Old Dogs Fails; Faith in Humanity Partially Restored

by | Nov 30th, 2009 | 9:42AM | Filed under: Box Office News

There are many interesting things to note about what went down at the box office this weekend, but first, let's get the winner out of the way… it was New Moon, again. Although its revenues dropped 70% in its second week in theaters, its $42.5 million haul is still much more than many number one films make in their initial days out of the gate (heck, it's a lot more than what many movies make over their entire theatrical runs). And here's the first of those interesting tidbits I alluded to earlier for you: New Moon has already surpassed the entire domestic gross of its predecessor, Twilight.  That's right, in ten days, New Moon has eclipsed (get it?) Twilight's 21-week U.S. total of $192 million.  This absolutely boggles my mind, because, as we've been discussing here on redblog, there's a lot to hate about New Moon.  Yet there are those vampires, sneering back at us: "We've made over $230 million in the States and over $473 million worldwide so far — so suck it!" (Get it?)

The Blind Side came in second place once again, but this time around it almost caught up with those freaky-eyed vampires and testy werewolves — in fact, it actually beat out New Moon on Thanksgiving Day.  All in all it earned $40.1 million this weekend, but the crazy thing is that its ticket sales actually were up nearly 18% from its opening weekend.  That is a rare thing indeed, so it can only mean that positive word-of-mouth is spreading about the feel-good flick.

In third place with $18 million was 2012, as there will always be people who want to see stuff go boom (or implode, or get blown over, or get washed away in a ginormous tidal wave, etc., etc.).  Taking the #4 spot with $16.8 million was one of Friday's two new wide releases, Old Dogs, and I personally couldn't be happier that this one didn't nab any more hard-earned money of the masses.  I thought it looked totally stupid from its trailer, and James' review confirmed my initial hunches.  Hopefully it will fade into oblivion quickly.

One movie that has stood its ground is in the number five slot this week, and that's A Christmas Carol, whose grosses grew 30% from last weekend, helping it to rake in another $16 million.  Alas, it cost $200 million to produce (motion-capture and Jim Carrey ain't cheap, folks!), and so far its four-week earnings are falling at just over half that amount.

The weekend's other new release, Ninja Assassin, came in sixth place with $13.1 million. And film critics everywhere were disheartened by the fact that Fantastic Mr. Fox, which expanded into over 2,000 more theaters last Friday, failed to entice moviegoers.  It came in a disappointing ninth place with just $7 million.  That is, ahem, not fantastic at all.

With few competitive titles opening this coming weekend, will New Moon be able to pull a threepeat?  Will it go on to hit the $300 million mark?  If there's one thing we've learned over the past year, it's to not underestimate the allure of vampires.  My money's on the Cullens.

49 Responses to “Old Dogs Fails; Faith in Humanity Partially Restored”

1. Betty Gaines
    Posted on December 1, 2009 at 8:41 pm

My sister and I thoroughly enjoyed Old Dogs and Blind Side. They were both enjoyable and you could bring the whole family to see them. I have NO interest in a vampire movie. Betty Gaines

2. Notacritic
    Posted on December 1, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Old Dogs Sucked! New Moon Sucked! (but my daughter loved the Edward guy) I can’t wait until someone new comes on the scene and can build a good movie (it’s been a while)BTW not a critic or a fancy writer just a dad looking for something to see at the movies.

3. Cassie
    Posted on December 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm

I agree with Nikki, I don’t think the Twilighters fan base has been drained quite yet. I personally have already seen it twice and I’m not even the biggest Twilight fan. I know a ton of people who have already watched New Moon more than once and it’s only been 11 days. I’m excited for all the records New Moon is breaking!

4. Rem
    Posted on December 1, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Unjust review of Old Dogs by somebody who hasn’t seen it. Seriously, do you get paid to write for Redbox, tsk tsk. I told my girlfriend to watch it Wednesday (first time I schedules meshed) The theater was full and everybody was laughing almost the entire time. Bad reviews? Sure whatever, Wild Hogs got bad reviews as well and people still loved it. In my opinion reviews are worthless, I don’t even know why people get paid to give their worthless opinions anymore.

5. M. Owens
    Posted on December 2, 2009 at 6:12 am

My family loves to go to the movies on Thanksgiving Day, (less people). We totally enjoyed Old Dogs. It is a wonderful family movie. It never had a boring moment. Had us laughing from beginning to end. Love the Williams / Travolta combo. I can’t wait to purchase the DVD when it comes out.

6. t
    Posted on December 2, 2009 at 6:52 am

to everyone who is dogging on NEW MOON if your not into the movie and have not read the books but have seen TWILIGHT it will seem the same, if onyone really pays attention most of the movies will be the same because it is about two people who should not be together but passionatley love one another, it tells about their first two years of a relationship that just gets better (being told threw Bellas’ eye’s) i agree with most people you have not seen the end of NEW MOON and i would not be suprised to hear that ECLIPSE and BREAKING DAWN make even more if the directors stayed to the book u should see a lot of action in the ECLIPSE movie and watching a decent actress punch a good looking (though underage) young guy. BTW i took both my 11 yr old and 9 yr old to see NEW MOON midnight showing they thought it was cool to see wolves changing and they asked no questions i had no explaining to do to them they understood the movie just fine and yes i know its rated PG13.

7. Sheena
    Posted on December 2, 2009 at 8:02 am

who ever said that they thought the new moon movie sucked!! you suck because you do not know a Good movie if it hit you right in the face so put that in your pipe and smoke it because i thought the new moon movie was spectacular it was just a mind bottling suspensful movie i have ever seen in quiet awhile !!!!

8. Peggy
    Posted on December 2, 2009 at 9:03 am

Elizabeth HArris, sweetie, you must have a job where everyone thinks you are stupid at it as well. because yes that is what they paid to do is review movies. But thye are supposed to do it with the general public in mind, not because they like only a particular type of movies and so tehy hate everything else. That is why the only critic I listen to is The People’s Movie Critic Lamar on the bob and sheri show at http://www.bobandsheri.com , he actually considers everyone and makes it sound real…. If you get paid to do a job , actually do it, so many people are wasting their movie on movies taht critics say is good, only to find out they want to walk out and ask for their money back. Get a new movie critic Redbox pronto!!!!

9. Porter
    Posted on December 2, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Why would anyone compare “Old Dogs” with “New Moon”? totally diferent genre.

10. Gords
    Posted on December 2, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Hey Erica! Thanks for this article. I usually read what BOM has to say about the weekend Box Office. Your points are more in tune, IMHO. Old Dogs is so obviously OLD hat!! :) Those who ‘loved it’ just don’t expect much anymore?? I guess?..

11. Pissed off Filmlover
    Posted on December 2, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Comments like these are why the films coming out of Hollywood are some of the worst since the invention of the medium. Take your kids to see WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE and FANTASTIC MR. FOX! Having to explaining things to kids after a film is a good thing! It good for parents and kids to discuss things to each other about something other than just shoving the kid in front of a computer. Also, PLEASE teach your children how to punctuate and spell correctly!

12. The Rocker
    Posted on December 2, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Erika you obviously have no idea that finishing 4th is not a bad opening weekend at all. Robin Williams and John Travolta are ESTABLISHED STARS who enjoyed making a film that CHILDREN could watch and laugh at. The film has grossed over 30 million domestically so please do not write a check that your ass can’t cash.

13. Sherri
    Posted on December 2, 2009 at 8:05 pm

I just hope that the so called “critic” of old dogs didn’t get paid for doing it! This movie was hilarious. I haven’t seen a movie that funny in a while. Well, the saying is true what they say opions are like!

Posted on December 2, 2009 at 9:54 pm

The Rocker,
    Old Dogs made $17 million on its opening weekend, compared to Wild Hogs, which made $40 million it’s opening weekend, during the much lower box-office period of early March, as opposed to the very high-attendance Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
    Also, Old Dogs has, as of Tuesday, only made $25 million (not $30 million) and is bringing in about half a million a weekday (compared to Wild Hogs, which in the week following its release was making about $2.5 million on the weekdays).
    Granted, Old Dogs is cheap–it only cost about $35 million and will make its money back by the time it’s done in theaters, but it won’t come anywhere near Wild Hogs’ $168 million in theaters.
    When you come around accusing folks of writing “bad” checks, it’s always best to make sure your own account facts are balanced.

15. billie
    Posted on December 3, 2009 at 12:47 am

Holy cow.
    Anyone who said Old Dogs was funny… wow, I can’t even think of the words to type…
    Maybe, watch more movies so you can recognize what is and what is not”good” and “funny”, etc. etc.?
    Or maybe watch older movies when the buddy buddy thing was first done better and smarter?
    ;)

16. Pissed off Filmlover
    Posted on December 3, 2009 at 2:11 am

Very nice Billy.

17. James
    Posted on December 3, 2009 at 8:15 am

Pay attention to Deamons and Angels there is a lot of Truth in this film about the mixing of paganism and christianity. Most professing Christians are unaware of. and if you want more truths about the Christian faith go to UCG.Org and see more truth than you ever known. Unless you cant handle the truth.

18. Pissed off Filmlover
    Posted on December 3, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Once again……spelling and punctuation. It makes you look like a idiot.

19. Sherri
    Posted on December 3, 2009 at 1:25 pm

To the person who is talking about spelling and punctuation all the time,”get a life”! God forbid u have ever made a mistake with your spelling! On to more important things,again, for those people who didn’t think ” old dogs” was funny really need to get a personality,because apparently theirs is dried up! It is really true what they say opinions are like once again! Spelled correctly this time.

20. Pissed off Filmlover
    Posted on December 3, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Thanks! I’ll stick to watching good comedies.

21. moviegoer123
    Posted on December 3, 2009 at 8:58 pm

I agree with Pissed off Filmlover, I will stick watching good comedies. Thanks.

22. angel
    Posted on December 3, 2009 at 10:23 pm

I loved New Moon! It was awesome,there was a lot of effects!!

23. Needed a break
    Posted on December 8, 2009 at 10:39 am

All I can say is this has been the worst year of my life and when I saw the previews for Old Dogs in the Theater this summer I couldn’t stop laughing out loud. My daughter wanted to change seats. People magazine gave the movie half a star but we went anyway on a really bad day in our lives. It was the best thing we ever did. We laughed until I almost wet my pants, and we really needed that.

24. Joel
    Posted on February 21, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Did anyone ever have that silly uncle that pretended to stump his toe or bum his head to amuse the kids? Old dogs is just that uncle! After about 35 minutes it wears thin and seams too silly. If you saw a hundred movies this year, and this one stands out as great? All that proves is you saw 100 crappy movies this year!
    Not only did the commercial show the funniest parts, they made them look even funnier than they actually were!