A 24-Hour Movie Marathon — Could You Do It?

by | Feb 17th, 2011 | 4:41PM | Filed under: Award Shows, For Your Consideration, Other Bits

Attention all extremely energetic movie lovers who are up for a challenge: AMC Theatres is helping prepare film fans for the Academy Awards on February 27th by hosting the 5th annual AMC Best Picture ShowcaseSM this Saturday and next. One hundred thirteen theaters across the country will be screening the ten Best Picture nominees on the 19th and the 26th — five films in a row on two concurrent tracks each day. If splitting up the task sounds too easy for you, then perhaps you’re more suited to visit one of the fifteen theaters in major cities across the U.S. that are going to be showing all ten Best Picture nominees back-to-back… all on February 26, and just in time for Hollywood’s big night.  Whoa. That’s a lot of sittin’ and starin’ at the screen.

Could you do it?

That video kind of makes you want to try and pull it off, no?  Promise me this: If any redblog reader actually does the marathon, please write in and let us know — we’d love to hear about your experience.  All details about the marathon can be found here — they’re even throwing in a gift card to use at the concession stand.  Being able to achieve such an impressive cinematic feat all comes down to proper sustenance, people! Buttery popcorn and Junior Mints are really the only things you need to survive, right?

For those of you who aren’t going to be able to steal away for twelve or twenty-four hours to catch the Best Picture nominees in the cineplex, don’t despair! Half of the films are available right now at redbox:

Winter's Bone1) The Social Network, on DVD and Blu-ray

2) Winter’s Bone, on DVD and Blu-ray

3) Inception, on DVD and Blu-ray

4) The Kids are All Right

5) Toy Story 3, on DVD and Blu-ray

6) Black Swan

7) The King’s Speech

8) The Fighter

9) 127 Hours

10) True Grit

The countdown to the 27th is on!

(Speaking of the Academy Awards, if you think you know who’s going to go home with the gold in each major category, then be sure to log your picks in the redbox Movie Awards Game!)

15 Responses to “A 24-Hour Movie Marathon — Could You Do It?”

1. nathaniel
    Posted on February 17, 2011 at 11:49 pm

no! movie overload!

2. Fiirvoen
    Posted on February 18, 2011 at 10:53 am

I’ve done something like that. Just after the last crappy Star Trek came out on DVD (before the current one), a friend of mine who is a huge Trek fan talked me into watching all of the star trek movies back to back. It took 23.5 hours. I only fell asleep during the last one for about 20 minutes. It was rough.

3. millar74
    Posted on February 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I”m seriously considering this. In the process of seeing if anybody is as crazy as I am ;)

4. millar74
    Posted on February 19, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I’ve purchased my tickets. wish me luck!

5. Avery
    Posted on February 20, 2011 at 9:55 am

I for sure would watch all ten back to back~I am going to ccheck to see if it showing somewhere in my neck of the North. I love moives.

6. Sandy
    Posted on February 20, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I DEFINITELY COULD DO THIS!!!!

7. Sandra
    Posted on February 20, 2011 at 10:11 pm

As long as there are NO CELL PHONES allowed. Its a distraction and I wish all movie viewers will wake up and understand the constant getting up from their seats and seeing the lights of the cell phones go off is a nuisance. If a call is so important DO NOT go to the movies. I would do even though I have seen three of them I wouldn’t mind seeing them again. I am going to go with an empty stomach because I never see a movie without popcorn and a drink.

8. yvette
    Posted on February 22, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I would love to go, but finding someone that will want to spend 24 hours watching movies with me.

9. Sue
    Posted on February 23, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I Know I can do this……..I have one question…How much will it cost to get in? Someone let me know. Thanks.

10. Erika Olson

Posted on February 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Hi there Sue –

Pricing information is on the site I linked to in the post…

Have fun!
    Erika

11. William thompson
    Posted on February 25, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I watch all the star wars moveis and the xartoon in a row

12. LYNNE
    Posted on February 27, 2011 at 1:40 am

would be crazy not to

13. millar74
    Posted on February 28, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I went, I saw, I stayed awake the WHOLE TIME and have lived to tell the tale. I am still processing the whole thing but promise to provide more detail and answer any questions. I will say that I recommend the experience to any movie lover.

14. Arianne Street
    Posted on March 1, 2011 at 9:22 am

Three movies in a row is too much. Unless there are free refills or you walk into the theatre with a ham under your arm for snacks. The Popcorn, soda and candy will break you or give you bad dreams as you sleep through the important parts.