Hyping Harry

by | Jun 8th, 2010 | 4:25PM | Filed under: Behind the Scenes, Trailers

So I finally got a chance to watch the MTV Movie Awards last night — thankfully, the show was a bit better than it’s been in recent years. However, viewership was still down 13% compared to 2009. Maybe Twilight fever is subsiding? (That’s all the show’s been about for a while, it seems.)

Or maybe not — as New Moon still went on to take home the most mini-golden-popcorn buckets. And of course Taylor Lautner, Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson were on hand with many other members of the cast and director Chris Weitz, and the camera shot to them about five billion times over the course of two hours.

Entertainment Weekly‘s site has a good rundown of the top moments of the night here, if you’re interested. I was especially moved by Ken Jeong’s all-over-the-map acceptance speech, during which he broke down while talking about his wife’s cancer battle (thankfully she’s now in the clear)… before ending with his Hangover character’s signature line: “Toodaloo, m—–f—–s!!!”  (Jeong and Ed Helms also performed a hilarious version of the Tiger Song from the film as well.)

One of the other funniest moments of the night for me — and fellow 3D-haters — was host Aziz Ansari’s rant about the new film fad.  It was part of his opening monologue, below:

But if I had to pick the absolute top moment of the evening, that honor has to go to the exclusive trailer for part one of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I had very mixed feelings about the final novel in the HP series, but so far the movie is shaping up to look incredible.

While some Harry fans got a treat during MTV’s telecast, others tuned in for NBC’s behind-the-scenes look at the construction of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter — the new theme park at Universal’s Islands of Adventure that’s opening on June 18. I will definitely be taking a trip down to Orlando to check it out at some point, but I think I’m going to wait until all the kiddies are back in school. I’m not one for waiting in line for three hours for a two-minute ride. You can watch the half-hour special below, courtesy of Hulu.

Those who just can’t wait to get their magic on have only a few ten more days until the park opens, but the rest of us are stuck until Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 hits theaters on November 19th (though there is a funny HP shout-out in Get Him to the Greek…).

If you need a refresher before the next film arrives, remember that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is currently in redbox kiosks

7 Responses to “Hyping Harry”

1. Michelle
    Posted on June 8, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I enjoyed the Tom Cruise/Les Grossman with JLo dance number! That Grossman may be the best character that Cruise has ever played (although that isn’t saying much,lol)

2. Erika Olson

Posted on June 8, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I know… it was SO random. I liked it too. Now apparently Cruise plans to totally overexpose the character and wants to build a movie around him, which I think would be a huge mistake:

What might’ve been funnier, though, was seeing Robot Katie smiling and clapping in the crowd.

- Erika

3. Ashley
    Posted on June 8, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I didn’t catch the show, but watching his opening monologue made me curious (laughed hysterically at the shocked look on Zac Efron’s face that the cameras caught halfway through!).

Do you know anything about where the cutoff point is for the first of the two HP7 movies? Or would answering that qualify as a spoiler?

4. Erika Olson

Posted on June 8, 2010 at 7:45 pm

I honestly don’t know where the cutoff is, but I will also probably try to avoid reading any details about the movie as it gets closer just to try to be semi-surprised…

- Erika

5. moviegoer123
    Posted on June 8, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I heard New Moon won Best Film for the MTV awards, go figure. I didn’t catch the show either but I had a friend who watched it. I’m surprised that New Moon won Best Film because I honestly thought Avatar would win the award.

6. dianalrosa
    Posted on June 9, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Saw plenty of the show, just because I was dying to see the Deadly Hallows trailer, I am anxious for this movie. Now, a Les Grossman movie???? Train wreck…

Teddy
    Posted on June 12, 2010 at 11:09 am

You almost have to ask yourself how much Summit paid to have New Moon win the movie of the year.

Can’t wait to see Harry Potter!