Yay, Nay or Maybe Poll: Pixar’s Monsters University?

by | Apr 4th, 2011 | 11:00AM | Filed under: News, Quizzes, Contests & Polls

Last week Disney-Pixar announced the official title of the Monsters, Inc prequel: Monsters University. Billy Crystal, John Goodman, and Steve Buscemi are all expected to reprise their voice roles in a story that will take place before 2001′s Monsters, Inc (my second-favorite Pixar film, after Finding Nemo)–presumably showing us how critters like Sulley, Mike Wazowski, and Randall Boggs learned their scary craft.

The Pixar lineup for the next two years is Cars 2 this summer, the Scottish warrioress tale Brave in the summer of 2012, and then Monsters University in theaters in late 2012. With Toy Story 3, that means by the end of next year, three of the last four Pixar films will have been sequels or threequels. (Newt, an original title about two lizards in love intended for release in 2012, has been scrapped. So Rango has the talking-lizard market cornered for now.)

My question for you today is two-fold: What say you all to the idea of Monsters University? And how about the idea of Pixar sequels in general? Pixar is coming off a stunning recent run with original films such as WALL-E and Up, and of course everyone loves Toy Story 3. But looking ahead, is Pixar starting to devote too much of its release slate to giving people more of the same rather than creating new stories and characters? Or is any kind of Pixar probably going to be better than most animated offerings?

Vote in the poll, and then explain your “yay,” “nay,” or “maybe” in the comments below!

How do you feel about Pixar making so many sequels these days?

Loading ... Loading ...

_____

More animated hits from redbox:

10 Responses to “Yay, Nay or Maybe Poll: Pixar’s Monsters University?”

1. Dave
    Posted on April 4, 2011 at 11:18 am

As long as they keep the quality up, I don’t care if it’s a sequel or not.

2. Trevor L
    Posted on April 4, 2011 at 11:33 am

I think the the idea would sell much better as a tv show. Part of the problem of doing a movie prequel is that the character development is scrapped from the first movie and kids who watched it religiously will notice I think, maybe even confusing them (I’m talking the six and up crowd here, not like toddlers).

3. Brentley3
    Posted on April 4, 2011 at 11:40 am

I don’t look at Toy Story as a sequel as much as it is a trilogy. Whether it was intended that way from the beginning or not is irrelevant to me (I could write an 1000 word post defending that thought). I was never really sold on Cars so to see a sequel for it is slightly irritating to me. With Monsters Inc I can get behind a sequel or prequel, but I’m concerned with the general premise. The first Monsters Inc movie had a simple message that laughter is more powerful than fright. Now they are focusing on the monsters scaring again. Of course I may just be over analyzing as I am wont to do.

My point is as long as Pixar keeps the ideas fresh and continue to keep creating new stories along with their sequels, I’m ok with it.

4. Jeremy F.
    Posted on April 4, 2011 at 12:17 pm

being pixar…im sure univeristy will be a story of friendship, and prolly how randall took the easy way out(the scare ladder express lol) and left sully and mike deal with a loss of a friend

i hope it shows them as total dorks and nerds and how they had to rise up…

i do wish for a sequel more though…i know EVERYONE wants to see Boo grown up some when sully opened up the door at the end of the movie!!!

and i recall reading somewhere that bonnie in TS3 was suppose to be Boo, but they re-did her character…that coulda been an interesting story combo…

5. Trish
    Posted on April 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I love Pixar movies. As long as the movies have quality dialog I’m good with sequels. When movies have to go right to DVD it’s time for them to stop.

6. Zatoichi
    Posted on April 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Are we really going blame Pixar for sequels and prequels? This is all Di$ney pushing these.

7. Adam
    Posted on April 4, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Honestly, I’d much rather see original content. Sure, Pixar puts out great quality and I’m sure the sequels will be no exception. And though I thought Toy Story 2 and 3 were very enjoyable, there was just something FRESH about Wall E and Up. My two cents.

8. mary
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 6:23 pm

they can so as many prequels/sequels they want so long as one is for The Incredibles. Prequel or Sequel to the story would be amazing and for goodness sake get Brad Bird back in their already.

9. Joe
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Well if you look at it from a marketing perspective it makes alot of sense to make a sequel of prequel. People have paid good money to see your film and have invested time and money into your characters, and the more successful the film the more true this is. So when deciding on what movie to make next you have to look at your options, do you gamble on a new story and new characters, or do you put time and effort into an existing world/characters on which you can build upon. And taking into account how well sequels normally due this has yet to be disproven. Even the Shrek series whose popularity fell after the 2nd movie but it made enough money to warrent a 3rd. and even that did well enough to warrent a 4th!

as for the Disney wanting big bucks, im not disputing that but I do know that when they originally teamed up with Pixar and made a 5movie contract they didn’t count any sequels. Which is why Toy Story took so long for a 3rd and why neither of the other Pixar movies had a sequel till now, since now their contract includes sequels.

10. Diana
    Posted on April 5, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I guess grown up Boo will be Monsters 3, like Andy in Toy Story.
    I’ll see Monsters anyway, though I always prefer original material.