Angelina as Maleficent = Duh

by | Mar 29th, 2010 | 2:08PM | Filed under: News

You guys know I’m a huge Angelina Jolie fan, but honestly and truly, even if I wasn’t, I would totally be rooting for her to play Maleficent in the planned live-action take on the 1959 Disney classic Sleeping Beauty. I mean, COME ON. She is perfect for the role. Absolutely perfect. They will never find anyone better. End of story. Just get her signed and move on.

Even though I’m well aware that we have tons of Disney gurus out there reading redblog, allow me to give a little recap of Sleeping Beauty before I continue with this post for those who are not familiar with what I consider to be one of the Mouse House’s most underrated films. The story goes like this: when Princess Aurora is just a newborn, she’s cursed by the evil Maleficent and destined to die on her 16th birthday — it will be Death By Spinning Wheel Spindle (just go with it). Three “Good Fairies” — Flora, Fauna and Merryweather — raise Aurora (and rename her Briar-Rose) deep in the woods in the hopes of keeping her safe from Maleficent’s curse.  I won’t tell you anything else, but as you can imagine, Maleficent is quite a baddie and does not take kindly to any attempts to thwart her black magic. So I think it would be extremely cool to see everything from her point of view and also think it would be a wise career move for Jolie. She’s done some kid-friendly stuff with voice work for Kung Fu Panda and Shark Tale and whatnot, but for the most part she’s become pretty predictable. There’s only so many times one can play a tough-chick spy/video-game vixen or a mourning and/or messed-up wife/mother.

Right now Jolie’s involvement in the project is just heavily rumored. Tim Burton coming on board to direct is part of those same whispers. What is certain is that Disney has tasked Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and Alice in Wonderland screenwriter Linda Woolverton with the script for Maleficent, so that’s promising news.

What say all of our Disney fans out there? Love her or hate her, try to be objective and give me your take on Jolie as the “Mistress of All Evil”?

9 Responses to “Angelina as Maleficent = Duh”

1. moviegoer123
    Posted on March 30, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Angelina Jolie? I talk about that gal with my friends most of the time. I do love her acting and her kids are cute. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt do to look like a cute couple. In between, I love her and hate her.

2. zooid
    Posted on March 30, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Angelina Jolie seethes with a very thinly veiled ‘dark side’. She has played ‘bad girls’ in the past; but, more in the vein of selfishly plotting the downfall of others, rather than pure evil (“Girl Interrupted”, “Alexander”, etc.). Even in “Beowulf” she deals more in forbidden lust in exchange for a man’s soul, rather than in the actual performance of evil deeds.

Still, the darkness of soul is and has always been there for Jolie. It’s written in her every expression: Eve and Lilith, in one package.

Should she get the role in “Maleficent”, I’d welcome the opportunity to see her really evert this side of her personality.

3. probert2
    Posted on March 31, 2010 at 9:32 am

I really hope Tim Burton does not direct this. We dont need him to ruin what was a perfectly good story or movie with his over the top wierdness. I mean come on, look what he did to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

4. francineophile
    Posted on April 1, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Gotta say, just too obvious. YAWN! Jolie is a good actress and I can’t see this being any kind of stretch for her. What would work better is getting one of the goodie-goodies (Drew Barrymore, Kate Hudson, Jennifer Aniston) to do an about face – it would befuddle decades of dedicated viewers and be fodder for dinner table conversation nationwide.

5. Patti
    Posted on April 1, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Angelina Jolie would be great in this movie and Tim Burton would give it just the weird twist it needs to be strangely darker than the normal and expected “pixie dust” version. Jennifer Aniston – naah, she’s a bit too boring to play the part and I don’t think she has the depth to do justice to the character.

A wicked Johnny Depp would be an interesting mix to add to the characters – especially with Jolie; but then, would that be “too many BIG star egos” in one movie? Just asking!

Will be keeping an eye on the outcome of this …

6. Juli
    Posted on August 3, 2010 at 4:27 am

Jolie would be PERFECT as Maleficent!! The face, hair, the evil intimidating look she can give. Absolutely!!! But I really hope they don’t ruin it by letting Tim Burton twist it into some weird, barely recognizable version.

7. shevrae
    Posted on August 3, 2010 at 9:34 am

As long as they don’t get Angelica Houston – not that she couldn’t pull it off, but she’s always cast as the evil stepmother/bad woman. It would be nice to see someone else do it.

I think Jolie would be a good choice.

8. SnoLeo
    Posted on August 14, 2010 at 7:51 am

I think Jolie does great no matter what she’s in. She really dives into her characters. Malificent would be a great role for her; she could give feeling to a character most of us love to hate.

Tim Burton directing would be interesting, as he always gives an extra twist to the knife when cutting the barrier between family fun and creepy thrill. Anyone who thinks he ruined Charlie and the Chocolate Factory needs to just avoid his stuff, because that was a fantastic movie. If you don’t get him, don’t watch him.

Although the idea of a goody-two-shoes playing the role, there is always the fear that they won’t live up to it. There is a reason they haven’t done those kind of roles, and it’s not the lack of oportunity.

9. Matthew S. AKA Matthew The Movie Geek
    Posted on October 11, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Ok…since I *drool* love Angelina, I will see just about anything with her in it…

So put her in this, and I am there!

As Bill Engvall would say, shrugging, “Sorry…I’m just a guy!”