Zach Galifianakis is Omnipresent. And That’s Fine By Me.

by | Jul 15th, 2010 | 10:38AM | Filed under: Trailers

When Locke labeled Zach Galifianakis as an “Up-and-comer” in his piece last summer about “That Funny Guys,” mainstream moviegoing audiences had only been introduced to the offbeat comedian three months earlier in The Hangover. Fast-forward one year, and now you’d be hard pressed to find a film-lover who doesn’t know who the bearded funnyman is (even though the majority of people still might not be able to correctly spell or pronounce his last name… poor guy).

Anyone remaining who isn’t familiar with Zach G. will have that situation remedied by the end of 2010. In early May, he delivered what I felt was the best opening monologue of the entire Saturday Night Live season (yeah, Betty White, I said it!).  At the end of this month he’s starring alongside Paul Rudd and Steve Carell in Dinner for Schmucks. As you might remember, I’m cautiously optimistic about that one, based on its trailer.

Then in the fall he’ll be showing off his dramatic skillz in the adaptation of Ned Vizzini’s “It’s Kind of a Funny Story.”  (It’s OK if you immediately thought of the Sicilian mastermind from The Princess Bride when you read that last sentence. I thought of him when I wrote it!) I’m loving its preview:

My favorite part was the “One, zip” at the very end.  Awesome. Unfortunately, as of right now, It’s Kind of a Funny Story is only scheduled for a limited release, beginning on September 24.

A month and a half later, Zach will return to his sweet spot in the road-trip comedy Due Date.

Truth: I almost spit out my tea at the very end when Zach was all, “You better check yourself, before you wreck yourself.” The look on his face was priceless. I just don’t see how this movie can be anything short of fantastic. Downey Jr., Galifianakis and Jamie Foxx? And it’s directed by The Hangover/Old School‘s Todd Phillips?  Hello, I’m sold.  I also have a hunch that for once this is one of those trailers that does not give away the best parts of the film. It’s gonna be a loooong wait ’til November 5.

In 2011 Zach’s already booked for The Hangover 2, Town House, and a voice role (Humpty Dumpty) in the Shrek spin-off, Puss in Boots.

On top of all that, he’s in FOUR — count ‘em four — movies that are currently in redbox kiosks. There is no escaping The Galifianakis. Don’t even try. If you want to celebrate his facial hair and pot belly and much-deserved success, you can catch him in:

Youth in Revolt, as Michael Cera’s mom’s gross boyfriend.

Up in the Air, as a disgruntled employee given very bad news by one George Clooney.

G-Force, as the human helper of super-spy guinea pigs

and, of course,

The Hangover, as the dimwitted Alan.

I just realized that Zach might be my favorite comedian out there right now.  Sorry, Will Ferrell.  Maybe you’ll regain your #1 spot if The Other Guys kicks butt.

11 Responses to “Zach Galifianakis is Omnipresent. And That’s Fine By Me.”

1. Bobby
    Posted on July 15, 2010 at 10:48 am

Am I the only one that remembers Late World with Zach on VH1? That was my to Mr G. it was hilarious, and he said he hated it beause he didn’t like dealing with the celebrity guests BS.

Or how both Seth Galifianakis on Jimmy Kimmel…

Ive been a fan of Zachs for a long time, and am happy he is geting his time to shine. Although, it’s kinda like when you liked THAT band when no one knew about them, but when they became popular your all like “Yeah, I saw them at such and such a club 5 years ago when they were still small time. So I am cooler than you”..

2. Scott
    Posted on July 15, 2010 at 10:58 am

I agree. Galifianakis is atop my list right now (and no, I couldn’t spell his name without scrolling up to see how you had spelled it). Have you seen Zach Galifianakis: Live at the Purple Onion? Hilarious.

3. moviegoer123
    Posted on July 15, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I recently saw the trailer of The Other Guys and that film looks pretty good for an action-comedy film. The trailers look good but I’ll probably see those films Due Date and It’s Kind of a Funny Story on rent.

4. Fiirvoen
    Posted on July 15, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I was a fan of Galifianakis back when he appeared in Bubble Boy! Booyah!

5. Fiirvoen
    Posted on July 15, 2010 at 3:23 pm

That was to everyone but Bobby…

6. Matt in Dallas
    Posted on July 15, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I agree he was great on SNL

7. Lise
    Posted on July 16, 2010 at 2:15 am

I first saw him on Tru Calling w/Eliza Dushku. Been a fan ever since.

8. naptowngirl
    Posted on July 16, 2010 at 8:50 am

Yeah, watched him Live at the Purple Onion on my instant Netflix and it was pretty hilarious. I had no clue who he was till I saw the Hangover last summer but now that I do I’ve been investigating him and some of his older stuff and I must say, he has slowly worked his way into becoming one of my favorite funny men as well, can’t wait for Due Date, I think combining those three actors is a no lose combination!

9. kevin
    Posted on January 4, 2011 at 5:34 am

2 words …. “Out Cold.” Oscar worthy.

10. African Mango
    Posted on October 16, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Awesome webblog post. Everyone should to look at this thing. African Mango Review!! It has helped many people.

11. games for computer free
    Posted on October 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I appreciated your present post.