The Scott Pilgrim Trailer Goes K-ROW!

by | Mar 30th, 2010 | 11:39AM | Filed under: Trailers

The tagline for Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, which brings five of Bryan Lee O’Malley’s six Scott Pilgrim graphic novels to the big screen, is: “An epic of epic epicness.” Just when I was starting to hate the e-word, someone had to go and make it cool again — or at least funny. But I wasn’t sure if this claim of superiority was just big talk from marketing minions until I watched the film’s teaser trailer.  Which is indeed epic.

Did you get an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind vibe at the very beginning? I did. Clearly it was because of the Clementine-ish pink (and later blue) hair on Ramona V. Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), Scott Pilgrim’s crush. And speaking of Scott… I have a feeling that a lot of Pilgrim fans were/are worried that Michael Cera wouldn’t be able to break out of his wimpy sidekick mold to embody the series’ bass-playing, evil ex-defeating hero. Elements of his usual shtick are definitely still there, but I think that the worst case scenario is that any weaknesses in Cera’s performance will be outweighed by what look to be awesome effects and a kick-ass line-up of “villains,” including Jason Schwartzbaum, Chris Evans and Brandon Routh. And a big “Yay!” for Anna Kendrick as Scott’s little sis!

What’s your take? Is this trailer worthy of “epic” status?

5 Responses to “The Scott Pilgrim Trailer Goes K-ROW!”

1. Fiirvoen
    Posted on March 30, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Going into that trailer cold– and I mean very cold, having never even heard of Scott Pilgrim– I have to say, I’m cautiously excited. It looks pretty funny and cool. Now, off to Wikipedia to find out more!

Locke Peterseim
    Posted on March 30, 2010 at 2:17 pm

And let’s not forget: It’s from Edgar Wright, the director and co-writer of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz!

3. moviegoer123
    Posted on March 30, 2010 at 6:34 pm

I watched the trailer, and it was creepy. I won’t be seing that movie, but it does look good.

Fiirvoen is right, going into the trailer was cold, I felt the same way as him. But I might give this movie a chance, the trailer didn’t get me clinging on to see it but the trailer, did get me to that I might see it.

Oh yeah, Fiirvoen, I checked Wikipedia, they didn’t have anything on this but I think I might look into it too.

4. francineophile
    Posted on April 1, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Seeing this film will be a family day out at my house. I will have to strong arm the boys (because of Cera’s pathos laden previous roles) but I can up the ante because its got the Shaun of the Dead street cred. If nothing else, it will give us something to argue about over dinner that evening. The trailer does look like fun.

5. Nick
    Posted on August 3, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I’m super excited about this film. I had never heard of the Scott Pilgrim comic books before hearing about the movie but it looks like a great film!!! My buddy and I love these types of movies. It has an almost Sin City feel to it. I am not saying its going to be an award winner but I do believe it will become a cult classic or at least a feel good movie to watch.