Could Jeremy Renner Become the New Face of Mission: Impossible?

by | Nov 27th, 2010 | 12:32PM | Filed under: News

Last week in an interview with MTV News, Jeremy Renner said the plan is for for him to eventually take over Mission: Impossible starring duties from Tom Cruise. The star of The Hurt Locker and The Town is currently filming Mission: Impossible IV: Ghost Protocol, which stars Cruise and is being directed by Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Ratatoullie, The Iron Giant). M:I IV will be in theaters in December, 2011.

The idea of passing the torch to another actor (a la Harrison Ford and Shia LaBeouf in Indiana Jones) has been kicking around since Cruise first started talking about bringing back the M:I franchise. (J.J. Abrams’ M:I 3 came out in 2006.)

Renner is hot these days thanks to his searing performances in The Hurt Locker (for which he nabbed an Oscar nomination) and The Town. He’ll go directly from working on M:I IV to playing Hawkeye in Joss Whedon’s The Avengers, due out the summer of 2012. (A role he chose over the lead in Peter Berg’s Battleship, which he’d also been in talks for.)

Renner told MTV, “[Mission: Impossible is] a franchise to potentially take over. I can’t predict the future and what they want, but that’s certainly the idea.”

What say you all? Is Renner a good choice to take over M:I ? Or should the M:I franchise even be continued without Cruise’s Ethan Hunt?

____

More Renner from redbox:

Buy other Mission: Impossible movies and seasons of the original TV show from redbox:

More counter-espionage action available for rental from redbox:

7 Responses to “Could Jeremy Renner Become the New Face of Mission: Impossible?”

1. Trevor L
    Posted on November 27, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Choosing Hawkeye over Battleship was probably var

2. Trevor L
    Posted on November 27, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Choosing Hawkeye

Locke Peterseim
    Posted on November 27, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I’m assuming you had some posting/connection problems when trying to leave your comment, Trevor. Or is “Choosing Hawkeye” the name of the new rom-com super-hero script you’re writing?

4. Trevor L
    Posted on November 27, 2010 at 11:47 pm

my keyboard is broke lol k

5. Trevor L
    Posted on November 27, 2010 at 11:51 pm

K, fixed it. The tab key was jammed and kept sending things as soon as I started typing. I was trying to say choosing Hawkeye over Battleship will probably prove to be very wise, but only time will tell.

Locke Peterseim
    Posted on November 28, 2010 at 2:35 am

I still like my interpretation….

“She’s a high-strung, over-achieving party planner; he’s a sharp-shooting super-hero who looks good in purple but can’t hit the target when it comes to love–can Cupid’s arrow bring this crazy couple together before they kill each other? (Or die in the Kree-Skrull War?) Find out in CHOOSING HAWKEYE, coming soon to a theater near you!”

7. Trevor L