t seen her in anything else (that I can remember) so I don’t know whether her playing Katniss could help or seriously harm the movie’s quality.
    Josh Hutcherson has always been a favorite in my mind, I love him as an actor, I love all the movies he’s been in, but I just DON’T see him as Peeta. Also, I’ve always imagined Peeta as blonder and less… Josh Hutcherson-y. Although, as much as I DON’T see this, I do believe he could pull it off, and do so fairly well at that.
    As for Liam Hemsworth, I haven’t seen him in a movie either so I can’t say whether he’s a good actor or not. I’m not a huge fan of him, but I think if he makes his hair a little darker, he could pull off my mental image of Gale.
    Altogether, I actually like the choices. If Josh Hutcherson were taller and a little less “childish”, I think the roles should have been switched for Josh and Liam.
    Also, I agree with PM77, I think the two characters should be equally hot in totally different ways. The way it is right now, it’s going to be closer to a 50/50 than a totally equal opinion (some girls will love Josh, some will love Liam, as opposed to all girls not being able to choose between the two). Like in PM77′s comment- “…but Peeta was A LOT hott in my head than he is.” : I love love love Josh Hutcherson, I think he’s really hot. And to me, Liam Hemsworth just doesn’t do anything. Yes, he’s attractive, but he’s not hot. Obviously, I would choose Josh, whereas PM77 would probably choose Liam (between the two choices).

13. Joe
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Katniss is wrong, she should be like the girl in Breakfast Club (the compulsive liar), you can tell she is pretty, she just needs a little sunshine.

14. Diana
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Wow, apparently I’m the only one who likes the addition of Josh Hutcherson to the Games, he’s actually what I thought Peeta would be like (don’t ask me why, because I did read the he was blond in the book, my mind’s twisted like that!). I really hope he delivers. I also think Jennifer Lawrence will be great, but the one I’m not so sure about is Liam, I can’t see him as mega-hot Gale.

All in all, I think it looks very, very promising….

15. JenniferV
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I totally agree with Peeta, this is the kid from Kids are Alright and he showed vulnerability in that movie and a charming side to him. I think Lawrence will do well in the role as well, I don’t think she fits the physical description exhibited in the books but contacts and hair color can fix that I suppose. I HOPE they put John C Reilly in the role of Haymitch (I totally pictured him in that through the book). As well Malcolm McDowell for President Snow…totally would fit that role. Seems made for him…

16. emily
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 7:37 pm

katniss is all wrong not what i imagined she would be at all! the boys i think actually play the perfect roles. but that’s just me.

17. Denise
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I just want Robert Downey Jr. as Haymitch!!!!

18. Hannah
    Posted on April 6, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I always imagine Philip Seymour Hoffman as Haymitch.

19. Amelia
    Posted on April 7, 2011 at 3:44 pm

first of all there is tons of things wrong with these people!!! the girl is a striper freak! not to be mean! the boys should swich parts!

20. C and A
    Posted on April 9, 2011 at 12:58 am

I think that all of the roles are wrong! Jennifer Lawrence is TOO OLD to be playing Katniss and doesnt fit the description in the book. Gale should be muscular, tall, broad, edgy, and all-around attractive, as Peeta should be timid, blonde, and blue eyed. i think that Katniss should have been Hailee Steinfeld and Gale should have been BooBoo Stewart and Peeta should have been Austin Butler!!! I am extremely, EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.

21. Kyra
    Posted on April 9, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I dont like any of the roles they all look too old the guy playing gale is ugly, they’re not what i imagined at all >:(

22. Amelia
    Posted on April 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Im tired of waiting to find out who the other people are going to be! Like Haymitch, Rue, Prim, President Snow, Thresh, and Cato, her stylists, the rest of the tributes, and all those other characters. Anyway I’m very dissapionted with the roles given out. Jennife is way to old and so much NOT like katniss that I can’t imagine whta she will look like. All around im wondering what those people that fix up actors will be able to do to them to make them look right??!!

23. Alex
    Posted on April 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm

The roles are messed up!!!! The boys’ roles should have been switched!!! Jennifer will look hideous as Katniss!!!! there is no posible way for the actors to be fixed up to look like there characters in the book!!! I am still waiting for the rest of the cast to be released.