Movie Trailer: Something Borrowed, Starring Kate Hudson

by | Feb 23rd, 2011 | 4:14PM | Filed under: Trailers

The trailer for Something Borrowed — based on Emily Giffin’s huge, huge, HUGE international bestselling chick-lit novel — surprised me. Why? Because it’s a rom-com starring Kate Hudson that doesn’t look awful. Like everyone else, I adored Kate as the Groupie With a Heart of Gold in Almost Famous… but there hasn’t been much she’s been a part of in the past decade for me to rally behind.  Le Divorce, Raising Helen, Fool’s Gold, My Best Friend’s Girl, Bride Wars… ? Um, no thank you. But Something Borrowed? I dare say it looks really cute.

I am apparently one of the only women in the world who did NOT read the book, so I’m coming from a totally newbie perspective — I had no preconceived notions about these characters, what they should look like, or how they should act. All I know is that the main guy, played by Colin Egglesfield, is very easy on the eyes, and I’m shocked I haven’t heard of him or seen him in anything else before (some quick research reveals that he’s been on TV shows I didn’t watch, like All My Children and the recent-but-now-defunct Melrose Place remake). The overall plot reminded me of a funnier and more upbeat version of The Romantics, in which Katie Holmes is faced with her true feelings for Josh Duhamel… at his wedding to Anna Paquin.

Something Borrowed was directed by Luke Greenfield, who was behind 2004′s The Girl Next Door, which I LOVED and always felt was totally underrated and overlooked. So now I’m even more hopeful that there’s a Kate Hudson film I’ll enjoy in the near future — May 6, to be exact.

In the meantime, I would love to hear from those who are familiar with the novel — yay or nay to this trailer? And to the fellas out there — is this movie even remotely in the universe of films you’d ever want to see, or is it too girlie? I’m serious — I can’t tell! I mean, John Krasinski’s character is probably there to add in some much-needed sarcastic guy humor, right?

Redbox movies from the cast of Something Borrowed:

11 Responses to “Movie Trailer: Something Borrowed, Starring Kate Hudson”

1. Trevor L
    Posted on February 24, 2011 at 8:21 am

How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days was decent…. I mean, chick flicks are gross. I have to like Hudson now, she’s having my favorite rock stars baby.

2. katie s
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I have read the book. Super exited there is a movie I pictured Darcy as Kate Hudson the whole time. HONESTLY!!! the other girl idk who that is. But from what I have seen it looks to be lining up with the book well. I can’t wait.

3. FabCat
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Coming from someone who has read the book (albeit not in a really long time… so I’m torn as to whether I’m going to reread it before seeing this movie), I think it looks like it’ll be a good movie. Mainly because it doesn’t seem like a “cookie cutter” rom com, which seems to be the majority of what’s come out recently.

I don’t remember there being a John Krasinski character, so I definitely think he’s thrown in there for the guy appeal. And the lead guy is super yummy, so worth seeing just to ogle him for a couple of hours. I think it’s interesting that Hudson (who usually plays the heroine) is playing the character you’re supposed to hate (which is really easy to do in the book, given that it’s written in Goodwin’s character’s perspective). So I wonder if they’ll tone down the complete self-absorbed *itch that she is in the book bc she’s being played by Hudson.

And there’s sequel potential, since Giffin’s follow-up book, “Something Blue” is based on Hudson’s character. Smart move, movie people.

4. Lisa
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I loved the book, and am so excited to see the film adaptation! From the previews, it looks as though the movie will follow pretty closely to the novel…Can’t wait!

5. Amy
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Loved the books! Trailer looks promising!!

6. Joyce
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm

The movie looks great. It looks like it bears a slight resemblance to the book (being same basic plot idea and character names), but it still looks like it could be an excellent movie!

7. jamie
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I loved the book!! Can’t wait to see the movie, when is it coming out??

8. Julie
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 7:43 pm

How to lose a guy in 10 days was a funny movie. I love Ginnifer Goodwin so excited for this movie. I have not read the book.

9. Meg D
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Read the book(s). The trailer looks great! Can’t wait to see the movie and for “Something Blue” to come out as a movie too! I would like to see all of Emily Giffin’s books as movies.

10. Bethany
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 9:25 pm

LOVED the book!!! (and the sequel, Something Blue, which continues the story from Darcy’s viewpoint) and CAN’T WAIT to see this movie!!!! It looks AWESOME!!!