Movie Trailer: Clint Eastwood & Matt Damon Team Up Again for Hereafter

by | Sep 15th, 2010 | 4:00PM | Filed under: Movies, Trailers

Begin a sentence with, “There’s a supernatural thriller coming out about…” and I’ll cut you off and reply, “Say no more. I wanna see it.” Supernatural thrillers are my thang! But we all know that a lot of films in this genre can fall flat, despite intriguing premises (I’m lookin’ at you, Legion). That being said — and despite several mixed reviews coming out of the Toronto International Film Festival at its premiere earlier this week — I’m still holding out hope for Clint Eastwood’s Hereafter. It follows three characters’ encounters with death and then supposedly weaves the experiences together near the end. It is, of course, being called “Sixth Sense-ish.” (I pretty sure there’s a rule somewhere that says any movie having to do with death/ghosts must at some point be compared to M. Night’s crowning achievement.)

I loved the trailer… until I had to bust out laughing at the very end when that voice-over guy randomly shouted “HEREAFTER.” Um, we can read what it says, buddy. Totally unnecessary.

So what do you think? Will Hereafter do the supernatural thriller genre proud when it opens on October 22?

5 Responses to “Movie Trailer: Clint Eastwood & Matt Damon Team Up Again for Hereafter

1. wisthrop
    Posted on September 15, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Looks like a great movie! The trailer had me on edge and goosebumps on my arms until, like you said, the voiceover. I laughed out loud at that. Ruined the whole trailer. Other than the voiceover, I think they’ve got a great movie here.

2. Jimmy
    Posted on September 15, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I have not seen a Clint Eastwood dirceted moive I did not like. I don’t think it will be any diffrent after this one. Glad I saw the trailer before I read what you said b/c thats all I’d be waiting for “Hereafter”.

3. Ashley
    Posted on September 15, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Poor voiceover guy only gets one word and it’s the most obvious one possible … Sheesh.

I generally can’t handle supernatural thrillers very well, but this one looks like it might have just enough drama mixed in (and fewer “jumps” than some) that I may have to check it out.

4. Fred
    Posted on September 18, 2010 at 6:45 pm

It’s not a Sixth Sense type thriller, supernatural or otherwise. A big effects sequence aside it’s a quiet, low key drama about three people trying to come to terms with having lost someone close. Anyone going to this expecting supernatural schtick would be advised to save their money. On the other hand those who want to see a superior human drama will be well satisfied, especially if they share what Richard Corliss referred to as ‘Eastwood’s mature, melancholy worldview.’

And FWIW I think that trailer is absolutely superb.

5. Raelynne
    Posted on October 12, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Hmm, the voiceover did not worry me in the least. And I would put forward that the Sixth Sense is in itself a superior human drama. But back to Hereafter, I loved the trailer it is very effective and if it is an accurate glimpse into the movie I can see myself loving the movie as well. Clint Eastwood is such an exceptionally honest and brave director and the cast looks very interesting, Im really looking forward to Hereafter. Hope it wont be too long after the US release before we get it down here in Oz. Cheers xo :-)