Shutter Island‘s Cop Out-Crazies the Box-Office Competition

by | Mar 1st, 2010 | 2:57AM | Filed under: CATEGORY: Box Office News

Shutterislandpic12 Boom. You see that? Yeah, that's right, I worked the top three film's titles into the headline via cheesy wordplay. This is what happens when I write up the box-office report late at night…

Yes, Martin Scorsese's thriller Shutter Island, starring Leo DiCaprio, stayed atop the box office for a second week. The R-rated period mystery brought in $22 million, keeping it out front of the weekend's two new films, despite a (relatively average) 46% drop off from Shutter's opening weekend.

Cop Out and The Crazies battled it out for second all weekend, with Cop Out eventually slipping slightly ahead with $19 million, while The Crazies settled for third with $17 million. Still both films did very solid opening business for R-rated features. The '80s-style buddy-cop action film starring Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan rode star-power and a heavy marketing campaign to overcome highly negative reviews and give indie director Kevin Smith his biggest opening ever.

You can expect Cop Out and The Crazies to swap places next week–the well-crafted horror film is getting solid word of mouth and should have steady legs for a few weeks. Cop Out's fate could be trickier–I laughed at it and maybe others did as well, but just as many found it to be a huge disappointment. How it fares the second week of release will be next weekend's most interesting box-office question.

Copoutpic11 Avatar slid into fourth place, but still managed to cross the $700 million mark over the weekend. I'm still predicting an Avatar Best Picture win at the Oscars next weekend, albeit a bit more nervously than before. I'm starting to wonder if an Avatar-Hurt Locker split vote could let my beloved Inglourious Basterds sneak through. (Especially in light of The Hurt Locker
producer's e-mail scandal last week
and the sudden anti-Hurt Locker PR campaign among vets.) But it's late, I'm getting delirious… Win or lose, expect to see a post-awards surge for Big Blue week after next.

The rest of the weekend's top ten was filled out by Percy Jackson & the Jackson 5: The Lightning Thief, Valentine's Day (its total box-office having now nearly doubled its $52 million budget), Dear John (its total haul nearly tripling its $25 million budget), The Wolfman (in real trouble at only $57 million domestically on a $150 million budget), The Tooth Fairy, and Crazy Heart (another film that will get an Oscar boost next week when Jeff Bridges wins Best Actor.)

In limited release, the terrific political thriller The Ghost Writer expanded to 43 theaters and brought in an impressive $20,000 average per screen. And the French film A Prophet opened on nine screens and brought in an average of $19,000 at each. A Prophet and The White Ribbon are considered to be the top contenders for the Best Foreign Language Oscar.

Next weekend brings the first really big blockbuster of 2010: Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland starring Johnny Depp. A year of anticipation and hype–plus the extra cash from 3D screens–will easily put Alice at the top of the box office on its opening week. Whether it continues to do well after that first weekend rests on how the Disney movie lives up to the hype and expectations. We shall see…

18 Responses to “Shutter Island‘s Cop Out-Crazies the Box-Office Competition”

1. Mary
    Posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:51 pm

was ok, no really unpredictable. previews give you an idea.

2. Darlene Baker
    Posted on March 2, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Shutter Island was verrrrrry slow up until maybe the last half hour of the movie. I wouldn’t spend the money to even rent it to see it again–not worth it.

3. Melissa
    Posted on March 2, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Shutter Island’s Only good parts Was the commercial! My family was very dissapointed. The movie was Verrrrrrrrry Slow. What was they thinking?

4. Tonja Serrano
    Posted on March 2, 2010 at 4:53 pm

very disappointed in Shutter Island…
    People were actually getting up and walking out of the movie!!

5. j&s
    Posted on March 2, 2010 at 8:23 pm

i dont know why these people said it sucked but i thought it was very intriguing and kept you guessing, and a very smart movie. Leo actually did a great job. My wife and I liked it.

6. j&s
    Posted on March 2, 2010 at 8:23 pm

7. j&s
    Posted on March 2, 2010 at 8:23 pm

8. Kim
    Posted on March 2, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I saw Shutter Island opening weekend and then I saw The Crazies on it’s opening weekend. The Crazies was far better than Shutter Island. The plot was more realistic and it was genuinely scary. People were screaming in the theater during the movie and everyone applauded at the end. When I went to see Shutter Island, people walked out and lol’d during many of the scenes (which I’m sure was not meant to be funny). Shutter Island=Epic Fail! If you want to see a great movie that’s actually scary, see The Crazies!

9. Marie
    Posted on March 3, 2010 at 8:00 am

The best thing about Shutter Island was Leo, who did a great job of acting through the mediocre story. This is a “rent-it” film. Worth a dollar, not worth 9.50.

10. yomama
    Posted on March 3, 2010 at 8:06 am

Shutte island was an amazing movie, would defenetly see it again…don’t understand why this “plp” were dissapointed…maybe it was to much of a smart movie for them, but I loved it!! They should make more movies like this more often…..I love a movie that has me thinkn…and it ends up with an amazing twist…wow!!

11. Bernadette Andrews
    Posted on March 3, 2010 at 9:24 am

Shutter Island was not what was expected at all. The ending seemed incomplete, left thinking there should be more. Would not recommend this movie.

12. C8
    Posted on March 3, 2010 at 11:06 am

Totally loved this movie! It was haunting and very intiguing. I feel I need to watch it 2-3 more times to get the full understanding of it. It is one of those movies that really make you think about what is real and what is not. So, I guess if you want instant gratification no brainers, this movie may not be for you. But, if you’re a thinker and love intrigue, you’ll love this movie. Best haunting movie besides the orphanage that I’ve seen all year.

13. Shante
    Posted on March 3, 2010 at 11:38 am

Shutter Island …. i didnt like it. There was no set ending to the end. you can either think of it this way or the other way… idk, its very confusing… it was alrite … yea i should have rented it instead

14. Diamond
    Posted on March 3, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I have to say Cop out was very poorly executed. I thought this movie would have been much better, especially because it stared my favorite actors Bruce Willis and the comedic genius Tracey Morgan. I must say I was sadly disappointed. I could not get into the plot of the story at all. It was everywhere and the movie did not have a solid story line for me to gage. It is a forgettable movie. The ending was also left dry and open ended. I should have saved my money. Better luck next time to a better script for these talented guys.

15. Steve
    Posted on March 3, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Shutter Island was a “thinking persons” movie. If you left the movie thinking you actual knew what happened, then you are probably wrong! You need to pay more attention to things that happened during the flick. This is a Hitchcock style of movie. I need to see it again just to see if what I think hapened really happened.

16. Alisa
    Posted on March 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm

I also thought Shutter Island was very intriguing and kept you guessing. I really enjoyed it. It is actually one of my new favorites.

17. Robert
    Posted on March 3, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I actually thought that Shutter Island was very very good. I think that it is a movie for mature minds. i really got irritated with the people who as we were walking out would say things like, “That was SO stupid and confusing!” or “I didn’t get it at all!” I am pretty sure that the point of the movie was to confuse you, I mean come on. It was great overall though, you do really have to pay attention and the open ended ending really doesn’t help. I love movies that keep you guessing and would definatley buy it when it comes out on blue ray. I would definatley recomend it, just keep a keen and open mind.

18. shelvy
    Posted on March 6, 2010 at 10:59 pm

well i really liked shutter island it’s not meant to be scary. it’s a mystery.Leo was great and i actually loved the ending!