The Top 5 Paul Rudd Movies

by | Oct 13th, 2010 | 10:52AM | Filed under: Movie Lists

CluelessOver the past few years here on redblog I have repeatedly declared my love for Paul Rudd. (I try to remind people of it at least every other week.) So imagine how thankful I am that I didn’t keel over when I actually saw him in person last year and therefore lived to see the day when the film that made him famous — Clueless — found its way to redbox kiosks. Hooray!

To celebrate the arrival of Clueless — which joins a lot of other great “new classics” in the redbox Replay category, I thought I would share with you what I deem to be the Top 5 Paul Rudd Movies. And they are…

5) Wet Hot American Summer - Though I’m not as enthusiastic about this 2001 cult fave as are most fans of The State/David Wain, it makes the list simply because Rudd is such an against-type jerk in it, as evidenced by this hissy fit.

4) The Shape of Things – In this adaptation of Neil LaBute’s play of the same name (in which Rudd also starred), Paul plays a dork who is caught off guard when the beautiful Evelyn (Rachel Weisz) takes an intense interest in him. But, uh, since it IS from LaBute, there’s clearly something darker going on…

3) Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy - “Afternoon Delight.” Need I say more?

2) Clueless - This was almost my #1, but I decided against it taking the top spot because Paul doesn’t have that big of a role in the film. All he did back in 1995 was merely win the hearts of millions of girls across the land — something that’s, you know, a normal day’s work for him.

1) Role Models – This was one of my favorite films last year, and it’s also one of very few movies that I wanted to see more than once. Rudd is at his absolute funny-leading-man best… and it didn’t hurt that the supporting cast was hilarious as well.

I’d also like to give Honorable Mentions to Forgetting Sarah Marshall, in which Rudd played the surf instructor Chuck… or “Kunu,” and Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet, in which Paul tried to win over Ms. Capulet as “Bachelor of the Year” Dave Paris.

I know I left some biggies off of this list and I am prepared to hear about it!  What say you?  What would have been in your Top 5?

Reserve a copy of Clueless tonight! (Note: not all redbox Replay titles are available in all areas.)

39 Responses to “The Top 5 Paul Rudd Movies”

1. SM West Rudd Fan
    Posted on October 19, 2010 at 11:54 am

I went to High School with Paul Rudd and was in his sisters class (2 years younger). He is an incredibly stand up guy. He was popular in high school but was not a stuck up jerk like most popular people. He was very cool guy. I think he has done a great job growing his acting career and am excited to see him do even more.

2. L C
    Posted on October 19, 2010 at 12:28 pm

You forgot ‘I Love You Man’ – That movie is hilarious – I would have made it #1. I would also rate ‘The 40 year old Virgin’ in your list somewhere.

3. Claudio
    Posted on October 19, 2010 at 12:32 pm

What about Knocked Up? Or 40 Year Old Virgin?

4. angelcop74
    Posted on October 19, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I’ve been in love with Paul Rudd since the first time i saw Clueless in 1995, and while your list is pretty good (thanks for including the underrated Wet Hot…) i prefer my Paul Rudd adorable, and self-deprecating I ALWAYS recommend I Could Never Be Your Woman, to all my female friends that love him too. I don’t think anyone actually saw this movie and that’s a shame, because we fall in love with him for all the reasons Michelle Pfeiffer does (check out the dance scene from the movie on youtube to see what i mean).
    And then there’s the other forgotten gem, I Love You Man. For some reason I’ve found people either LOVE this movie, or HATE it, but Paul plays an adorably dorky “Normal guy” so beautifully, you have to love him. The scene after the bar when he tries to give his new friend a nickname on the fly, and fails miserably, or the many times he tries without success, to match his new friends witty dialogue.. that wins it for me every time.

5. Cassandra
    Posted on October 19, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I would have absolutely out I Love You Man as #1-he was comedic gold in that movie!I’m biased because I’ve seen it an embarrassing amount of times(lol),but he was unbelievably hysterical in that movie,so that would’ve definitely been on my list!

6. tiffany
    Posted on October 19, 2010 at 2:00 pm

What a great actor!

7. jimi
    Posted on October 19, 2010 at 2:55 pm

yea def “knocked up” was stupendous funny

8. pam
    Posted on October 19, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I fell in love with Paul Rudd in Clueless. I like all of his movies that I have seen. What is the name of the one with Jennifer Aniston where Paul plays a gay guy? He has great reach for a young actor. Sooooo cute!

9. Pat
    Posted on October 19, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I agree with with ’40 Year Old Virgin’ and I thought ‘I Love You Man’ was awesome. I think he does awkward better than anyone! I would also add an older movie to the list – Overnight Delivery with Reese Witherspoon – at his slapstick best!

10. Kristen
    Posted on October 19, 2010 at 9:33 pm

The object of my affection is one of my favorite movies ever, and the first time I fell in love with Paul Rudd, even if he did play a gay man. I agree too that I love you man and 40 year old virgin also deserve to be on the list. But Role models has by far been my favorite as well.

11. Christine
    Posted on October 19, 2010 at 11:00 pm

What about the Object of my Affection with Jennifer Aniston… definitely should be in the top five! I love the goof he plays in Fogetting Sarah Marshall too…

12. Cinnamon
    Posted on October 20, 2010 at 10:36 am

Overnight Delivery…..he was HILARIOUS! Reese Witherspoon with dark hair too, what a trip
    And the Object of My Affection, sure he plays a gay guy but still,,,yumm lol

13. naomi
    Posted on October 22, 2010 at 11:30 am

Yum! I love Paul Rudd! Although it is a tv show, not a movie, I loved him as Phoebe’s boyfriend Mike on Friends. Also, LOVED him in 40 Year Old Virgin! “Smoke my pole!” But I too fell in love with him in Clueless, one of my all time favorites :)

14. Petrina
    Posted on October 27, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I typed in Paul Rudd on the netflix site and he has been in a bunch of movies. He has even appeared in Sesame Street a couple of times. The movie “Over her dead body” in 2008 was pretty hilarious! I would have to say it would be my #2 right behind Clueless.