Movie Trailer: Super 8

by | Mar 11th, 2011 | 6:59PM | Filed under: Trailers

The full-length trailer for J.J. Abrams’ Super 8 (produced by Steven Spielberg) hit the web today, and it caused quite the nerdgasm. Fanboys watched it and then immediately passed out. Its awesomeness was apparently too much for them. Hell, I think a lot of them didn’t even get past the Amblin Entertainment logo screen.

But seriously, film geeks far and wide seem to be collectively nodding their heads, grinning widely, and giving standing Os (alone in front of their laptops, but still) after watching the preview below, so take a look and see if you agree.

Much of the love everyone’s oozing for this spot has to do with the fact that it’s reminding a certain demographic of a lot of classic ’80s movies they liked while they were growing up: E.T., The Goonies, and maybe even Stand By Me (with girls thrown in) to a certain extent.

I really really really want to be as excited as everyone else is about this one, but I’m just not feeling it. I’m not saying I think the film looks bad or anything — it’s just that I’ve been reading and hearing so much about Super 8… and its teaser trailer’s hidden images… and its viral web site ScariestThingIEverSaw.com… and other “clues” about its plot that I’m already crying uncle. It makes me wonder why the hype started as early as it did — May 2010, to be exact — over a year before the film’s June 10, 2011 release date. I mean, was somebody worried that a sci-fi film with both Spielberg and Abrams attached might not generate enough buzz by simply existing? Did they not think any movie bloggers would cover it? Were they worried no one would go see it? Come on.

It’s hard to stay psyched for anything for over a year, and so I think there’s a real risk of backlash if Super 8 doesn’t live up to all the hype. It happened with Cloverfield (also directed by Abrams, and advertised extensively as a “secret project” complete with viral marketing campaign), remember.

Tell me I’m wrong — prove to me that Super 8 is going to exceed everyone’s expectations! (Or you could agree that you’re already sick of it, too.)

J.J. Abrams films currently at redbox:

12 Responses to “Movie Trailer: Super 8”

1. Jayne
    Posted on March 11, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I never had a desire to see “Cloverfield,” but this is on my “Yes, I will pay for a ticket to see it in a movie theater” list. I think because it does, for me, evoke the nostalgia factor. But I was born in 1967 and probably saw ET at the theater at least 20 times.

gregdhardin
    Posted on March 12, 2011 at 10:59 am

Thank God someone out there is sane and rational. This has disappointment written all over it. There is no way to create a pay off for the kind of hype they create for Abram’s flicks. They spend more time and effort on lame “clues” and nostalgic set design and props and people jizz in their frickin’ pants. Dude, yes, I had all those toys, I remember how it looked outside when I played with them, what the toy box looked like, it’s not blowing my mind.

Abrams is speeding towards M.Night Shylaman territory and the reason people cosign a lot of this BS is because they don’t wanna feel stupid in admitting that they’re being let down after all the hype they participated in. There’s finite choices in the movie medium. There’s only a few things THAT WON’T BE TOTALLY LAME that a mystery can reveal. Alien, Robot, Angel, superpowered mutant what else is there? I frickin’ ask you. Oh, wait, government supersoldier… there. And poor execution in any of these areas… well you saw Cloverfield.

But alas, surprise me, I WANT IT TO BE AWESOME cause I wanna see something awesome.

2. TrevorL
    Posted on March 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm

You’re darn right about the hype machine being annoying, but the trailer itself was pretty sweet.

3. matphoto
    Posted on March 13, 2011 at 4:50 am

I haven’t seen any hype save for this trailer and the first one you posted here way back when. That initial trailer definitely sparked my curiosity, but this one let me down. I guess the scope of the movie in this case is probably vastly greater than the trailer indicates, but there must have been some way they could’ve hinted at the rest of the movie more without really revealing anything. Honestly I was really hoping this would be a more successful ‘cloverfield’ type found footage approach but with super 8 film.

4. Jeremy F.
    Posted on March 14, 2011 at 11:38 am

@greg – i think super soldier is ruled out…it kinda hinted at whatever it is was eating dogs all around the area or something…

Locke Peterseim
    Posted on March 14, 2011 at 2:07 pm

What? Like a super soldier couldn’t be responsible for the missing dogs? Super soldiers gotta eat, too.

I think it’s going to be the bestest movie EVER — look at all the lens flares! Abrams proved it in Star Trek: Lens flare = awesomeness!

6. Matthew the Movie Geek
    Posted on March 14, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I really, really hope it doesn’t suck. There is a lot of that trailer that reminds me of E.T., especially that one scene a large group is sitting around a table…yeah, I totally think that scene is going to be a copy from the E.T. same scene.

The hype does worry me a bit, though thank goodness they haven’t shown what it is…like they did for Cloverfield…I was ticked when they had made you not know, and then in a trailer…yup, there’s the monster…why’d you have to kill the suspense!!!

7. David
    Posted on March 16, 2011 at 11:20 am

Red box is just like any other rip off company,they have a little success then they get greety,start killing people on overcharges,they dnt make it another day another dollar,they wait till u missplace a couple for a few days and take 30 and 40 out your acount,do that a hundred or so thousand times a month,do the math.the blue box dnt do that,my 10,12,a month wasnt good enuff,greed.never see my money again.

8. Matt in Dallas
    Posted on March 20, 2011 at 10:00 am

I want to see it. Hype be damned. E..T was the best movie of my childhood and Spielberg is trying to win me back. I’m in.

Dogs were missing, but they all ran away, not eaten. That’s what I heard him say. They all showed up at other houses miles away. Even Abrams knows you can’t kill 100 dogs and endear the audience.

Let’s all hope this is the Summer of Super 8 and Howarts.

9. Matthew the Movie Geek
    Posted on March 22, 2011 at 12:27 am

What I think would be sooo awesome, is if they don’t show what it is at all. Seriously, leaving your imagination to do the work can be sooo much more powerful than even the best reveals.

Cloverfield’s slow reveal worked great, but I almost liked it more when you didn’t know what it was that just ripped the Statue of Liberty’s head off, or what was tearing through downtown while the military unloads on it.

10. tammy snow
    Posted on June 12, 2011 at 6:46 pm

star wars was a classic.

11. tammy snow
    Posted on June 12, 2011 at 6:48 pm

alot of the movies produced lately have been second rate .