Vanessa Hudgens – and Neil Patrick Harris (?) Get Beastly

by | Apr 23rd, 2010 | 11:05AM | Filed under: Trailers

I love the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale and am a fan of all of its various retellings — from the late ’80s television series starring Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman, to the 1991 Academy Award-nominated Disney insta-classic, to the subsequent stage production. But I have not read Alex Finn’s Young Adult novel, Beastly, which sets the story in modern-day NYC and tells the tale from the Beast’s point of view. When I learned that Vanessa Hudgens of High School Musical fame landed the lead in Beastly‘s film adaptation, I wrote it off. But while the trailer below does look incredibly cheesy, dammit if it didn’t win me over in the end. I’ll chalk it up to the power of the story. And the presence of Neil Patrick Harris.

One of my favorite TV actors, Peter Krause (Six Feet Under, Dirty Sexy Money), is also in the cast, even though he wasn’t in the preview. So Krause and NPH might just outweigh the existence of both Hudgens and Mary-Kate Olsen (both of which, if I’m being totally begrudgingly honest, looked to have done a decent job). Then I saw Lisa Gay Hamilton (from one of my other favorite TV shows of yesteryear, The Practice) and I was like, “What? What is up with all these randoms in this movie? And why does Lisa have some sort of weird Jamaican accent?”

So are there any fans of the novel who can testify whether or not the film lives up to their expectations? And what do the rest of you think — yay or nay? My prediction is that Beastly will do well with the Twilight crowd but definitely won’t become a huge hit because I’m sorry, but Alex Pettyfer is no R-Pattz.

50 Responses to “Vanessa Hudgens – and Neil Patrick Harris (?) Get Beastly”

1. LehuaCunha
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 11:53 am

wow this looks really good, I was curious but skeptical due to who is in the movie but hay I think they are all turning a new leaf…I will definatly be seeing this movie

2. Lisa M.
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 1:29 pm

This is the first I’ve heard of this movie, and from the look of the preview- Oh! It looks so good I could almost cry!! I can’t wait to see it!

Ruth E.
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Ok, I was primed for the cheesy when I saw High School Musical alum, but this looked pretty good. Definately a chick flick though. But every now and then whats alittle cry between friends? Wouldn’t pay for ticket though would wait for the dvd.

Babs
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 2:08 pm

What a bunch of hooey! It looks like a sappy flick! Normally I watch stuff like this, but GIVE ME A BREAK! The “beast” looks ridiculous!! What is this Tatooman and the Chick from HSM? Eeeeek!! It’s straight to video for this one! And I agree with Erika O with her Mary-Kate comment! LOL!!!

3. Red
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Loved the television show and Cocteau’s classic version, well what can I say…it was magical.
    This different version looks worth checking out if not in the theatre, at least on DVD or lastly on DISH HD movies…I’m patient and am capable of waiting.

sue
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 2:20 pm

looks like they gave away the whole movie in the trailer, I hate when they do that! I’ll wait for it on netflix!!!

4. Joe
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Love how everyone says they’ll wait for netflix on the redbox site.
    Everyone should give Vanessa a chance. She was great in Bandslam which looked cheesy but ended up being great.

Oh and its “write off,” not “right off”

Locke Peterseim
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm

What bugs me is this mainstream notion of what is “pretty” and what is “hideously beastly”–shaving your head, getting face tattoos and piercings and maybe a cool scar makes you so ugly you can’t show what is still your perfectly proportioned, high-cheekboned face? (Okay, maybe he has more than a few “cool” scars…) I know plenty of places where this “beast” look would make him the coolest, most attractive guy in the room. So on the one hand I’m offended by the film’s idea that “different” is automatically “hide-your-face horrible.”

On the other hand, that’s also the problem with many of the non-Cocteau versions of this tale–the “beast”‘s appearance is usually a very stylized, still sexy look that is, in its way, oddly appealing. None of the “beauties” are really asked to deal with someone truly physically repulsive, either in an extreme manner or even just a regular, Joe-Schmoe face that’s mis-proportioned out of alignment with all our current ideas of “attractive.”

Okay, on a second look I take some of that BACK–lol. I see his eyebrows are also shaved off–now THAT is ugly. No way around it–shaving your eyebrows off shaves about 100 points off your outward appearance IQ. I remember first seeing how creepy it was on Bob Geldof in Pink Floyd: The Wall. But my favorite was a European TV interview the Replacements did back in the ’80s, and all through it you’re looking at Westerberg and Stinson and thinking, “what the hell is WRONG with them? they look SO odd”, and then eventually you realize they’d gotten drunk after a show the night before and shaved their eyebrows off. You instantly look like you’re bunking with The Hills Have Eyes crew.

All that said, I’ve learned not to automatically dismiss these sorts of teen glamour flicks, after Band Slam reminded me that sometimes as shallow as they may appear on the surface or in trailers, on occasion (granted, a rare occasion) they turn out to be smart, well-made and engaging and entertaining even for viewers outside their target demographic.

6. Nise
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I read the book about a year ago and I watched the series when I was a child. I LOVED the book. As stated it was from the beast’s point of view which gave it a different feel from other “Beauty and the Beast” stories. When I was a child I would watch the series with my mom. I don’t remember much, only that I really liked it. I look forward to seeing the movie. :D

7. nancywayne3
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 3:15 pm

it follows its lead from the ‘twilight’ series. the guy isn’t even ugle when he’s ugly. the girl is too pretty but that’s hollywood telling us how we all must look; doesn’t it remind you of ‘the stepford wives’? mary kate is in the role she should be in.
    we all should reember that ‘love’ has no eyes to look upon outward beauty only what is inside. i wouldn’t go and pay more than the buck to rent this one.

8. Ansley
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I actually read the book and enjoyed it. It wasn’t the best novel I have ever read, and the writing at times wasn’t terribly complex, but I still liked it and remember a lot about it even though I read it some time ago. I love the Beauty and the Beast fairytale, and I am one of those people who have studied some of the original stories and fairytales and found them very interesting and enjoyable- and still love the Disney version I grew up with! And I love it when a story is retold through a new perspective, a lot of the originals focus only on what Beauty is thinking and feeling, with the Beast basically a prop. But I always thought he would have to have a really interesting story of his own to tell, and here it is! It appears that there may be some changes from the book, but nothing that really compromises the story. It still has the main, important elements, and a lot of details as well. I think changing the Beast to a guy with a scarred, disfigured appearance like this was an interesting and good choice. Hopefully it will be a good movie, I am looking forward to it!

9. The_VII
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 4:19 pm

This looks GREAT!! I love Vanessa Hudgens (she’s hot), but this movie looks genuine worth your time. And Neil Patrick Harris is great, too; he’s always a plus. And this might be a great role for Mary-Kate, too ;) Definite “see” pick.

Tinkerbella25
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I will be seeing this movie when it comes out. I do believe it is going to be very good and cant wait!

Amanda
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I’m the 35 year old mother of a preteen and tease my daughter and her friends about their obsession with Harry Potter and Twilight, but even I am drawn to this new movie. Beauty and the Beast is a classic and the sweetest fairytale of all time. I can’t wait to see this version. It seems like it will be very mature and also have a bit of the magic of a traditional fairytale.

10. Sunburnt
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I will go see it just to watch Vanessa. She is hot and totally lights my fire!

11. TechieGirlie
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Will definitely be seeing this. Love these kind of movies!

12. Jasmine
    Posted on April 28, 2010 at 12:58 am

The very mention of Vanessa Hudgens name made me almost not click play, but I’m glad I did! I don’t know if it was just the Death Cab for Cutie song that got me but I actually really wanna see this movie now.

13. Baglis
    Posted on April 28, 2010 at 1:20 am

I went into this very optimistic, generally I think of myself to be a movie “connoisseur” but I’m going to go out of my way and watch this. This will either be horrendous or a good movie. Either way, it will be entertaining. I like the fact that Olson twin is a evil witch instead of the main role, because that would make me avoid this movie with a heavy caution sign attached to my back. But I like the “beasts” acting, and I have seen Vanessa Hudgens naked, so it’s cool to see her clothes. As well, Neil Patrick Harris is a god. So that’s always a plus.

14. larry
    Posted on April 28, 2010 at 7:05 am

I cant wait to see this one. Looks like a good manly love story.

15. Mark
    Posted on April 28, 2010 at 7:34 am

what an stupid comment about vanessa hudgens. let’s see, young, beautiful, and talented, yea i write that off all the time also. that young lady killed in hsm, and killed somemore in bandslam. as a father of 2 girls who just adore vanessa, and being a huge fan myself, just unbelievable to read your what has to be jealous comment. yea keep writing this girl off, as she continues to shine brightly.

A
    Posted on April 28, 2010 at 9:44 am

I can’t wait to see it! When does it come out?

16. A
    Posted on April 28, 2010 at 9:48 am

I can’t wait for July 30th!

17. Erika Olson

Posted on April 28, 2010 at 10:25 am

July 30th.

- Erika

Kasey
    Posted on May 2, 2010 at 7:40 am

When the Twilight Saga fans don’t get what they want with Eclipse (having to sit through an hour or more of fighting), they will turn to this movie and probably be very happy!

Beastly looks great and I will buy a ticket at the theater!

18. T!@g0
    Posted on May 2, 2010 at 10:38 am

it ok….i would take my girl to watch …