When I watched The Twilight Saga: Eclipse again after it came out on DVD, it hit me that almost all of my favorite scenes in the film series to-date involved characters OTHER than the three love-triangle leads. So I think it’s time to give a shout-out to the unsung heroes of the Twilight phenomenon.
Here’s who I consider to be the five best characters in the world of Forks (OK, six — ’cause there’s a tie for fifth place):
5. TIE! Mike Newton and Jessica Stanley – Bella’s friends provided the comic relief that was sorely needed in the first adaptation — and we all know that Anna Kendrick (Jessica) went on to make quite a name for herself in Up in the Air. I’m hoping for that same kind of break-out for Michael Welsh (Mike), whose illness during the “Face Punch” scene in New Moon totally stole the show (and, to me, was the second-best part about that movie… read on for the best). I sincerely hope we see a lot more of both Jessica and Mike in Breaking Dawn.
4. Aro – Michael Sheen as the leader of The Volturi was, hands down, the best thing about New Moon, don’t you agree? That’s why I was really bummed that we weren’t treated to another performance from him in Eclipse. For those of you seeing TRON: Legacy this weekend, tell me if you don’t detect a bit of Aro-ness in Sheen’s catty Castor.
3. Rosalie Hale - It’s funny, because in the books I adored Alice Cullen, but I can’t stand her in the films. Conversely, I thought Rosalie was a whiny brat in the novels, but she very much grew on me in the movies — especially in Eclipse. Her heart-to-heart talk with Bella about the life she’ll be giving up to become a vampire — and that crazy Vengeful Bride flashback! — were highlights of the third film.
2. Billy Black – Played with quiet confidence by Gil Birmingham, Billy (Jacob’s father) provides a calming presence for the lovesick, hormone-ravaged teenagers surrounding him. You believe that this guy’s seen it all… and that he fears for what will become of his tribe now that “the cold ones” have returned to their area. And you also know that he probably wishes he could smack Bella for how she treats Jacob!
1. Charlie Swan - For me, if they didn’t get Charlie right in the films, the entire franchise was going to be a lost cause. That’s why I was so pleased when I saw how Billy Burke embodied all that I had envisioned for Charlie when I read the books. He’s the protective dad (with good reason), he’s the stoic cop, and — along with Jacob — he’s the biggest reason Bella has to second-guess her desire to join the undead.
Who would’ve made your Top 5? Let me hear it!
Is all this Twilight talk making you a bit shaky? Get your Twilight fix now! You know you wanna…