What’s Your Ending?

by | Aug 24th, 2010 | 3:30PM | Filed under: Redbox Insider, Redbox On The Road, Videos

We’ve been on the road for a few weeks now, so we’re starting to hear the same questions over and over again. The most popular? “How’s your film going to end?” When we explain that we’re shooting a documentary and don’t have a pre-planned ending the way narrative films do, people seem genuinely stumped.

So we decided to hit the local redbox kiosk to find out what people think makes a good movie ending. Note: if you haven’t seen Inception, you may not want to watch this video!

19 Responses to “What’s Your Ending?”

1. Matthew S. AKA Matthew The Movie Geek
    Posted on August 25, 2010 at 12:54 am

Top Ones For Me:

Inception
    The Mist (I know Locke will back me up on how messed up that movie ends)
    The Prestige
    Pi (It’s the symbol, but I don’t know how to do it here)

(Notice how two are Christopher Nolan Films?)

2. Angelsinar
    Posted on August 26, 2010 at 9:35 am

Hello – “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn!”

3. Sandi
    Posted on August 26, 2010 at 9:43 am

I just saw Remember Me and the ending was a complete surprise. I had no idea it ended that way!

4. Elliott Metoyer
    Posted on August 26, 2010 at 10:21 am

The ending to The Book Of Eli is very good and a huge surprise

5. Mike
    Posted on August 26, 2010 at 10:26 am

Fight Club, Resevoir Dogs, and Usual Suspects

6. Jon Fullerton
    Posted on August 26, 2010 at 10:53 am

My favorite movie ending…
    The credits at the end of the movie “The Hangover” all time best ever ending!

7. Ev
    Posted on August 26, 2010 at 12:53 pm

The Sixth Sense! Definitely a surprise ending!!

8. Ron
    Posted on August 26, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Twists and shockers are fine in their own way, but I find good old-fashioned applause endings satisfying. The two of these that spring to mind are the original Star Wars (episode IV) and Titanic.

9. Mary Jean
    Posted on August 26, 2010 at 3:32 pm

My new favorite ending is in “A Perfect Getaway” with Steve Zahn. My older favorite endings are “Shawshank Redemption” and “The Usual Suspects.” Killer movies, killer endings!

10. c_a
    Posted on August 26, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Post-ending of Ferris Bueler’s Day Off or the Title chartacter at the end of Birdy: “What?”

11. Brenda
    Posted on August 26, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Loved the Last Song!

12. Ted Bergey
    Posted on August 26, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Conspiracy theroy .when Alice Suttons riding her horse and realizes Jerry is still alive.Suspence love story from beginning to end

13. Isabel Campos
    Posted on August 26, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I love the ending to “Dracula 2000″ great twist to dracula beginnings. Gerard Butler is great as Dracula in this.

14. Colleen Ellaine Deaton
    Posted on August 26, 2010 at 10:47 pm

“Gone with the wind” Clark Cable saying “frankly my dear i don’t give a damn” then the door shuts…..

Also any movie with a twist you don’t expect

15. Joyce Lindholm
    Posted on August 26, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I love them but I hate them when a movie has such a surprise ending like 7 pounds. I still really haven,t figured for sure what the seven pounds was.lol

16. charles bilbo
    Posted on August 27, 2010 at 12:32 am

star wars- when luke and han were given the metals by the princess, ( as well as chewie ) the death star was destroyed, the droids were all shiny. they all get cheered on.

17. Bill Thompson
    Posted on August 27, 2010 at 7:38 am

No ending I remeber beats the huge government warehouse scene at the end of Raiders of the lost Ark. I’ll bet places like that really exist!

18. Scott Hatfield
    Posted on August 27, 2010 at 9:53 am

Most movies (Especially American made)seem to have a happy ending. The distributors and promoters probably feel American audiences can’t handle the truth…that all things in life do not end happily. I also love a happy ending, but it is refreshing to see a movie that rings true. [SPOILER ALERT!!!!] In the movie “Funny Games” the heroine “Naomi Watts” is dropped overboard to her death from a small sail boat, still alive, but bound and gagged. The villains in the movie… two preppy, golf loving, young psychopaths then sail on to their next victims. A chilling ending to a bizarre and unsettling script by writer, director Michael Haneke.

19. Matthew S. AKA Matthew The Movie Geek
    Posted on August 27, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Scott: I agree that a lot of the genre that sells is endings with a resolution that lifts people up. Because with all of the horrible things that happen around us, who wants to sit through a two hour movie, cheer for the hero, and then watch them fall and lose everything?

[BEGIN POSSIBLE SPOILER]

Perfect Example= “The Mist” A group of people are trapped in a grocery store while a strange mist envelopes the area. People are killed by creatures, the people become monsters themselves in the way they treat each other to survive, and in the end when a group is escaping, they turn to what shreds of humanity and decency they have left to decide what to do. The ending still shocks me and I have seen it dozens of times.

[END POSSIBLE SPOILER]

I agree too that happier endings are often more satisfying and reaffirming that everything will be ok. But take recent films like “The Hurt Locker”, “Revolutionary Road” (or almost any film by Sam Mendes), that aren’t afraid to hold punches, that show you real life. Those are the films that are more refreshing.

Even take “Inception”, that ending leaves you wondering about a lot of things, and it’s the first movie in a while that’s made us think, when normally all we want is a film we can drink a coke, eat some popcorn and just sit back and watch for 2 hours to escape our own lives.