Dragon Delivers Swift Kick in the You-Know-Where to Kick-Ass

by | Apr 19th, 2010 | 11:16AM | Filed under: Box Office News, CATEGORY: Box Office News

Alas, despite all of its fanboy hype and creative marketing, Kick-Ass failed to live up to its name in the battle for box-office dollars. Even amidst stellar reviews and positive audience reactions in theater exit polls, the subversive superhero flick couldn’t capture the oh-so-coveted “#1 Movie in America” title. There’s a slight chance that could change, as How to Train Your Dragon took in an estimated $20 million and Kick-Ass was right on its heels (claws? wings?) with $19.75 million. So by the time the final numbers come out later on today, the two titles could switch spots. [UPDATE: The final numbers are in, and Kick-Ass did in fact bully its way to the top with a final tally of $19.83 million to Dragon's $19.63 million. And you can bet Lionsgate is lettin' everyone know about it!]  Either way, the Crayola crayon-colored crime-fighters were expected to bring in closer to $30 million. So that means they just need to kick that much more ass this coming weekend and regain their pride, right? Vengeance will be theirs! (What’s that? An ensemble cast action flick and a rom-com with a big-name star are opening on Friday? Oh. OK, scratch that last part. Better luck next time, teen vigilantes and Cage Hair.)

Actually, hope should spring eternal for the folks behind Kick-Ass, because the movie that beat them had disappointed industry pundits in its debut, too.  And now just look at Dragon go!  It’s in its fourth week and back on top, yahoo! That’s what really good word-of-mouth does for ya, folks.  The DreamWorks flick has rung up $320.5 million worldwide already, with its ticket sales dropping less than 20% over the past seven days. That’s impressive.

In third place was the Carell/Fey comedy Date Night with $17.3 million. Spot number four went to the Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence remake, Death at a Funeral. And STILL releasing the Kraken was Clash of the Titans, in fifth position with $15.8 million, bring its grand worldwide total to $321.7 million. That’s just slightly more than Dragon‘s pulled in across the globe… but Dragon and all of its “real” 3D cost about $40 million more to produce.

This weekend brings the future Captain America, Chris Evans, and Avatar‘s Zoe Saldana in the Vertigo/DC Comics adaptation The Losers, along with Jennifer Lopez having all sorts of baby daddy drama in The Back-Up Plan. Who do you think will take the box-office crown?

14 Responses to “Dragon Delivers Swift Kick in the You-Know-Where to Kick-Ass

1. Trevor L.
    Posted on April 19, 2010 at 11:50 am

It doesn’t surprise me it didn’t win since it is such a ‘Hard R’ movie. I loved the movie to death, but I hope this means parents really aren’t letting there kids see it.

2. Fiirvoen
    Posted on April 19, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I’d like to see the Losers on top, but I doubt that’ll happen. The source material is just too unknown and the marketing hasn’t quite been enough to sell it to moviegoers.

Locke Peterseim
    Posted on April 19, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I think Kick-Ass will pick up a lot of steam this weekend, but maybe that’s just my wishful thinking. I do think Ebert’s sneering, cranky trashing of it in his review probably cost Kick-Ass a million or so in Box Office–he’s easily the most-read critic in the country and I’m guessing a lot of folks who didn’t know much about Kick-Ass or were on the fence used his review to decide not to go. But I think good word of mouth from those who did go will spread. And I know I’M going to see it again this week.

Maybe all that won’t be enough to climb back on top of Dragon, but I’m not sure The Back Up Plan is going to do all that well, either–I have a feeling America’s misguided love-affair with J-Lo is well over. Though a dearth of rom-coms lately might help it. And I agree The Losers probably won’t beat Plan–though I’m hearing it’s as much if not more fun than Kick-Ass. Who knows, maybe Dragon will stay up there again–as much as I love Kick-Ass, I can’t complain that people found their way to Dragon these past few weeks–it’s really a terrific flick.

4. Trevor L.
    Posted on April 19, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan will add some extra draw to the movie, and Chris Evans too of course, but yea, I doubt it’ll win.

5. Jeremy F.
    Posted on April 19, 2010 at 5:35 pm

hehe…the predictions were wrong, Kick-Ass did win the weekend! \m/

6. Erika Olson

Posted on April 19, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Yeah, I just updated the post. I love it when it’s too close to call… all the studios flip out!

- Erika

7. KC
    Posted on April 20, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I watched Kick-Ass and Dragon back to back this Past Saturday. Kick-Ass rocked and was worth watching again. It had a Watchmen Feel but a much better budget and some really nice memorable scenes. Can you say “Big Daddy in the wharehouse with the shotgun FTW???”. Dragon was nice, but there wasn’t enough 3D in it from midpoint to the end to remind me that it was 3D or worth going to see again. I’d definitely go back to see Kick-Ass and the Losers or Death at… this weekend. Kick-Ass will be on top.

8. Dan H
    Posted on April 20, 2010 at 3:31 pm

It is funny, in my adult movie watching experience often I go see a movie and think, “This is the best thing I’ve seen in years. This is going to be HUGE.” But alas, for every Million Dollar Baby that has hit me that way, there’s a Tombstone or The Professional to offset it.

So I’m hopeful that word will get out what an amazing movie Hit Girl is (and that should be the name, not Kick Ass – let’s face Hit Girl is what makes this movie amazing) and it will have a Million Dollar Baby type rally, or whether it will go the route of Tombstone and The Professional… I’m hopeful, but not optimistic.

9. Deedee
    Posted on April 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Im am soo sick of having to watch movies with sexual content or language, thats why i was thrilled to watch Dragon. It had a good story line, a little comedy, some sensitive parts, and a great for the whole family to see. WE LOVED IT!!!!!

10. David McMurphy
    Posted on April 20, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I watched Dragon twice and loved it! Did someone (like the critic) miss the metaphor? Dragons represent our fears. Fear never goes away, and fear preys on our souls until we learn to hop on board and ride! Ever think of “adventure” without any fear. Once we learn to ride our fear we can soar! When one person breaks the fear cycle it is contagious and everyone can then sour. My daughter and I loved it! It was incredibly uplifting!

Locke Peterseim
    Posted on April 20, 2010 at 11:19 pm

David, I’m not sure who you mean by “the critic”–I think How to Train Your Dragon is an absolutely terrific film. (And Erika said nothing negative about it in this box-office report.) I’ve praised it highly in my review and ever since then: http://blog.redbox.com/2010/03/how-to-train-your-dragon.html

12. Alkius
    Posted on April 21, 2010 at 4:31 am

It all depends on how you count the numbers.

“…estimated How to Train Your Dragon at $20 million and Kick-Ass at $19.75 million on Sunday, Kick-Ass came out on top with the studios’ actual grosses reporting on Monday, making $19.83 million versus Dragon’s $19.63 million.
    But here’s the kicker: Kick-Ass distributor Lionsgate included the movie’s 10 p.m. Thursday previews in the weekend gross, when, objectively, the weekend is Friday-Sunday. Remove those grosses and How to Train Your Dragon could be No. 1, given how close the movies were. Lionsgate has not responded to multiple requests to clarify this matter, but word has it that the Kick-Ass Thursday night figure was over $200,000.
    On the other hand, while How to Train Your Dragon may have edged out Kick-Ass in dollars, Kick-Ass likely had greater attendance due to Dragon’s 3D ticket price premium.”
    –Boxofficemojo.com’s Brandon Gray

13. Kelley Sterns
    Posted on April 21, 2010 at 9:26 am

I went to see Death At A Funeral this weekend and it was ridiculously funny!! Can you place a live link to that movie? What’s up with that?

14. Red
    Posted on April 21, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I agree with DeeDee…loved the dragon movie. BTW, I thought the 3D was excellent, not exactly awesome like AVATAR but very, very good. I won’t see ‘Clash’ in fake 3D. If I’m going to pay extra to go to the theatre, then I want the real deal.