Great. One More Thing to Be Afraid Of: Killer Tires!

by | Mar 24th, 2011 | 10:45AM | Filed under: Trailers

I’ve always loved the tagline for the 1983 adaptation of Stephen King’s Christine: “How do you kill something that can’t possibly be alive?”

I immediately thought of John Carpenter’s horror flick about King’s murderous 1958 Plymouth Fury when I heard about Rubber. Only this time it’s not an entire car on a killing spree — it’s just one lonely tire.

This might just be the most bizarre film that’s come out in recent history. I’m sure you agree! (And if you don’t, name a movie that’s stranger, please.) Rubber was written and directed by Quentin Dupieux, who’s better known in his homeland of France as Mr. Oizo, a DJ and electro-house musician. His first attempt at filmmaking was screened last May in Cannes — and then made appearances at a few other smaller festivals — and apparently the reactions were wildly mixed, with some audience members booing while others clapped.

No matter how you feel about the trailer, you’ve gotta give props to these retro-vibe posters. (And no, they didn’t misspell “tire,” they just used the British spelling for the European spot.)

rubber movierubber movie

rubber movierubber movie

If you MUST know what becomes of Robert The Tire — and the unlucky citizens of the town he decides to terrorize — then check out this release schedule to see if Rubber will be coming to a theater near you. And don’t forget to get your tires rotated, patched, washed, filled with air, or whatever else you might need to do to keep them happy. Better safe than sorry!

Be prepared! Let these redbox movies teach you about other creatures just waiting to get their hands (teeth? claws? fangs?) on some humans:

11 Responses to “Great. One More Thing to Be Afraid Of: Killer Tires!”

1. Donna Grunewald
    Posted on March 24, 2011 at 12:24 pm

That looks CRAZY!!! How could that be at all believable?

2. JawaWaxer
    Posted on March 24, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I used to be excited for Thor and Captain America…

Now i’m excited for RUBBER!

3. Rex B.
    Posted on March 24, 2011 at 1:29 pm

It can’t be as good as Birdemic.

4. Donna Grunewald
    Posted on March 24, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Do all tires have names, or only ones with telepathic powers? Can the tire talk? How do we know his (its) name is Robert?

5. Erika Olson

Posted on March 24, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Donna –

While I personally believe that all inanimate objects deserve names, I found out that Rubber’s star was named Robert from the film’s official synopsis:
    “When Robert, an inanimate tire, discovers his destructive telepathic powers, he soon sets his sights on a desert town; in particular, a mysterious woman becomes his obsession.”

So I didn’t just take the liberty of deciding he “looks like a Robert,” if that’s what you were wondering! : )

- Erika

6. Donna Grunewald
    Posted on March 24, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Alright, I guess I’m willing to accept that the tire’s name is Robert, but how was that fact communicated to the filmmakers or characters? I guess I’m just not ready to believe the tire can communicate.

Erika, can you find out for us if Redbox will be carrying Rubber when it comes out on DVD?

7. Trevor L
    Posted on March 24, 2011 at 10:34 pm

It’s just so ludicrous I’ll have to watch it. Which makes it genius.

Dave
    Posted on March 25, 2011 at 8:17 am

No love for Sharktopus?

8. Erika Olson

Posted on March 25, 2011 at 10:17 am

As of right now there are no plans for redbox to carry Rubber in the future — it’s a pretty obscure foreign title, unfortunately! But maybe it will be at an arthouse theater near you at some point – keep checking the schedule!

- Erika

Jeremy F.
    Posted on March 25, 2011 at 12:02 pm

just a heads up…HDNET Movies is showing it like 4 times on Wed (Mar 30), i have the DVR set!!!

I love how they show movies before theaters…

9. Donna Grunewald
    Posted on March 25, 2011 at 4:34 pm

It’s also available streaming from Amazon, but I always prefer the value of Redbox.