Redbox Etiquette

by | Aug 27th, 2010 | 6:09PM | Filed under: Redbox Insider, Redbox On The Road, Videos

We’ve visited more than our fair share of redbox kiosks over the past month, which means we’ve had plenty of opportunities to witness breaches of redbox etiquette. While this video isn’t a complete list of wrongs, it’s probably enough to get the conversation started. Who knows? Your etiquette tip may be in our next video!

45 Responses to “Redbox Etiquette”

1. Donna
    Posted on August 27, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Man! I hope I never got stuck behind THAT guy at my local Redbox!

2. moviegoer123
    Posted on August 27, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I agree with Donna: I hope I never meet that guy who did Redbox the wrong way.

3. Vicki
    Posted on August 27, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I got stuck behind someone who was on the phone for 15 minutes talking to her husband. Then it took her another 5 minutes to decide after 15 minutes. Would be nice if people could just reserve online and pick up at red box.

4. Bryan
    Posted on August 28, 2010 at 8:54 am

Have been behind people a few times that have read almost all new movie titles, and didn’t rent a single one. If people are waiting I try to hurry up and if I can’t make up my mind I let them go ahead and I finish after them.

5. Cat
    Posted on August 28, 2010 at 9:36 am

Not sure if this is a question of etiquette or just common courtesy. But picture this…it’s 8:52, you just came from The Redbox that USED to be by your house but is now gone, there is a line of 4 people waiting, and now you would make the 5th. Doesn’t look promising does it??? As the woman at the box scrolls through the movies and reads each and every description the clock just ticks away and everyone in line is starting to get antsy. So as the problem solver you are, you say to the lovely woman with the 5150 tattoos down the back of her calves,”Excuse me, mam.” No response (my guess is she had never been called mam before). This time a little louder,”MAM.” As she turns around and looks at you like like she is fresh out of the penn, you say ever so politely,”Would it be possible for you to allow those just returning movies to do that quickly to avoid getting charged late fees?” What was said after that, weeeellllll, we will leave to the imagination. But how fortunate do I feel that this happened! Now I know that even if you return your movies a little after 9:00 PM, the fabulous Redbox gives you a grace period! Who knows how long! But now I can feel confident that Redbox cares about my life!

Seriously though, that happened and common courtesy to me would have been to allow the others to just return their movies. Am I wrong? My recommendation to Redbox would be to create a return slot on the sidethat simply gives a green light if you’ve returned successfully…red if issues. Shoot or even a whole other screen.

6. C
    Posted on August 28, 2010 at 10:59 am

in the rare instances i haven’t reserved the movie online, i ALWAYS ask if there if anyone there that just needs to pick-up or return and if they want to go ahead of me. it’s the unspoken redbox rule! i usually get the same favor returned.

7. Shelly
    Posted on August 29, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I have only had problems with other people once and there are many red boxes in my area. This is such a great service that is affordable and I love that I can reserve online.

8. Ashley
    Posted on August 30, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Particularly for parents with small children: the online features are fantastic. It’s an easy way to make sure the movie is waiting for you, avoiding that moment when your kid is demanding something they see on the display case that just isn’t in that kiosk at the moment.

Added bonus: it avoids the group decision-making problems that anger the people behind you in line. (Same goes for hordes of teenagers, couples with obviously different ideas as to what to watch that night, and That Guy Taking A Poll On His Phone In Line.)

9. Teddy
    Posted on August 31, 2010 at 7:25 am

Thankfully, I’ve never had these problems. Only problem I’ve had was when it was very cold with snow on the ground, that the (outside) Redbox would not work. I had reserved my movies online and could not pick them up.

10. Susan
    Posted on August 31, 2010 at 11:24 am

I love redbox! I reserve online and pick them up. Redbox notifies my email of any new releases as soon as they are released and voila I get first dibs!

11. Chanler Casper
    Posted on September 2, 2010 at 5:38 am

Did the “sidwalk blocker” in this video forget to put his car in park?

12. Melissa
    Posted on September 5, 2010 at 8:12 am

I like that when I have rent/returned movies I can ask or I am asked what movies are being returned… you know THAT KIOSK doesn’t have the one u want but here comes someone to return, of ur lucky its the one u wanted, and u just saved a trip to another kiosk.

13. cassie
    Posted on September 25, 2010 at 9:09 pm

i agree, if u dont know what movie u to rent n u hav a line formin behind u, jus leav or let them quickly get ther movie or return their movie n then look more aftr they hav left. i hated havin to wait to return my dvd at work on break n hav my break mins tick away. thts y i graciously look online n reserve a movie or 2 or i look to see wat possibly mite b available n then also look for a back-up movie online to rent later that day w/a promo code so i wont hold up a line tht is forming. if i see a line at a kiosk, i jus go home n hope tht there wont be a line next time i go to work n see the kiosk rite in the doors… also, ppl need to start takin more care of the dvd cases cuz i hav gotten sum beaten up ones tht i was afraid the dvd was also gona b as damaged n i would hav to sit thru a movie tht skips constantly cuz of the scratches n worry bout my dvd player wont get harmed by the dvd bein damaged itself.

14. cassie
    Posted on September 25, 2010 at 9:12 pm

oh, n its also great tht the online redbox has all the info on all the movies, so tht way u can read all the info at ur convience at home, tht way u dont hav to waste time or take forevr at the kiosk itself to read bout the movie jus to see if it mite interest u. n tht way, ur not makin othrs wait as long!!

15. Amanda
    Posted on October 15, 2010 at 11:17 am

I second Cat’s suggestion about the return slot. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve been in a rush and all I had to do was simply return ONE single movie (which takes less than 10 seconds) and the person at the redbox just couldn’t help but hold me up for 10-20 minutes. On the very rare occasion (ie, when I have a free rental code) that I need to search for a movie, if I see someone holding a dvd, I ask them “are you just returning?” If they say “yes” I kindly allow them to return their movie, then I resume my search, and I do this as many times as I need to so that I’m showing common courtesy. You know the old golden rule about doing unto others, well I try to abide by that, maybe more people should try using the golden rule, it’d probably end all wars and we’d all just be able to get along. lol

16. Add
    Posted on October 24, 2010 at 11:40 am

Here is another thought. It could be that the person in front of you, taking too long, is using the redbox for the first time and is trying to figure out the machine. I probably took too long when I used the machine for the first time.

17. Jason
    Posted on October 28, 2010 at 5:01 pm

If RedBox want’s to continue its growth, a return only slot needs to be implemented.

18. kathy waldron
    Posted on November 6, 2010 at 12:29 pm

i stood in a line waiting for a woman to use the redbox, and it must have taken her 40 mins!! for petes sake!! by the time she was done there was at least 8 people behind me…and if that wasnt bad enough, when i got my movie, i turned to leave the redbox and the man behind me was right on top of me, looking over my shoulder to read the screen as i was scrolling through them….personal space people, please! personal space!

19. Mike
    Posted on November 14, 2010 at 10:47 pm

I agree. Redbox you have a major issue on your hands. Returning the disc should only take a few seconds bit recently I keep getting stuck behind very RUDE people who feel that it is ok to stand and read every possible DVD description and take 15 -20 mins to pick a movie. There needs to be a better return option. You keep bragging about how many people are using the service now…that number will shrink if the return process keeps being held up by your rude customers. I just want to return the movie and be on my way asap. Standing around to return is a joke.

20. John
    Posted on November 16, 2010 at 9:43 pm

How about a Redbox with a screen on each side?

21. Chuck
    Posted on November 19, 2010 at 12:11 am

How about this one for etiquette

I’ve been a Redbox customer since they came out. I’ve reserved online and rented direct. This is the first time this has happened to me. I reserved a movie on Wednesday night and picked it up Thursday afternoon and returned it Thursday evening. I always get confirmation and receipt emails. This time I got two receipts. The first was my regular receipt and the other was a notice for an extra day. I’m pretty familiar with the system. But, when did Redbox start double charging?

Now for the etiquette: I called in and asked why I was double charged when I only had the movie for a few hours. Shouldn’t I have until at least 9:00 p.m. if not the next day? She rudely responded that I have to reserve after midnight. I have been a loyal customer for years and have never been charged extra for returning a movie either the same day or the next day. I think I am going to start searching for an alternative movie source. What’s your opinion?

Locke Peterseim
    Posted on November 19, 2010 at 7:19 am

Chuck, please contact redbox’s Customer Care specialist Nick directly via e-mail at nlullo@redbox.com. He deals with these sorts of issues all the time and will be happy to help you out asap.

23. cathycullen
    Posted on November 22, 2010 at 5:46 pm

i wish redbox could offer more movies. we live in a busy area and sometimes the selection is very small..how come some of the redbox machines are blue now???

24. not2happy
    Posted on November 26, 2010 at 1:04 am

I’ll tell you what is bad etiquette!!! Me reserving a movie and your machine being out of order when I get there. So now I have to try to get my money back. You should list which locations are out of order on your website! You also should have a page that lists my reservations so that I can cancel them in such cases as these. This is the last time I use Redbox. What a racket! I thought you guys were giving Netflix a run for the there money but not with this kind of @#%^&.

Locke Peterseim
    Posted on November 26, 2010 at 7:38 am

Not2happy, whenever that happens just call Customer Care at 1.866.REDBOX3 (866-733-2693).