Why So Serious? The Redblog 2008 Favorite Films Poll: Dramas

by | Dec 29th, 2008 | 1:30PM | Filed under: Other Bits

Welcome to another week of Redblog Polls! Yay! All this week we’ll be asking you about your favorite movies from 2008, broken down into first-round heats by genre. Then on Friday we’ll take the top two winners of each genre and pour them into a final Best of the Year poll.

A couple important notes for ya:

– The four genre polls will be Drama today, Family on Tuesday, Comedy/Musical on Wednesday, and Action/Thriller on Thursday.

– The drama category especially is altered due to the nature of release schedules for dramatic (i.e. Oscar-y) films. So films that were technically released in 2009 but have not had a wide release yet (or been on DVD) are not here. No Frost/Nixon, no Rachel Getting Married, no Happy Go Lucky, no Gran Torino, no Wrestler or Revolutionary Road. On the other hand, we are including several films that were released in 2007, but most folks did not get a chance to see in theaters or on DVD until 2008.

– The nominees were assembled fairly un-scientifically,  based mostly on box-office and DVD sales and rental charts, but with some consideration given to critically acclaimed titles. But no, some of your personal favorite films of the year will not be here–I know several of mine are not. Still, feel free to let us know in the comments what beloved stuff we left off, as well as any other discussion about these films.

– Two films get a bye round. You won’t see The Dark Knight or Wall-E in the Action or Family polls until the championship round on Friday. They were just too big, too acclaimed–they’d swamp all competition in the genre round. But they’ll be there in the end.

– Vote for as many titles as you like in each poll.

Now have at it and let’s hear some chatter out there in the comments! This is your chance to sound off on everything cinematic you loved and hated in 2008!

16 Responses to “Why So Serious? The Redblog 2008 Favorite Films Poll: Dramas”

1. E
    Posted on December 30, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Wow. You really just included Twilight in that list.

2. April McKenzie
    Posted on December 30, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Since when is “Juno” a dramatic film? More like a comedy if you ask most people who saw it.

3. BLACK BEAR
    Posted on December 30, 2008 at 2:42 pm

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN WAS GANGSTA

4. S
    Posted on December 30, 2008 at 2:42 pm

So where are the polls? I see all the rules about voting, but I don’t see the list of movies or how to vote on them. What am I missing?

5. Dr. Whom
    Posted on December 30, 2008 at 3:09 pm

And 21?

6. frozen01
    Posted on December 30, 2008 at 4:07 pm

These are the only choices? Despite the fact that the article led with “Why so serious?”, the Dark Knight isn’t on here?
    Yeah, I’m floored that Twilight is on here, too… and Juno was definitely not a drama.

Posted on December 30, 2008 at 7:40 pm

I think a decent argument could be made both ways for Juno–it certainly IS a drama in many respects. It would technically be termed a “dramedy,” (most reference materials refer to it as a “comedy/drama”) but the truth is the comedy poll was already pretty full and the drama one was lacking, so in order to get more familiar titles into the mix, I put it in drama.
    As for Twilight, where would you put it? Action? Comedy? Family? At it’s heart, it’s a romance. Ergo, “drama.”
    With 21, I had no intention of putting it in ANY poll list, but I realized most people haven’t had a chance to see Rachel Getting Married, and no one seems to have bothered to see Australia. Frankly, 21 was actually up there in the box office and dvd rental charts for the year.
    But NO ONE is as shocked as ME that it’s getting SO many votes.
    The absence of The Dark Knight: for starters, it’s not a drama, it’s an action film. You can argue it’s dramatic and artistic merits, but it was created, marketed, and executed as an action film. The “Why so serious” headline was just a clever hook, that’s all. And no, The Dark Knight will not be in the action poll either–I’m holding it and Wall-E until Friday’s final showdown because they are simply such big films–I thought it’d be nice to let some of the other action and family films have a chance to make it to the final round.

8. jumbke
    Posted on December 30, 2008 at 9:45 pm

this must be a joke :)

9. Mark B.
    Posted on December 31, 2008 at 3:12 am

It would have been nice to have actually seen any of the movies on the “Drama” list.
    But, as I have not, I cannot vote.
    I live 100 miles from the nearest movie theater. Yes I know, sad. But none of the movies listed made me want to drive 100 miles one way to go see them. Equally, none of them made me want to watch them on DVD either.
    And I can certainly understand your reasoning behind keeping WallE and The Dark Knight off the preliminary lists. Let some other movies see some action.

10. Robert Richards
    Posted on December 31, 2008 at 9:06 am

I think people are surprised the Twilight made the list – not because it is not a drama, but because it was such a horrible movie. It made a bucket of money because of the popularity of the books. However, the movie was garbage.

11. Stephanie Littlejohn
    Posted on December 31, 2008 at 10:12 am

I haven’t seen any of the listed dramas, and thus cannot truly vote. My favorite was Australia, but apparently I’m the only one that saw it and cared. LOL Also liked Rachel Getting Married.

12. Oliviaq
    Posted on December 31, 2008 at 7:38 pm

I haven’t seen any of these movies either. I haven’t even heard of a couple of them. Where have I been? I do want to see Australia.

13. Sugar Dumpling
    Posted on January 1, 2009 at 1:27 am

I thought Juno was more of a comedy? It had some elements of being dramatic, with the whole teen pregnancy thing, but…I really don’t see the emphasis of drama. :/

14. Stephen Bachman
    Posted on January 3, 2009 at 11:06 am

Twilight…really? Not sure how this made it to the list. If you want to see how a Vampire love story should be done you should see “Let the right one in”. Not for every one (if your not into subtitle) but you should at least check out the reviews. I thought this movie rocked and would beat most of these movies if it had a wider release.

Posted on January 3, 2009 at 11:12 am

Stephen, Let The Right One In is at the top of my Must See list for next week, when I get back to Chicago — I’ve heard from several folks (including Erika, who reviewed it here: http://blog.redbox.com/2008/11/let-the-right-o.html) that it’s a must-see.
    However, even if I see it next week and do love it and it makes my Top 10 or 20 for ’08, we have to agree that it would probably never make it into a general, overall “Best of” Poll — like you say, it just didn’t get a wide enough release or publicity.
    I personally have not seen Twilight, have no real interest in seeing it, at least not until it comes out on DVD and then only so I can better mock it… But there’s no denying (as we’ve seen on this site) that is has a passionate, dedicated fan base that drove it up in box-office charts. Hence it’s inclusion here in this round.

16. Erika Olson
    Posted on January 3, 2009 at 11:14 am

Stephen -
    We at redbox agree that “Let the Right One In” was excellent — I reviewed it earlier this year:
    However, as you mentioned, it just didn’t have a wide enough release to be included in the poll. I know a ton of people that wanted to see it who live in fairly big cities, and it never showed near them. I’m sure the remake won’t suffer that same fate (but it also won’t be nearly as good).
    - Erika