Bustin’ Out the Kleenex, and Other Embarrassing Movie Watching Moments

by | Jun 29th, 2010 | 4:30PM | Filed under: In My Humble Opinion

Search Results

You arrived here after searching for the following phrases:

Click a phrase to jump to the first occurrence, or return to the search results.

Last week, Entertainment Weekly‘s Owen Gleiberman wrote an interesting piece about his weepy reaction to Toy Story 3. He encouraged other men not to be ashamed if they, too, had shed a tear at the trilogy’s moving finale, and urged them to share their own stories of cinematic sorrow-letting. As a result, the comments section of that post turned into something of a Criers Anonymous group therapy session.

Today, the Telegraph‘s Tom Leonard tried to figure out exactly what it was about the Pixar film that made grown men start to sniffle.  Now, I could perhaps say something here about how unfortunate it is that dudes still need to feel somewhat embarrassed — or otherwise try to make excuses — for the rare occasions on which a film might move them to tears. Clearly it’s still just not that accepted for guys to start bawling their eyes out in public, or else two high-profile journalists wouldn’t have dedicated articles to it.  But I don’t want to cover that same territory.  Instead, I want to ask all of you whether or not you even think twice about crying, laughing loudly, jumping out of your seat, cowering low in fear, or having any other sort of visible/audible reactions to something that’s on the big screen.

So yes, I’m talking only about when you’re out at the cineplex — not lounging on your couch in your pajamas and slippers with a big bowl of ice cream, sobbing like a big baby when Frodo cries out “Noooooo!!!!!” in slow motion after Gandalf is swept down into the depths of Mordor with the Balrog. Not that I would know anything about getting weepy at that part.

I’m curious for your thoughts on public reactions you’ve either had or witnessed others having that made you feel a bit sheepish… or made you extremely annoyed with someone by you.  This is a topic close to my heart, because there aren’t a ton of other female critics at Chicago press screenings, and I’m always extremely self-conscious of blasting out a huge honk of laughter at something no one else found funny, or starting to whimper uncontrollably at a particularly intense drama, or kicking the poor fellow in front of me if I am forced to watch a scary thriller I might not have seen if I didn’t have this job (guy who I nailed in the head during Nightmare on Elm Street: I apologize!).

I have much more patience for those around me than I do for myself, however. I can deal with people crying or freaking out or even the rare (and I do mean rare) kinda loud whisper in order to explain/understand something that might be going on in an exceptionally twisty storyline.  But what I just can’t stand is That Guy or Gal who laughs at everything.  Obnoxiously.  Ridiculously loudly. As if they’re just trying to get people to shush them.  There was a chick like that behind Locke and I at Toy Story 3, as it were, and I was about to throw something at her.  But perhaps I should thank her, because I was so distracted by all of her noise-making that I probably didn’t cry as much as I would’ve if I’d been totally absorbed in the show. That saved me from having to ask Locke if I could use his shirt sleeve as a hankie.  So he definitely needs to be grateful for Loud-Laugh Chick, huh?

10 Responses to “Bustin’ Out the Kleenex, and Other Embarrassing Movie Watching Moments”

1. Mary
    Posted on June 29, 2010 at 6:03 pm

an id=”high_1″ class=”searchterm1″>Ian> totally cry at movan class=”searchterm1″>ian>es (an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> try to play an class=”searchterm1″>ian>t off lan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ke an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> have somethan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng an class=”searchterm1″>ian>n my eye, though) and laugh at parts that no one else than class=”searchterm1″>ian>nks an class=”searchterm1″>ian>s funny (boo hoo on everyone else) and jump an class=”searchterm1″>ian>n my seat duran class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng scary or suspenseful parts of movan class=”searchterm1″>ian>es (my boyfran class=”searchterm1″>ian>end always sman class=”searchterm1″>ian>rks at me when an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> do that). an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> don’t man class=”searchterm1″>ian>nd an class=”searchterm1″>ian>t an class=”searchterm1″>ian>f other people do an class=”searchterm1″>ian>t, ean class=”searchterm1″>ian>ther. an class=”searchterm1″>Ian>t’s an experan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ence to go see a movan class=”searchterm1″>ian>e. Though an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> agree wan class=”searchterm1″>ian>th the “person who laughs at everythan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng”. When an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> went to see the new Karate Kan class=”searchterm1″>ian>d there was a guy behan class=”searchterm1″>ian>nd me who was snan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ggeran class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng at *everythan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng* and an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> really an id=”high_2″ class=”searchterm2″>wantan>ed to throw somethan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng at han class=”searchterm1″>ian>m or “accan class=”searchterm1″>ian>dentally” drop a full beverage on han class=”searchterm1″>ian>m.

2. matphoto
    Posted on June 29, 2010 at 7:18 pm

The only tan id=”high_1″ class=”searchterm1″>ian>me an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> can remember completely bawlan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng an class=”searchterm1″>ian>s at the end of ‘The Cove.’ an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> got through the whole slaughter scene but the part when he walks an class=”searchterm1″>ian>nto the conference wan class=”searchterm1″>ian>th the tv and then the fan class=”searchterm1″>ian>nal aeran class=”searchterm1″>ian>al shot were just too much for me. an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> wan class=”searchterm1″>ian>sh an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> had that same resolve and aban class=”searchterm1″>ian>lan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ty to stand up for an class=”searchterm1″>ian>ssues an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> feel strongly about. an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> wasn’t at the theater, but as an class=”searchterm1″>Ian>’m wellan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng up a lan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ttle just an class=”searchterm1″>ian>n recountan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng that scene an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> than class=”searchterm1″>ian>nk an class=”searchterm1″>ian>t’s safe to say an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> wouldn’t have reacted much dan class=”searchterm1″>ian>fferently had an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> been there. That an class=”searchterm1″>ian>s, UNLESS somebody near me was dan class=”searchterm1″>ian>sruptan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng the whole experan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ence lan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ke you mentan class=”searchterm1″>ian>oned, an class=”searchterm1″>ian>n whan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ch case an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> could see myself gettan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng really pan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ssed off at them an class=”searchterm1″>ian>nstead.

To answer your questan class=”searchterm1″>ian>on more dan class=”searchterm1″>ian>rectly, an class=”searchterm1″>Ian>t defan class=”searchterm1″>ian>nan class=”searchterm1″>ian>tely takes more when an class=”searchterm1″>Ian>’m an class=”searchterm1″>ian>n publan class=”searchterm1″>ian>c at the theater, or at least an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> try to han class=”searchterm1″>ian>de an class=”searchterm1″>ian>t a lot more, even lookan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng away an class=”searchterm1″>ian>f necessary. The bottom lan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ne however an class=”searchterm1″>ian>s that an class=”searchterm1″>ian>f a movan class=”searchterm1″>ian>e gets to me an class=”searchterm1″>ian>t gets to me. an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> can’t turn my emotan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ons off, and an class=”searchterm1″>ian>f there’s no buan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ldup to somethan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng, lan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ke scary scenes an class=”searchterm1″>ian>n some horror movan class=”searchterm1″>ian>es, then an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> just can’t help an class=”searchterm1″>ian>t (‘San class=”searchterm1″>ian>gns’ got me pretty bad, yea…).

3. moviegoer123
    Posted on June 30, 2010 at 8:35 am

an id=”high_1″ class=”searchterm1″>Ian> cran class=”searchterm1″>ian>ed at Toy Story 3, to be honest. an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> had lan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ttle tears forman class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng an class=”searchterm1″>ian>n my eyes at the began class=”searchterm1″>ian>nnan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng. Throughout the fan class=”searchterm1″>ian>lm, my eyes kept on makan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng ban class=”searchterm1″>ian>gger and ban class=”searchterm1″>ian>gger tears. By the end of the fan class=”searchterm1″>ian>lm, an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> was sobban class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng throughout the credan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ts untan class=”searchterm1″>ian>l the people who came wan class=”searchterm1″>ian>th me to the fan class=”searchterm1″>ian>lm made humor and then, an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> was fan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ne.

4. Fiirvoen
    Posted on June 30, 2010 at 9:11 am

Saw Karate Kan id=”high_1″ class=”searchterm1″>ian>d last nan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ght and an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> almost lost an class=”searchterm1″>ian>t a couple of tan class=”searchterm1″>ian>mes. However, an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> always break down duran class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng the began class=”searchterm1″>ian>nnan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng of Return to Me when the husband gets home after han class=”searchterm1″>ian>s wan class=”searchterm1″>ian>fe dan class=”searchterm1″>ian>es…

5. Ashley
    Posted on June 30, 2010 at 9:36 am

Generally speakan id=”high_1″ class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> don’t really hold back whan class=”searchterm1″>ian>le an class=”searchterm1″>Ian>’m an class=”searchterm1″>ian>n a theater. an class=”searchterm1″>Ian>t helps a ban class=”searchterm1″>ian>t that an class=”searchterm1″>ian>t takes a lot for a movan class=”searchterm1″>ian>e to make me cry (the last one an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> remember was “Up,” and then everybody else was a mess, too, so an class=”searchterm1″>ian>t was okay). an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> wan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ll occasan class=”searchterm1″>ian>onally strategan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ze — go to a movan class=”searchterm1″>ian>e by myself an class=”searchterm1″>ian>f an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> know an class=”searchterm1″>Ian>’m goan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng to be annoyan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng, try to get a seat off on my own, or waan class=”searchterm1″>ian>t untan class=”searchterm1″>ian>l the crowds have than class=”searchterm1″>ian>nned out a ban class=”searchterm1″>ian>t. (Case an class=”searchterm1″>ian>n poan class=”searchterm1″>ian>nt: an class=”searchterm1″>Ian>’m oran class=”searchterm1″>ian>gan class=”searchterm1″>ian>nally from the Black Han class=”searchterm1″>ian>lls and an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> had a bunch of fran class=”searchterm1″>ian>ends as extras an class=”searchterm1″>ian>n “Natan class=”searchterm1″>ian>onal Treasure 2.” an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> went alone because an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> was goan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng to be watchan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng for faman class=”searchterm1″>ian>lan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ar people and places and would have annoyed the crap out of any of my fran class=”searchterm1″>ian>ends an class=”searchterm1″>ian>f they had come along.)

As long as people are reactan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng to the movan class=”searchterm1″>ian>e, other people’s reactan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ons don’t get to me (and really, an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> probably won’t notan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ce at all). an class=”searchterm1″>Ian>t’s when an class=”searchterm1″>ian>t transan class=”searchterm1″>ian>tan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ons to somethan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng else (“Seran class=”searchterm1″>ian>ously, why an class=”searchterm1″>ian>s that guy stan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ll gan class=”searchterm1″>ian>gglan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng?”) that an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> get annoyed.

6. Matt in Dallas
    Posted on June 30, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Cran id=”high_1″ class=”searchterm1″>ian>ed at TS3. Took my lan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ttle guy for the fan class=”searchterm1″>ian>rst tan class=”searchterm1″>ian>me, to a movan class=”searchterm1″>ian>e an class=”searchterm1″>ian>n the theater (he’s 2 and half). He had no an class=”searchterm1″>ian>dea why, but he defan class=”searchterm1″>ian>nan class=”searchterm1″>ian>tely saw me sheddan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng tears.

7. Will
    Posted on June 30, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Yep…tears formed for me watchan id=”high_1″ class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng TS3 as well…tran class=”searchterm1″>ian>ed holdan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng an class=”searchterm1″>ian>t back, an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> mean an class=”searchterm1″>ian>t’s just a cartoon ran class=”searchterm1″>ian>ght, but an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> found an class=”searchterm1″>ian>t remarkable that these are characters that have been wan class=”searchterm1″>ian>th us for 15 years.

8. WTFC
    Posted on January 11, 2011 at 12:35 am

hahaan id=”high_1″ class=”searchterm1″>Ian> cry at absolutely everythan class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng…

bobo121
    Posted on July 12, 2011 at 9:31 am

an id=”high_1″ class=”searchterm1″>Ian> cran class=”searchterm1″>ian>ed duran class=”searchterm1″>ian>ng TS3. an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> don’t know anyone who dan class=”searchterm1″>ian>dn’t. But, an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> heard rumors of a TS4 By Tom Hanks on the an class=”searchterm1″>ian>nternet.

9. Angie
    Posted on July 12, 2011 at 10:46 am

The end of Lord of the Ran id=”high_1″ class=”searchterm1″>ian>ngs, Return of the Kan class=”searchterm1″>Ian>ng made me cry quan class=”searchterm1″>ian>etly, an class=”searchterm1″>Ian> dan class=”searchterm1″>ian>dn’t an id=”high_2″ class=”searchterm2″>wantan> the story to end.