While Locke already talked about the most controversial casting announcement of the past week — the possibility of Sean Penn, Benicio Del Toro and Jim Carrey playing Larry, Moe and Curly in a big-screen version of The Three Stooges — there's still a ton of recent casting news to discuss. So without further ado…
- File this one under "Seriously? What is he thinking?!?" Chace Crawford (The Haunting of Molly Hartley, Gossip Girl) — who is already often mistaken for Zac Efron (High School Musical 3) — is apparently auditioning for the lead role in the Footloose remake. You know, the one I've been cursing for months, and which Efron finally got the sense to drop from his list of upcoming projects? Don't do it, Chace!
- Emma Stone, who I loved in Superbad, The House Bunny and The Rocker, is finally ready for her first leading role in Easy A. She'll play a high school student in this modern take on Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. Mega-early prediction based on nothing but my love for Stone and the overall concept for the film: this will be a hit.
- The cast of Ridley Scott's still-untitled Robin Hood flick has expanded… Russell Crowe has been set as the lead for a while, and Cate Blanchett took over for Sienna Miller as Maid Marian not too long ago. Now Vanessa Redgrave, Kevin Durand (Lost), Scott Grimes (ER), Mark Strong (Body of Lies) and Alan Doyle (um, a musician friend of Crowe's) have been added to the mix as well. I've always loved the Robin Hood story, so I sincerely hope Scott doesn't screw this up. I fear there will be no in between: it will either be awesome or awful.
- Vanilla Sky costars Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise may be reuniting for a romantic comedy. I think this sounds like the worst idea I've heard in a while (what can I say — I can't stand Cruise… and I find Diaz annoying 80% of the time). Let's hope this project never sees the light of day.
- And you KNOW it's been way too long since I've talked about New Moon, right? So I better mention that members of Jacob's wolf pack have been cast… as has scary temptress Heidi. Oh, and this dude is going to be Caius, leader of the Volturi. I can deal with that — he looks the part.
Darn… I thought by the time I was done writing this post I would have forgotten about the "Nate Archibald as Ren McCormack" rumor. This remake is going to be the end of me, I tell you!