We Returned It on the Road

by | Aug 23rd, 2010 | 4:54PM | Filed under: Redbox Insider, Redbox On The Road, Updates from the Road

The Road to RedboxLiving on the road means checking out of a different hotel, bed and breakfast, or friend’s basement every day. Each morning we have to run through an extensive list of equipment to make sure we haven’t left a charger, flash, or lens anywhere. Inevitably, we always forget the redbox movie that’s wedged between suitcase number one and two or randomly left in someone’s freezer after a particularly long day (sorry, Lisa!).

While our chargers cost serious cash to ship overnight, we can rest easyKick-Ass when it comes to movies. In fact, Lisa defrosted our copy of Kick-Ass and returned it to her local redbox kiosk on her way to buy some groceries the next morning.

Chances are you’re not traveling as much as we are. But that doesn’t mean you can’t use “Return Anywhere” to your advantage. Here are a few scenarios in which “Return Anywhere” will become your new best friend.

Scenario #1: You’re on a date that seems to be heading straight to the friend zone. You pick up Cop Out, the least romantic movie you can find, only to catch your female companion giving you a look that says your night might turn out differently if you pick up a copy of The Last Song. You hit up your mobile GPS and hightail it to the local McD’s, which conveniently has a redbox out front. Return and replace for another buck.

Scenario #2: You’ve just gotten a promotion at work, so you pick up a copy of Capitalism, A Love Story to celebrate your new paycheck. As you’re driving home, your brother calls to tell you he’s been dumped. You switch Capitalism out for A Spongebog Squarepants: Spongebob's Last StandSingle Man at Walmart and reroute. As you do, your sister calls and says she’ll be dropping your niece off at your brother’s to help cheer him up. You return A Single Man at a grocery store kiosk in favor of Spongebob. Two minutes later you get a text saying that everyone has decided to go to bed early. Back at square one, you drive up to a McDonald’s and rent 2012, because that’s the year you’re likely to make a decision about what kind of movie you want to rent.

Scenario #3: You want that new flat-screen TV. You need that new flat-screen TV. Trouble is, you can’t get your wife over to Best Buy without tricking her into it. Lucky for you, you’ve got a copy of Furry Vengeance to return. As you’re driving home from the grocery store, a moment of genius “spontaneously” strikes as you whip the movie out of the glove compartment. “We’d better return this!” you say as you pull up to the nearest redbox kiosk, conveniently located right next to a Best Buy. Done and done.

What’s your best “Return Anywhere” story?

8 Responses to “We Returned It on the Road”

1. Donna Freemanw
    Posted on August 23, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I can’t believe you painted your Redbox kiosk blue to match Walmart’s new paint color here in Huntingdon, TN. Branding is everything. When your sign says Redbox the box should be red.

2. Neftali
    Posted on August 24, 2010 at 8:31 am

IT IS GREAT THAT YOU CAN RETURN AT ANY LOCATION, I AM IN PUERTO RICO, NEVERTHELESS I HAVE A FEW SUGGESTIONS, I HAD CALLED A FEW TIMES FOR THE SAME ISSUES BUT STILL THERE.
    SOME BOXES STATED 7PM RETURN, SOME 9PM RETURN, WHAT IS THAT?
    THE CREDIT CARD SWIPE IN A FEW LOCATIONS IN MAYAGUEZ WORK ONLY A FEW DAYS DURING THE WEEK, MAINLLY MAYAGUEZ MALL LOCATION(WALMART), KEEPS DOING IT EVEN THAT IWE HAVE CALLED SEVERAL TIMES, AFTER THE CALL SOMETIMES IS DOWN 3 OR 4 DAYS, HEY YOU NEED TO SPEED UP YOUR TECH SERVICE, SLOW TECH SERVICE MEANS LESS MONEY FOR YOU, ANGRY CLIENTS AND MORE… THIS IS A FRIENDLY SUGGESTION.
    ALSO YOU NEED TO COME UP WITH A BIT MORE SELECTION, LOTS OF TIMES I GO TO 3 DIFFERENT RED BOX LOCATIONS AND FIND NOTHING TO SEE AS I HAVE SSEN IT ALL, GETTING NEW RELEASES FASTER WILL HELP.
    BY THE TIME THE NEW RELEASE COMES I HAVE ALREADY SEEN IN THRU ANOTHER LOCAL MOVIE RENTAL STORE ALREADY FOR OVER 2-3 WEEKS, MEANING THAT YOU LOST THAT RENTAL, I DONT THINK IS ONLY ME, A LOT OF MY FRIENDS ARE GOING TO THE SAME PROBLEM.
    ALSO THE FREE PHONE MOVIE RENTALS(THE ONE YOU SEND MY TEXT ON THE PHONE), CAN YOU EXTEND IT FOR A FEW DAYS SO WE DONT HAVE TO RUSH TO GET THE MOVIE OR LOOSE THE RENTAL WHICH MOST OF THE TIMES HAPPEN?
    OTHER THAN THIS YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS GREAT, THE HAVE SOLVED SOME OF MY ISSUES WITHIN A FEW SECONDS, I HAVE NOT ENCOUNTER A RUDE CUSTOMER SERVICE YET, THAT IS GREAT!! GREAT LOCATIONS AND PLENTY OF THEM, ALWAYS GOOD LIGHTING AT THE LOCATIONS AND IT IS GREAT TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO GO AND GET A MOVIE 24/7.
    PRICE YOU CAN NOT BEAT AND IT IS REALLY EASY TO RENT A MOVIE OR RESERVE ON LINE, BY THE WAY, WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO BE ABLE TO PROVIDE THE ABILITY TO USE COUPONS WHEN YOU RESERVE ON LINE?

WELL I HOPE THAT WE ALL CAN GET A RESPONSE FROM YOUN ON MY COMMENT, KEEP THE GOOD WORK AS YOU HAVE DONE SO FAR.

3. Dave
    Posted on August 24, 2010 at 9:09 am

REDBOX is awesome!! We love it!! Thx Redbox!

4. Bonnie
    Posted on August 24, 2010 at 11:52 am

I live in a little town with no movie rental store – shocking, I know! I have tried the Blockbuster $25 a month mail rental system and the waiting sucks. I don’t get fast enough internet to have a download streaming movie subscription service either. Although we only have one traffic light in my little town, we have a RedBox! Yay! However, I commute a little over an hour to work everyday in a larger nearby town. There is a redbox at the gas station right by the interstate, so I can rent from there on my way home (spur of the moment “I wanna watch a movie tonight” phone call) and then return either in town or on my way back to work the next day. My roommate can also rent from the in town redbox and then have me return it on the way to work the next day so she doesn’t have to worry about it. Return anywhere rocks! We use it all the time!

5. Belle
    Posted on August 24, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Donna Freemanw, I think that some of them are blue because they have Blueray movies. BLUEray. Don’t get so hostile so fast…

Anyway, I love how you can return the movies anywhere. (: Really helps when I go on a mini-vacation and bring a RedBox movie alone, and just return it while on vacation. ;D

6. Karenn
    Posted on November 23, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Totally. I used the site to find a grocery store kiosk, picked up a movie on my way from work to my nieces apt. Returned it at the grocery store kiosk a few blocks from my home. Obviously we would have been doing re-run movies that night, if not for “return anywhere!” ~ k

7. Tanya
    Posted on November 27, 2011 at 1:58 am

We are traveling through 3 states on a mini vacation. Redbox is great we picked up a few movies and plan to watch them and return them in the city or state we are finished watching them in. It lets us see a town we wouldn’t have normally ventured into, and pick up a new set of movies. :-)

8. Christina
    Posted on May 1, 2012 at 8:06 am

I am a flight attendant so I travel a lot…. I love redbox because I can rent a movie in the terminal for my overnight so I don’t have to pay the ridiculous movie fees at the hotel. Then I can just drop it off when I leave town in the morning or when I get back to my base. What a great concept! So easy, so inexpensive. Why couldn’t I have thought of this? ;-)