Another Curious Marketing Campaign from Tyler Perry

by | Feb 21st, 2011 | 1:07PM | Filed under: Movies, News, Trailers

Longtime redblog readers know that I looooove writing about Tyler Perry’s, um, “interesting” movie marketing campaigns. I also love the inevitable comments that come through from the gazillionaire’s loyal fans, hating on me because I dared to make even the teeniest negative observation about anything even remotely related to his films.

Well, everyone can breathe easy today, because I really did get a kick out of the slew of promotional pieces for his latest and greatest: Madea’s Big Happy Family. (We actually have the play version on DVD at redbox right now.)  Once again, there’s really no rhyme nor reason to the campaign, other than the fact that these spoofs of other famous film posters really do grab your attention (and the copy is admittedly funny).

madeas_big_happy_family madeas_big_happy_family

madeas_big_happy_family madeas_big_happy_family

And lastly, a spoof of The Brady Bunch (which probably makes the most sense of all of the posters considering the title and subject of the movie):

madeas_big_happy_family

So what do you think? Does the attention-grabbing quality of these posters outweigh the fact that they really don’t tell you anything about Madea’s Big Happy Family? Is Tyler Perry’s fan base so strong that it really doesn’t matter how his films are marketed, so the creative team might as well have fun with it? That’s how I’m leaning.

More from Tyler Perry at redbox:

24 Responses to “Another Curious Marketing Campaign from Tyler Perry”

1. moviegoer123
    Posted on February 21, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Hilarious! I think the posters are very attention-grabbing and very creative!

2. LYNNE
    Posted on February 27, 2011 at 1:42 am

I love madea!!

3. marcus
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 12:49 am

If Tyler Perry was white, he be consider’d a genius!! Go on Brotha!

ORTOOSSI
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 1:05 am

Tyler Perry sure has come a long way since “IN LIVING COLOR”

4. Alfredar Ratliff
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 6:02 am

this redblog spoof of Tyler Perry Funnies is Great.

5. Elaina
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 7:55 am

Tyler u are one of the greatest!!! And u are a GENIUS because of what can u do!

Elaina
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 7:58 am

Tyler is the greatest! And he IS a GENIUS because he is soooo talented!

6. AD
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 9:33 am

He should do a short movie skit for every last one of those posters. I would certainly watch. He’s definitely a GENIUS AND SO ON POINT WITH HIS HUMOR.

7. mg
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 9:58 am

I agree with the writer. The fan base is strong. Plus, you don’t really go to see Perry’s movies for a good plot, directing, or acting. You go to laugh. That’s exactly what these posters advertise… laughter.

@ ORTOOSSI – Tyler Perry was never on “In Living Color”. You are probably getting him mixed up with Keenan Ivory Wayans or another of the Wayans brothers.

8. Marcia
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 10:23 am

Wooooooooooooow Mr perry, he is the Man or should i say the Madea like no other…Love me some Tyler Perry whatever he put his hands on is a
    winner!!!!

9. Susan Mull
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 10:25 am

Tyler Perry is a multi-talented GREAT!!!! ALL of his movies are great, plus in this movie he has a lot to comment on! (I wonder what he will try next??)

10. BabsG
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Tyler Perry is one of the greatest black writer/director/actors I have ever seen. Keep up the great work Tyler. Whatever you put out there, I am going to watch. Don’t hate y’all. By the way, “For Colored Girls” is your best work yet. Your choice of actors was key. And lastly, for you who don’t know the Bible says laughter is medicine. It reads in the King James version, “A merry heart doeth good like a medicine”.

11. patricia chissell
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Tyler Perry is awesome.A master of talent.He has an eye for potential in others. He doesn’t seem to miss.I have seen all of the plays and the movies. Tyler does not just put together a script but,he has a message. We can all learn from Tyler.Keep up the good work Mr.Perry.

12. BabsG
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Proverbs 17:22
    A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones….
    to be exact.

13. Laurie G
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I have a rules that I live by and one of them is, if Tyler Perry wrote/produced it, I’m going to see it. I think I’ve seen everything he’s done so far and have not been disappointed yet. I think he is very funny, yes, but I think he has some great principles about living that he does a great job getting across no matter what color your skin is. I happen to be white. I think he is a truly good man and very talented. I look forward to anything new he will be doing. For Colored Girls was great.

14. tanjknowitall
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Some great ideas. Although Madea will be good at anything.

15. Rose Kerns
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I love Tyler Perry and have all his movies except ‘Can do bad ..’ and the new one, For Colored Girls. I see all movies he makes because he is so talented. However, I only buy what I know I will watch over and over again and to date that’s all but two. For Colored Girls was not one of those although I thought it was fair. Not what I expected from Tyler, but understand that he has many layers to him that need to be viewed by everyone. I’m just waiting for that next great comedy/drama that he is going to make. Madea’s Happy Family sounds like a great title to his next great movie. I like seeing him in the Madea role and also his great ability to act without the Madea makeup. For me, it’s way too long between movies. I want more Tyler Perry movies.

16. PAMELA D.
    Posted on March 2, 2011 at 2:37 am

I HAD GOT ALL EXCITED THINKING I WAS ABOUT TO GET ME GOOD LAUGH I HOPE TYLER DECIDES TO DO EVERY ONE OF THESE I’LL PAY IN ADVANCE TO SEE THEM. DO YOUR THING TYLER LET THE HATERS HATE WE LOVE YOU!

17. k
    Posted on March 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm

or maybe because he’s said he doesn’t want to make madea movies anymore this is his way of a big blow out to say good bye to madea. I think it’s completely rude of fans to over look all the greatness in his movies for the cheap laugh at a character that is the greatest translator between the good and bad in all the movies Perry includes her in. Madea’s character means a lot more to his movies than a laugh and I wouldn’t blame him for no longer including the character in the movies so they are no longer devalued by shallow viewers.

18. Angel
    Posted on September 2, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I love Tyler Perry! My youngest daughter introduced me to his movies and I just read his book, “Dont make a black woman take off her earrings” Advice from Madea on life and love, hilarious.

19. celia
    Posted on December 6, 2011 at 10:39 am

I appreciate Tyler Perry’s clean, Christian messages in his plays and shows.

Veronica
    Posted on December 13, 2011 at 3:54 pm

oh my goodness! I saw these and couldn’t stop laughing! LOVE the sence of humor!!!

wanda richardson
    Posted on September 4, 2012 at 8:26 am

ive seen all his plays and movies to date and i have his book everything he touches is great everyone of his movies has something to say or that we can relate to abusive relationships drugs sexual abuse i can go on and on they are just fantastic he worked hard to get where he is todau kudos to you tyler keep up the good work