Hangover 2 Drops Mel Gibson

by | Oct 29th, 2010 | 8:00AM | Filed under: News

Mel GibsonRemember when Mike Tyson’s cameo in The Hangover was billed as part of his “comeback”?  Well, Mel Gibson’s people were hoping for the same thing — a quick appearance in the sure-to-be-a-hit sequel would’ve been the troubled actor/director’s first step toward rebuilding his image in the public eye after several years of… well… you know. (Perhaps no one told Gibson’s PR team that Tyson later admitted to using the money he got from his Hangover gig to fuel his drug habit at the time… ?)

But it’s not gonna happen.  Gibson had originally been tapped to play a “pivotal” role, rumored to be an aging tattoo artist with a temper that the guys run into during their exploits in Bangkok.  Now it’s Liam Neeson’s part.

So what happened? Director Todd Phillips insists that Gibson was never “fired” from the film because he’d never been officially hired.  “It wasn’t like we fired somebody. [Gibson] was just doing a favor from the beginning,” he told People.  The reason for the switcheroo seems to have been discord among the “family” comprised of the sequel’s cast and crew. The Hangover 2 Movie PosterThough Phillips was quick to say Zach Galifianakis was not the leader of the Get Rid of Mel movement, the funnyman had told a radio show weeks prior that he was in “deep protest right now with a movie I’m working on, up in arms about something.” Now the controversy is kaput.

You all already know how I feel about this: I’m glad Gibson’s out and Neeson’s in. What’s your take? Or does none of this even matter because the sequel’s never going to be able to live up to the original anyway?

• Yearning for pre-TOTALLY-crazy Mel? Check out Edge of Darkness. (Read Locke’s review.)
  • Prefer the kind of comedic relief that only Zach Galifianakis can offer? Then reserve a copy of Youth in Revolt.
  • Or see Serious Zach make a brief, heart-wrenching appearance alongside George Clooney in Up in the Air

6 Responses to “Hangover 2 Drops Mel Gibson”

1. Sparky
    Posted on October 29, 2010 at 9:27 am

Don’t really care about Mel being in or out.
    However with the story being in Bangkok, there is the “potential” to match or surpass the original. Lets hope that it’s Shrek 2, surpassing the original when no one thought it could possibly match it.

2. Sparky
    Posted on October 29, 2010 at 9:28 am

BTW i have “What Do Tigers Dream of” as a ring tone option!

3. Trevor L
    Posted on October 29, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Yea, Mel is over. He has a great filmography and needs to melt into obscurity now. There’s no need for him to recover. I just wish you didn’t have that Liam Neeson is in the spot now, cuz it ruins that surprise.

4. Fiirvoen
    Posted on October 29, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I would liked to have seen Gibson in this. I have deep misgivings about a lot of actors personal lives, including Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman, but all three are great actors and if they can come across as self-deprecating (or parodying), then their comedic performances are that much more enjoyable. All I need to do is point to Les Grossman to show what that can mean for an Actor and their relationship with the audience. I think this would have been the perfect role for Gibson. Liam Neeson as a tough anything just leaves me disinterested. Granted, I haven’t seen taken though.

5. Erika Olson

Posted on October 29, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Oops, sorry, Trevor! But it’s been headline news (in the movie world) all week, so since the movie isn’t coming out until Mem Day 2011, and since I’m betting they’ll have Neeson’s spot in the trailer, my hunch is you would’ve heard before you saw it. But I do apologize.

6. matphoto
    Posted on November 1, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Fine with me – can’t go wrong with Neeson.