Wanna Help Make (or Star In) a Movie?

by | Jul 7th, 2010 | 7:15PM | Filed under: News, Shiny Objects

On Saturday, July 24, 2010 — that’s right, two and a half weeks from today — the folks at YouTube, along with Oscar-winning director Kevin Macdonald (One Day in September, Touching the Void, The Last King of Scotland, State of Play) and producer Ridley Scott (Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator) want YOU to be a part of a globe-spanning experiment. They’re hoping that aspiring filmmakers will upload videos of what they did on July 24 in order for Macdonald to comb through the entries and piece together a feature-length movie that will premiere at Sundance in January 2011. The finished flick will be called Life in a Day.

Here’s a short promo for the unusual undertaking:

“It’s not a mainstream film I’m going to make, it’s an experimental film,” Macdonald said. “I don’t think that everybody can write a great novel, and I don’t believe that everybody can paint a great picture. But in this instance, people can contribute to what I hope is going to be a great film by giving something of themselves.”

The first thing that popped in my mind when I heard about this is, “They’re gonna get a bunch of Real World/Survivor/Insert Reality TV Show Here wannabes acting a fool and making over-the-top, clearly staged “audition tapes.” Similarly, there will probably be more than a few people who capture what seem to be truly moving glimpses into their lives… and then we’ll find out months later that whatever Macdonald had thought was worth including from those contributors was a complete set up. Yes, I’m being pretty cynical about this. Do I think it has the potential to be a cool work of cinematic art? Definitely. But I don’t envy the army of people who are going to have to assist Macdonald in reviewing the submissions.

If you think your life is video-worthy, by all means, check out the details (and more importantly, the rules) of the experiment here. Twenty lucky people whose clips are used in the final product will be flown to Sundance for the film’s debut. The rest of us will get to watch the end result on YouTube that same day. And I hope you understand that if you throw your hat in the ring for this, you better let me and Locke know about it so we can send you Good Luck vibes!

7 Responses to “Wanna Help Make (or Star In) a Movie?”

1. matphoto
    Posted on July 7, 2010 at 7:43 pm

This has the potential to be awesome. What if there was like a big earthquake / thunderstorm / blackout somewhere on that day, so they’d have all these videos from one area synced around one event. Or if there happen to be a bunch of butterfly effect type coincidences where one person’s actions affected another person’s indirectly or something.

2. moviegoer123
    Posted on July 7, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I think I never heard of this before but man, I would love to see the film when its released in theatres (if it will be released in the theatres). I never even saw experimental films before but I’m sure this film will be interesting.

3. nichole.mainville
    Posted on July 8, 2010 at 10:48 am

THis is not awesome it’s gonna be lame. I don’t care what they say you won’t be famous or ever see a dime. This is just a fancy way for them to steal your creative work and make money as a producer simply for editing and polishing a bunch of random peoples work. WHAT A SHAM JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE HOLLYWOOD!!!

4. Thunder VIxen
    Posted on July 8, 2010 at 11:18 am

I want toooo PARTICIPATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Pam Pinero
    Posted on July 8, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Hope this works out! I am a writer and I think its a great idea. I just have no idea how this form of art may be taken. Everyone sees works of art so differently. I think it should be a hit as long as you have fun with it.

6. Mary Corinne
    Posted on July 9, 2010 at 12:54 am

Hey- I have a heart condition called cardiomyopathy. I have been through healthcare hell and feel like the story of this illness has not been told. Most people with this condition look like normal folks, however lurking behind their tired faces is a exhausted, spent of a desaster of a person trying to navagate through the healthcare nightmare of doctor opinions and medications. You can go to different physicians and told very different stories and treatment options. Each cardiologist has an opinion/suggestion on how to treat or deal with a heart that does not function properly. I am advised that the final option for me will be a heart transplant. So will a heart be available when I might need it most? Or will I die waiting? When I see a write up in the paper about a young person dyeing prematurly, I can’t help but think…is their family going to donate their precious body parts for others to benefit from? Do they no how many people are waiting for help from some other unfortunate family members loss? Sad but true. Perspective, all depends on which side of the fence you are sitting on? So I think this subject is under publicsized and desearves some media. I walked around in heart failure or some time before I was diagnosed with heart failure as a 44 yr old woman. Heart desease is THE LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH in women!! May be I can help save someone’s life by telling my story and guiding them through the healthcare maze!?
    MC