Bill Murray and Robert Duvall “Get Low”

by | Apr 20th, 2010 | 3:00PM | Filed under: Trailers

When I heard the premise of Get Low, which debuted at the Toronto International Film Festival last year to rave reviews, I thought it might be a comedy.  (That was after I realized it wasn’t a feature film based on the Lil Jon song of the same name.) The film embellishes the real-life story of Tennessee woods-living hermit Felix Bush (Robert Duvall), who ventured into town after forty years of keeping to himself on his large estate, only to inquire about throwing himself a funeral party.  As in, even though he wasn’t dead yet, he wanted to have a funeral in order to hear what people had to say about him. It turns out not a lot of the townsfolk were big fans of Felix, which is why funeral director Frank Quinn (Bill Murray) dreamed up with the idea of encouraging attendance by promising to raffle off Bush’s land (after he really died) to whomever held the winning ticket.  It had the makings of a comedy, right? A 1930s-set black comedy? There aren’t enough of those!

However, while the trailer below certainly highlights a few humorous moments, it’s clear that ol’ Felix is surrounded by a mystery of the darkest kind… and that he probably had a more nefarious reason for wanting to throw his own good-bye party than what he told Quinn. So this is in no way the slapstick cousin of last week’s Death at a Funeral.  Nor does Lil Jon appear at any time, shouting “GET CRUNK!”

Despite the absence of Lil Jon, I think it looks great. The cast is incredible, and the story is unique, for once. Further, all of the early buzz spells good things for first-time director Aaron Schneider.

Get Low is coming to theaters courtesy of Sony Pictures Classics, so it’s undoubtedly only going to have a limited run across the country. Right now it’s set to debut July 30 in NYC and LA — if you’re interested, keep track of other city release dates on the film’s web site.

8 Responses to “Bill Murray and Robert Duvall “Get Low””

1. Jawawaxer
    Posted on April 20, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Love the cast. Robert Duvall is one of my favorite actors, loved him in the last decade in Secondhand Lions, and Bill Murray is brilliant when thrown into more sophisticated roles. I’ll have to work this one into my schedule.

2. Fiirvoen
    Posted on April 20, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Wow… Looks like a Cohen Brothers Movie in a lot of ways.

3. Ashley
    Posted on April 20, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Okay, I’m intrigued. And a little sorry I live in a town where we sometimes get even the big movies a week late …

4. forex expert advisor
    Posted on April 21, 2010 at 6:03 am

I think its just too good. Storyline is unique as well as interesting! Star cast are also great. All have performed very well!

5. Erika Olson

Posted on April 21, 2010 at 10:32 am

Fiirvoen — You’re totally right. It DOES look like it could be a Coen Bros films. Something kept gnawing at me when I was watching the preview and that’s what it was. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

- Erika

6. Fiirvoen
    Posted on April 21, 2010 at 10:47 am

No problem at all. I totally got an O Brother Where Art Thou/Barton Fink vibe throughout the trailer. Since this director is new, it could very well be that the Coen Bros are his influence/inspiration. I imagine that we’ll be seeing more and more who are influenced by their work. I can’t imagine that is bad thing.

7. Teddy