I’m Brave Enough to See Paranormal Activity… Are You?

by | Sep 30th, 2009 | 11:57AM | Filed under: Trailers

If you've been reading redblog for any length of time, you know that I am staunchly anti-scary-movie.  I purposely seek out films that feature wizards and hobbits and frat boys doing silly things in Vegas and intergalactic space battles — I want nothing less than total escapism when I go to the cineplex or pop in a DVD.  So you might be surprised to hear that I've purchased tickets for an upcoming midnight screening of Paranormal Activity — an indie that is supposedly The. Most. Frightening. Film. Ever… so much so that even The Beard himself, Steven Spielberg, freaked out after watching it.

Have I done lost my mind?  Why would I intentionally put myself through an experience that has the potential to scar me for life… that might forever haunt me with images I won't be able to erase from my mind?  I really have no answer for these questions except, "I just have to see what all the fuss is about."

On that note, before I go any further, you should take a look at the trailer for Paranormal Activity if you haven't caught it already.  Don't worry, there's nothing gory or crazy-scary in it — it mostly shows audience reactions and just a few clips from the film, which was pulled together in one week three years ago for less than $15,000.

So what do you think? By seeing this film, am I setting myself up for an epic mental breakdown and ensuring that I will never sleep again?

Here's why I'm not that worried: I don't believe in evil poltergeists.  I believe in aliens and friendly ghosts (yes, like Casper) and magical creatures and a whole lot of other things that most people find ridiculous and silly, but I don't believe in murderous, I'm-going-to-mess-with-you-when-you're-most-vulnerable ghoulies.  I'm an extremely light sleeper, and if some dark force was trolling around my condo in the wee hours, I would've caught onto it by now.  So I simply don't think that anything in Paranormal Activity could be that bad, or bad enough that I will go from not believing in wicked spirits to suddenly jumping six feet in the air when I hear the floor creak in the middle of the night.

My dear fellow redblogger Locke has tried to bring me to my senses and has forewarned me that now might not be the best time for me to start acting all brave.  He'll be seeing the movie this weekend, too… so if you never hear from either of us again, you'll know that it really was horrific and we were both scared speechless (in the "no longer can type, either" sense).   But I'm clinging to the hope that watching Paranormal Activity in a sold-out theater at midnight is going to be a memorable pop culture experience that I don't want to miss out on, and not one that's going to irrevocably damage my psyche.

As a result of Paramount Pictures' very creative (and smart, in my opinion) marketing campaign for this film, it's currently expanding into twenty additional cities this weekend (up from twelve college towns).  You can see where it's playing here, and if it looks like there are no plans for it to show in your area and you are eager to see it, you can join the over 230,000 people who have used Demand It! (the first time this tool has ever been leveraged for a movie) and let your voice be heard.

Here's to hoping that after seeing Paranormal Activity I'll still be able to resume my redblogging duties on Monday…

7 Responses to “I’m Brave Enough to See Paranormal Activity… Are You?”

1. Clint M
    Posted on September 30, 2009 at 12:58 pm

That does look like a freaky one and that’s the kind of stuff that freaks me out the most. Something that you can’t defend yourself against. You are definitely brave, I don’t think I’d watch that one. I’d never be able to sleep.

2. Kristin
    Posted on September 30, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I’ve never heard of it until now, but that looks really freaky and amazing! I can’t wait to read the review from you (or Locke if you are unable to type!) to see if it really was as scary as it looks.
    Good luck!

3. Trevor L.
    Posted on September 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I laughed when I saw the trailer a month ago. The concept of showing the audience reacting to something scary rather than showing you something scary is a brilliant idea, but there reactions are just so over the top that I was forced to laugh. Doesn’t mean I don’t want to see the movie though, looks theater worthy, especially if the theater does have a big crowd.

4. Donna
    Posted on October 1, 2009 at 12:27 pm

It’s been nice knowing you, Erika. Hope you make it through the movie intact.
    This is exactly the kind of movie I LOVE! I just wish it were showing around here.

5. Mindy
    Posted on October 2, 2009 at 2:50 am

Girl, you have lost your mind! I don’t care if you don’t believe in that nonsense, I still think it will scare the holy whoozies out of you. I really thought you wanted to live to see the last season of LOST, but I guess I was wrong. Will your husband be taking over writing for you? ;-) I absolutely will *NOT* be seeing this now, or ever. I will trust the redblog review. Hope to hear from you come Monday!

6. Millie
    Posted on October 6, 2009 at 6:10 pm

It reminds me of the hype around Blairwitch – which I did not find scary at all. I’ll go see it out of curiosity as to what effects were used but, once you’ve experienced an encounter with something paranormal, which I did at 20, 5 years after the death of a cousin who’s family I visited and… I slept in her room… – not much can scare you. I quickly became a believer of the afterlife…

7. amanda
    Posted on November 6, 2009 at 6:58 pm

I definitely believe in the paranormal, having had personal experiences myself and who’s family’s house still has things going on similar to parts in this flick, this is a movie to see!! It was creative to show the audience’s reaction in the preview rather than the clips to make you interested. There are things out there you don’t want to provoke as they did in the movie.Watch it, you won’t be let down.