redblog Readers Who Rock: Rusty

by | Feb 25th, 2010 | 5:35PM | Filed under: Readers Who Rock

Now here's a cool chick for ya, redblog nation! Today's featured Reader Who Rocks is an honest to goodness, real-life rollergirl. How awesome is that? She's been gracing us with her presence on the site for nearly a year now, so I think it's high time we get to know Rusty a little better, don't you?

Rusty_pic1 Name:  Jocelyn O’Brien

Posts as (username): Rusty

Age: 27

Location: Las Vegas, NV

Occupation:  Roller derby queen with the Fabulous Sin City Rollergirls

Welcome, Rusty — love the pic. Tell us, when did you start using redbox, how did you find out about us, and how
close is the kiosk you usually go to?

I always knew about the service, but I hadn’t ever thought about using
it for some reason. I finally started to about a year ago. There are
quite a few pretty much within walking distance of my house.

So what types of movies would you rather rent versus watch in the theater?

I suck at watching scary movies – so for some reason I
usually make myself go see them in public.  Same thing goes for action/adventure types; it’s just more
interesting when it’s bigger.  I’d
rather watch (potentially embarrassing) movies at home, like chick flicks or
something that might make me cry.

When you head out to the theater, do you prefer to be surrounded by lots of other moviegoers, or would you rather be one of the only people there?

Definitely depends on the movie, and probably the mood I’m
in when I go see it.  Though I
never like sitting next to someone I’m not there with – I like my personal
space.

A_mighty_wind What kind of experience do you hope to have when
you watch a movie?

Gotta love a movie that makes you laugh out loud – that
slightly too loud, “I probably shouldn’t be making these kind of noises in
front of other people” kind of laughing.

Here's the biggie: What five movies would you want on a deserted island
(deserted… except for a TV and a DVD player and one electrical outlet)?

1. A
    Mighty Wind
    – There’s not a scene in
    this movie that I don’t love.
  2. Love
    Actually
    – Er, see above, and add the
    fact that I’m a girl and a bit of an anglophile.
  3. Elf – Just one of the best Christmas movies of all
    time.
  4. Almost
    Famous
    – It’s romantic without being
    girly, and the music is incendiary.
  5. Office
    Space
    – I don’t think it takes a Jump
    to Conclusions mat to figure out why this movie is just awesome.

Of course, these are all movies that I can no longer watch
with anyone else, lest they hate me for acting out the dialogue along with the
characters.

Peter Those are great picks. I hope the still I inserted from A Mighty Wind made you smile.  OK, now tell us: who’s your favorite movie hero — and your favorite villain?

Hero would definitely be Peter Gibbons (Office Space).  I
quit my crappy job the morning after seeing that movie, and I’ve never looked
back since.  Villain would probably
be Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg (
The Fifth Element); I love to hate him and his weird hair stylings.

Peter is one of my personal heroes as well!  Let's stick with favorites: whos
your favorite actor?

Robert Downey, Jr.
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is one of the
best movies of all time.  A close
second would be Paul Rudd.  Even
when one of them is in a movie I don’t particularly like, I still usually walk
away loving the part they played.

It's no secret that I love me some Rudd, too.  What about
your favorite
actress?

Zooey Deschanel – she can’t act her way out of a paper bag,
but I love her nonetheless.

Gotta disagree with you there.  Her eyes freak me out too much (though I did love (500) Days of Summer).  Who in Hollywood don't you like?

Renee Zellweger.
I have no idea why.  And
Nicole Kidman!  For some reason,
they both bother me.  They always
have, and I figure they always will.

Agreed and agreed. Any TV actor or actress you’d like to see on the big screen?

That’s a tough one… I don’t watch a lot of TV, so I haven’t
the slightest clue.  Webster?

Jurassic-park Ha, love it!  Good for you for staying away from the ol' boob tube. There are better ways to spend your time… like waiting in line for hours for a movie. Ever done that?

I waited about an hour to see Jurassic Park, the day after I saw it the first time.

Have you ever attended a midnight screening of a movie
and if so, what was it?

A couple of the Harry Potter movies (though I can’t recall
which ones), and I think I might have seen 300 at a midnight showing… or maybe just a really late one.

What are your favorite movie soundtracks?

For songs with lyrics, I’m a big fan of the Garden State and Juno
soundtracks.  I also love Abba, so
Mamma
Mia
is obviously a winner.  Legends of the Fall and Avalon have great scores that I’ve always really enjoyed, too.  Though it pains me to say it, New
Moon
has a pretty good soundtrack, too…

Ferris_buellers_day_off If you could live in any movie, meaning that the people,
places and events in the movie became your reality, what movie would you
choose?

A Night at the Roxbury.  Ha, just kidding… why would I want to
hang out with Richard Grieco?  Real
answer:
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.  Save Ferris!  Who doesn’t want Ferris to be his or her friend?

Ooh, that's a good call.  Along those same lines, if you could be any character in a movie, who would you be?

Cindy Mancini, Can’t Buy Me Love.

Ah yes, helpin' out McDreamy long before he became McDreamy.  I like the way you think.  Any favorite movie scenes/sequences that stand out in
your mind – like one where you ALWAYS laugh, cry, or freak out no matter how many
times you’ve seen it?

I can’t help but laugh every time I see Mean Girls and Damien calls a girl Danny DeVito.  Conversely, the hell scene in What
Dreams May Come
makes me bawl every time,
as did the opening montage of
Up
(even though I knew what was coming!).

What are some of your favorite movie quotes?

There are so many, and they can be so lame out of context,
so I’ll just stick with: “Oh the weather outside is weather.”  Paul Rudd, Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Rusty_pic2 What’s the best film you saw in 2009?

I wish I could say Whip It! because it was really exciting to see roller derby in the mainstream,
but in all honesty, I’d probably have to go with
Role Models (because technically I saw it in 2009) or maybe even Zombieland.

And… one last question for you: are there any upcoming movies you’re really looking forward to?

Not off the top of my head, but I still haven’t even seen Sherlock
Holmes
, which I’m kicking myself for (see undying
love of Robert Downey, Jr., above).

Ah, well, you can always catch it on DVD, right?  Thanks so much for taking the time to chat with us, Rusty.  Next time we're in Vegas we hope we can catch one of your bouts!

Who'll be our next redblog Reader Who Rocks?  Stay tuned next Thursday… and in the meantime check out the others here.

8 Responses to “redblog Readers Who Rock: Rusty”

1. *kristYn from CALI*
    Posted on February 25, 2010 at 7:42 pm

LOVE that you love abba too! makes me feel soooo much less embarrassed that i listed the mamma mia soundtrack as one of my favs too!
    love elf! “SAAAANTTTAAA! i know him!” hahaha… cracks me up year round!
    and who doesn’t love office space? :D

2. Kristin
    Posted on February 26, 2010 at 7:54 am

Agreeing with all points kristYn made above! Rusty, you have awesome picks (and I love your roller skate photo!!)!! Welcome to the club.

3. Ashley
    Posted on February 26, 2010 at 8:14 am

Welcome, Rusty! And I love your 5 island movies … Although I admit to feeling differently about Office Space since I took up a cube job. (Still hilarious … but a little painful, too.)
    Oh, and that’s hands-down my favorite line in “Forgetting Sarah Marshall.” Rock on.

4. Jeremy F
    Posted on February 26, 2010 at 12:06 pm

you DO rock!!! \m/

5. Michelle
    Posted on February 26, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Hey Rusty! I love me some Paul Rudd too. But I have to disagree on Elf, I can’t stand that movie,LOL, but to each her own! Your interview was way funny too, Love your sense of humor.

6. moviegoer123
    Posted on February 26, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I’m also a fan of the Mamma Mia! soundtrack and I also like Abba too. You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life…Dancing Queen…!

7. Fiirvoen
    Posted on March 1, 2010 at 11:38 am

I am embarrassed to say that I love Mamma Mia for the soundtrack alone. I think I just lost some man points.
    Your picks are all phenomenal! I really wish I had listed A Mighty Wind in mine…
    Bueller was a great pick, too. I completely agree.
    To close, I’ll quote one of my favorite songs, Roller Derby Queen by Jim Croce: “I fell in love with a Roller Derby Queen. Round and round, ohhh, round and round… She’s the meanest hunk o’ woman anybody ever seen, down in the arena!”

8. moviegoer123
    Posted on March 1, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Fiirvoen: The Mamma Mia! soundtrack is actually a great soundtrack but I get your point well.