My 5 Favorite Brad Pitt Movies

by | Mar 14th, 2011 | 2:53PM | Filed under: In My Humble Opinion, Movie Lists, Movies

benjamin buttonSince Angelina Jolie’s better half is in three redbox movies (Kalifornia, Megamind, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), on top of executive-producing three others currently gracing kiosks (Eat Pray Love, The Time Traveler’s Wife, and Kick-Ass), I thought it was high time to discuss the best Brad Pitt movies to date. Here are my five favorites:

5) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – Some people were unnerved by this tale of a man “born under unusual circumstances” — unusual in that he ages backwards. But I loved its message, and feel that even though the chemistry wasn’t quite what it should have been between Pitt and Cate Blanchett, the task of making Benjamin a believable character was not an easy one to pull off. The fact that I never questioned poor Benjamin’s lot in life is a testament to Pitt’s dramatic chops, which are often forgotten in the face of his, er, face.

4) Ocean’s Eleven – Sure, the Ocean’s movies were clearly excuses for a bunch of A-list actor buddies to hang out and goof off in major cities around the world, but they’re still incredibly fun to watch. And the character of Rusty Ryan embodies what I can only imagine the majority of us assume Pitt is like in real life: too cool for school.

3) SevenThis horror-thriller from director David Fincher disturbed me so much and made me so sick to my stomach that one viewing during its 1995 theatrical run was enough. But dammit if some of the worst images from the film haven’t stuck with me all these years. Including, of course, The Ending. Even though Seven wasn’t my cup of tea, there’s no denying that Pitt’s cocky and hyper David Mills was a perfect counter to Morgan Freeman’s just-let-me-retire-already Agent Somerset.

fight club tyler durden brad pitt2) 12 Monkeys - Unlike Seven, which I don’t have any desire to see again, I think I’m about due for a 12 Monkeys re-watch (I know this one’s a favorite of many redblog readers as well). Here Pitt plays the mental patient Jeffrey Goines, who a time-traveling Bruce Willis suspects unleashed a deadly virus upon the world. Brad’s performance earned him an Academy Award nomination and his one and only Golden Globe win.

1) Fight Club – Another David Fincher-directed mind-bender, which — to me — is unquestionably my favorite Pitt film. There was no debate in my mind whatsoever that it would take the top spot. (It would also rank as my favorite Ed Norton movie, too, of course). Pitt IS Tyler Durden, the washboard-ab-bearing bad boy behind an organization that exists in secret for the sole purpose of allowing grown men to beat the crap out of each other while also making them feel guilty about buying stuff from IKEA.

I know there are some BIG Brad Pitt flicks that didn’t make the (my) cut, so let’s have it — what would you add/subtract/replace on this list?

Brad Pitt movies available at redbox:

73 Responses to “My 5 Favorite Brad Pitt Movies”

1. saffron_et
    Posted on March 22, 2011 at 9:43 am

For those of you that think Se7en was Brad Pitt’s best movie–what are you smoking–I guess none of you were paying enough attention at the end to see his over-acted, terrible performance–I thought it should be a spanish novella. My favorite is Babel–amazing movie–and Seven years in Tibet, Snatch (best foreign language film, towards the end I actually understood him a little bit), Inglourious Basterds (even though this seemed like Brad Pitt acting like himself, the movie itself made up for it) and Legends of the Fall.

Thomas.G.Crown
    Posted on March 22, 2011 at 9:52 am

1. Fight Club
    2. Troy, which nobody mentioned and it was a great movie
    3. Mr. & Mrs. Smith
    4. Seven
    5. Snatch, personally this movie was one of his greatest roles not a less but was delivered brilliantly

2. Smallspuds

Meet Joe Black
    Legend of the Fall
    A River run through it
    Troy

6. linda john
    Posted on March 22, 2011 at 11:25 am

I loved him in Troy, partly because when reading the book, you imagine Achilles looking like Brad Pitt. also loved a River runs through it, although sad endings and me don’t go well together. I think my favorite Pitt movie though is Oceans 11. You do imagine him to be that person in real life. In the commentary on the DVD Brad reflects on a piece of jewelry that Jennifer Aniston, his then wife gave him. It was pretty cool, made me like him even more.

7. Brian
    Posted on March 22, 2011 at 11:39 am

Hands down best Pitt movie is Spy Games with Robert Redford…nobody has even mentioned it.

8. kungfuhero
    Posted on March 22, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Hello
    The Mexican

Brad
    Posted on March 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Two come to mind. One is Troy. He is without question in top form. Nobody should forget his big debut in Thelma and Louise.

9. Jan
    Posted on March 22, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Meet Joe Black. I will watch it over and over and over again. What is the movie where he plays an Irishman? I love his “brogue”. He does an excellent job with that accent.

10. Terry
    Posted on March 22, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Troy and Snatch though The Smith’s one with Angelina was funny also.

11. Nancy
    Posted on March 22, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Legends of the Fall! Obviously, some of us are drawn to the more sensitive Pitt movies.

12. tiffany
    Posted on March 22, 2011 at 5:35 pm

My top five Brad movies would have to be…
    1. Fight Club
    2. The Mexican
    3. Ocean’s 11
    4. Interview with the Vampire(Brad and Tom OMG talk about sexy vampires)
    5. Seven(I loved the gore!)

13. tomsamm

3. Inglorious Basterds-kick-assiest
    4. 12 Monkeys- just plain nutty
    5. Cool World- Just because

15. swift
    Posted on March 23, 2011 at 8:15 am

Thelma and Louise!!!

Just kidding. Hated that movie.

I too, thought he was hilarious in Snatch. I’d like to see him do more flat out comedy parts.

16. Jo Adkins
    Posted on March 24, 2011 at 5:11 pm

1. Legends of the Fall
    2. Troy
    3. Spy Games
    4. All of the Oceans
    5. Mr & Mrs Smith

17. Justin
    Posted on March 24, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Best all time….. Spy Game, he and Robert Redford were brilliant.

18. Fred
    Posted on March 27, 2011 at 9:08 pm

1. Across the tracks
    2. a river runs through it
    3. Mr. and Mrs. jones

19. Brenda
    Posted on March 29, 2011 at 1:23 am

Definitely missing a few better picks:

Snatch (he was larger than life- though indiscernable)
    Spy Game (although Redford slightly upstages him in it)
    Inglorious Bastards (again another character that took over the film)

20. cmb
    Posted on April 15, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Mr & Mrs Smith
    TROY
    Legends of the Fall
    Oceans 11
    Thelma & Louise *wink*

Swedina
    Posted on April 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was such a difficult role to play yet he really pulled it off. I felt he should have won an Academy Award for this one.