Double the Norton? Sign Me Up.

by | Feb 26th, 2010 | 11:00AM | Filed under: Trailers

First we were treated to Double the Rockwell in Moon, and now we get Double the Norton in Leaves of Grass? Somebody pinch me.

Yep, my boy Ed is starring as twin brothers Bill and Brady Kincaid in this indie that defies categorization from actor/director Tim Blake Nelson (who’s also in the film). Roger Ebert declared it one of his favorites from the Toronto Film Festival, and I’ve read a lot of other positive blurbs for this Coen Brothers-esque story about a successful banker who returns home to help bail his ne’er-do-well bro out of trouble (after initially thinking he’d been killed).

Weird, huh? Weird… but different. And that’s always a good thing in my book.

What’s not so good is the poster on the left — somebody phoned it in when designing that one. Let’s face it, it looks nothing like Walt Whitman’s book of poetry, nor do those look like snapshots of the brothers or bullets or rolling paper casually tossed onto its cover.  And while I like the one on the right much better, it doesn’t seem to fit the tone of the movie (or at least the tone of the scenes we saw in the trailer).

Leaves_of_grass_ver2Leaves_of_grass

Plus, it looks exactly like the spot for Mirrors. Which isn’t exactly something to be proud of.

Mirrors_ver4

Word is that Leaves of Grass will play at the SXSW festival in March and then hit theaters in limited release on April 2. If Locke or I get a chance to check it out in Chicago, we’ll definitely give you the scoop.

5 Responses to “Double the Norton? Sign Me Up.”

1. kelly
    Posted on March 2, 2010 at 1:46 pm

heck yeah, edward norton is SO hot. he’s also an incredible actor and human being. thanks for the review, i sure hope i get to see this soon. the trailer was catchy.

2. Ashley
    Posted on March 2, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Okay, this one better come out fast. Ed Norton, Tim Blake Nelson, and Richard Dreyfuss? (And then throw in Keri Russell and Susan Sarandon — two actresses I like in the same film, which has been rare lately.)
    And it looks like it could be hilarious. Just not sure where they came up with the title … Did I miss something?

3. Erika Olson
    Posted on March 2, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Ah, Ashley, I think you must be an innocent like me. It took me a while to get it, too, but I’m pretty sure the title is referring to pot (aka grass) — I think the one brother is a drug dealer or something and that’s how he gets “killed” – but some deal gone bad.

4. Ashley
    Posted on March 2, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Somehow that makes perfect sense. It’s possible I was trying to read too much into it …

5. Jamie
    Posted on March 7, 2010 at 12:57 pm

The movie looks great. I must agree on the poster though, pretty cheesy and amateur at best.
    Can’t wait til the release!