Yep, More Vampires.

by | Jul 29th, 2010 | 6:44PM | Filed under: Trailers

Let’s hear it for the motherland: Go Sweden!

My name’s Erika Olson, remember. My ancestors hail from the land that brought you IKEA, ABBA, Roxette, Ace of Base, lingonberry jam and lutfisk (which, admittedly, might just be the nastiest stuff ever.) And guess what else the Swedes delivered in the more recent past? Stiegg Larsson’s Millenium trilogy of novels, the first (and most likely best) adaptation of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and in 2004, a dark, haunting book by John Ajvide Lindqvist entitled Let the Right One In. It was a bestseller in its home country, but not many people knew about it stateside until it was adapted for the big screen by Swedish director Tomas Alfredson and made the rounds in limited release at the end of 2008.

Even though I’m usually a scaredy-cat, I’d heard such good things about the film that I forced myself to see it (here’s my review). It ended up being in my Top Ten for the year, and I still find myself thinking about young Oskar and Eli every now and then. Well, I’m actually thinking about them a lot recently, because the American version (the original was in Swedish with English subtitles) is coming out on October 1.

That’s right, not only is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo being remade for us Yanks (Daniel Craig has been secured as Mikael Blomkvist, and four relatively unknown actresses are in the running for Lisbeth) — Let the Right One In: For Those Who Can’t Read is already in the can.  Cloverfield director Matt Reeves was the one to take on the project, which was renamed Let Me In (because the suits thought the original title was too long — I’m not making this up!)… and now we have a trailer:

So, um… yeah. The above looks exactly the same as the original. Except the cast speaks English. I can only hope that this remake inspires people to seek out Alfredson’s film, because my gut is that the Americanization is going to equate to “losing the magic.” But we’ll see. I do like Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit-McPhee, so I’m not writing it off just yet. (And let me be clear: I think the trailer was just fine, it’s just bugging me that Reeves brought absolutely nothing new to it, from what I can tell.)

And if you couldn’t care less about any of this because you’ve had it up to here with blood-suckers, then here’s a trailer just for you:

19 Responses to “Yep, More Vampires.”

1. Lee
    Posted on July 29, 2010 at 10:41 pm

LOL!!! I totally wanna see Let Me In, but the trailer for Vampires Suck is way better! I wanna see them both but if I had to choose one I’d have to say I want to see Vampires Suck more!!!! :D

2. Kristy
    Posted on July 29, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I just watched Let The Right One In and I agree. The trailer for the remake is pretty much copied from the Swedish version. The apartments, the bridge, the jungle gym. Boring! I did like the movie though. Just see the original please!

3. Matthew
    Posted on July 29, 2010 at 11:48 pm

I agree that, from the trailer, it looks pretty much like the original, but it makes it seem scarier and it also seems like there’s more mystery and death than I remember there being in the original.

4. Bonnie Tomlinson
    Posted on July 30, 2010 at 12:41 am

I saw the original film of “Let the Right One In” and it was great-the new English version seems even better-but I cant tell until I see it for sure!! “Vampires Suck” is a great way to relieve stress using commedy!!

5. Tamara
    Posted on July 30, 2010 at 1:38 am

I want to see Let Me In. I have already seen Vampire Suck’s and it’s a good comedy.

6. Jennifer@5 Minutes for Books
    Posted on July 30, 2010 at 5:41 am

Oh, gosh, I didn’t know you were Swedish. For some reason this area is full of Swedes and Norwegians (who always fight over who got here first!!). But I tend to prefer the swedes. Glad to add you to the list. . .

Teddy
    Posted on July 30, 2010 at 8:50 am

I am going to see Let Me In, looks very good.

LOL at the Vampire Sucks movie!! I want to see that, too!

7. sayheysandiego
    Posted on July 30, 2010 at 11:02 am

I read the book, very edgy, but I have been hunting up all the Scandinavian authors I could find….but that said, I found the dvd of Let The Right One In at the library. It was the original, but no subtitles, it had dubbed English…..sooooo bad, that I couldn’t watch the whole thing. What a terrible job they did, would love to find a subtittle edition. Will be watching in the fall for the American version, like the trailer, though I don’t trust Hollywood and their minions to do right by anything European. Can’t imagine how they will botch The Girl With Dragon Tattoo. The Swedish film is awesome and the best I’ve seen in years.

8. Trevor L.
    Posted on July 30, 2010 at 11:15 am

I’ll definitely give Let Me In a chance at least, and on a side note, that is also what they called the book when it was translated into English.

9. SpaceMonkeyX
    Posted on July 30, 2010 at 8:51 pm

sayheysandiego,

While, yes, the dubbed version of “Let the Right One In” isn’t pretty, it’s actually more accurate than the English subtitled version. Apparently there were translation problems for the subtitles that are not present in the English dub, which uses the original Swedish dialogue as a language guide.

10. Tom Baker
    Posted on July 31, 2010 at 10:24 am

Skip Let Me In and just see the original!

11. Matthew S. AKA Matthew The Movie Geek
    Posted on August 1, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Oh, that trailer for Vampires Suck made my sides hurt!

My girlfriend, who I have seen all of the Twilight Saga films with, was laughing really hard too, and said we will have to see Vampires Suck.

I don’t know about you, but having your girlfriend who loves the Twilight movies, say that she will see a parody of it, makes the Movie Geek smile!

12. Jenickki
    Posted on August 3, 2010 at 7:30 am

I have no idea why people insist on redoing movies that were fab in the first place. Let the Right One In, is a very odd disturbing movie. It will stay with you for days. There are so many things about this film that disturb me; but at the same time excite me. I dread the remake. Please go see the original. As for the subtitle issue, when this movie was first released, via Magnolia the subtitles were all screwed up. The movie has since been re-released. Check the back of the Blue Ray or DVD..it stated…movie subtitles. Also, the movie is dubbed in English if you just can’t handle reading the whole movie.

As for Vampire’s Suck. OMG! I saw the preview for this last night, and I must go see it. Never been a huge fan of movie spoofs; but I have really wanted to do some of these things to people.

13. Andy
    Posted on August 10, 2010 at 1:34 am

This looks like a watered down version of the original. I don’t understand why they would remake it, unless they wanted to reach an audience that is too dumb to read subtitles… if that’s who the producers are aiming at, congrats!

14. Carly
    Posted on August 10, 2010 at 4:19 am

The book was so much better than the movie. It provided more background to the story.

15. Bob Reece
    Posted on August 10, 2010 at 8:18 am

SpaceMonkeyX was correct when he stated that the DVD/Blu-Ray release of the original Swedish film “Let the Right One In” had errors with the English subtitles. The error has been corrected for Blu-Ray (I’m not sure about DVD). To find the corrected BD, at the bottom left of the back cover, look for: “SUBTITLES ENGLISH (Theatrical), SPANISH”.

Regards,
    Bob

16. DX
    Posted on August 10, 2010 at 8:49 am

The trailer DOES NOT look exactly the same. In fact, half of it looks like new stuff, and quite honestly it looks like another bad re-make, which is a shame b/c I loved Cloverfield. Did you actually see the original before writing this?

17. Dawn
    Posted on August 11, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I can’t believe this! Why do Americans think they can go around remaking movies instead of creating their own. First of all, Eli looks NOTHING like the original. She is supposed to be super pal and with dark hair, thats part of her creppiness! Also, I agree with DX, I watched the original like a month ago and I see all new stuff in this trailer. I never agree with remaking movies, the original will always be better, and in this case it will be no different. Any Asian horror movie that has been remade here has been completely lame compared to the original. As far as The Girl WIth The Dragon Tattoo, it is a great movie with amazing acting, the American version will not live up to it, and it is sad to me that people can’t just READ SUBTITLES.

18. Edwina
    Posted on January 4, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I watch the move ” Let me in” it sucked! I wasn’t impressed,it was BORING!!!!