Our First Look at The Karate Kid Remake

by | Dec 30th, 2009 | 3:34PM | Filed under: Trailers

I've been hollering about the evil that is The Karate Kid remake for over a year. So it was with great trepidation that I fired up the trailer below.  I'll wait two minutes while you watch it before I say anything else…

I am very proud of myself because I attempted to forget my hatred of everything this film represents (the remake craze, Will Smith producing it as a starring vehicle for his own kid, the omnipresence of Jackie Chan, etc.) and just take in the trailer as objectively as I could. Then I played it once more and tried to imagine what I'd think of it if I was ten — the same age I was when the original came out. (Because let's face it, this is going to be more of a kids' movie — not something geared toward us Gen X and Y naysayers.)  Believe it or not, I can't bring myself to completely trash it. While I was pretty annoyed by the song it featured (the ridiculously overused "Remember the Name" by Fort Minor) and wasn't impressed at all by Jaden Smith, once the training scenes heated up at about the 1:20 mark, I thought: 1) This movie isn't going to destroy my childhood memories of Daniel LaRusso and Mr. Miyagi because it looks completely different, and 2) This could end up being a halfway decent family-friendly flick.

I still wish they weren't calling it The Karate Kid, though.

What do other fans of the original think?  Could you stomach the trailer or are you even more disturbed now that you've gotten a peek at what's to come in June?

6 Responses to “Our First Look at The Karate Kid Remake”

1. millar74
    Posted on December 30, 2009 at 5:22 pm

i am ok with the trailer. absolutely agree that “remember the name” is overused. i’m sure Fort Minor isn’t complaining but the song loses its intensity the millionth time out. it will never hold a candle to the original but it doesn’t look like it’ll embarrass itself either. as long as he doesn’t do the crane move at the end. :) coat on coat off.

2. goofdad
    Posted on December 30, 2009 at 7:03 pm

One thing to remember … this movie is not made for us. I can tell you that I will be taking my 10 year old, my 11 year old, and my 13 year old to this movie, and if it sparks any of the wonder in them that I felt when watching Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita in the 80′s then I will consider this movie a success. In addition, it has been my experience that remakes cause my kids to go back and watch the originals … if for no other reason than to tease me about how far cinematography has come in the intervening years. Giving my kids a reason to watch an old movie with me is reason enough to be glad of a remake.
    I have to admit, the crane (in shadow at 1:33) scares me, but beyond that I’m going to reserve judgement on the movie itself. This trailer, as is all to common in hollywood these days, is too much montage and not enough character. How can I judge Young Mister Smith on less than 40 words (34 by my count, almost half of which are in the fly scene at the end)?
    My kids are the final arbiters of the success of this movie, and I’m at peace with that. I’m just happy that there is yet another story we can share across the generation gap. In the end, how is that any different than Disney making old legends into movies, or the Brothers Grimm writing down the old oral tradition tales?

3. Suzanne Smith
    Posted on December 31, 2009 at 8:34 am

I loved the original Karate Kid movie and yes, I was a whole lot younger when I saw it. I believe kids will love this remake and some adults too.
    I don’t know what the problem is with Jackie Chan, he’s always good in movies. I, like yourself, am not impressed with Jaden Smith, but I’ll hold off on that until I see the film. As far as Will Smith producing a movie so his son could have a starring role, oh well, wouldn’t all parents do that if they had the means? If Jaden does a good job then so be it, if not maybe Will can steer him into a job behind the cameras. I think the movie will be a success especially for the kids who will not constantly be comparing it to the original Karate Kid.
    Remakes of movies such as these I think are a good idea. We all loved the original Karate Kid so why not let another generation of kids have a chance to see if they like it too.
    Good luck Will, I’ve always been a huge fan of yours! I want to wish Jaden good luck too …just do the best you can buddy and I think you’ll be good. take some pointers from your Dad because he is an extremely good acttor and always has been.

4. Heather J.
    Posted on December 31, 2009 at 11:53 am

I just showed the trailer to my 8 yr old son without mentioning the title to him (his reading skills aren’t that good so he didn’t read the title in the trailer either). After it ended he said, “Is this supposed to be like The Karate Kid?” Because yes, my son HAS seen the original one. :) He said it could “possibly” be a cool movie but he isn’t sure about it yet.
    I, on the other hand, think it looks like a lot of fun. At the very least it has to be better than the Karate Kid version with the girl as the main character …

5. moviegoer123
    Posted on December 31, 2009 at 12:19 pm

This film doesn’t interest me at all but it sounds pretty cool.

6. Trevor L.
    Posted on January 2, 2010 at 11:07 pm

The trailer heightened my expectations. I was never that critical on them using the Karate Kid name though, after all my favorite video game series has been using the same name for 13 installments now, so who am I to judge?