My Favorite Movie Soundtracks

by | Dec 3rd, 2008 | 2:01PM | Filed under: Hum Along, In My Humble Opinion

Heaven help the man who hates this soundtrack
Monday and Tuesday I covered my favorite one-off songs from the world of film.  Today, let’s talk about the whole enchilada — entire soundtracks that rock.

I own a ton of movie soundtracks, so it was hard for me to narrow it down to my top ten.  My criteria was that I had to like all, or nearly all of the songs on the album in order to include it on my list.  So while, for example, Saturday Night Fever has some stand-out tunes, for every "Night Fever" that I adore, there’s a "Night on Disco Mountain" that I can’t stand.

Here’s what I ended up with.  Drumroll, please…

My Top Ten Favorite Movie Soundtracks

10. Magnolia

9. Walk the Line

8. Footloose

7. The Full Monty

6. The Wedding Singer

5. Grease

4. Once

3. Garden State

2. The Sound of Music

1. Xanadu

Have to believe, it is MAGIC
Yes, you read that correctly.  After much deliberation, I decided that Xanadu really does deserve the top honor.  There is not a song from the film that I don’t like, and I can’t say the same for any of the others on the list.  Rest assured that I am fully aware that the movie itself left much to be desired, but what can I say?  Olivia Newton-John + the Electric Light Orchestra = Pure Awesomeness.

My husband tried to convince me that the Singles, Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Almost Famous soundtracks should’ve made the cut, but I would have none of it.

Do you agree with him?  What other good ones did I neglect?

6 Responses to “My Favorite Movie Soundtracks”

1. Eric
    Posted on December 4, 2008 at 10:05 am

I totally agree with you about Xanadu. I had this record when I was a kid in the early 80′s. Every note brings back memories. And the ELO stuff on here is (to me) their best and most overlooked.
    Perhaps you don’t like instrumental-type soundtracks, but three of my favorites are:
    Braveheart
    Last of the Mohicans
    Titanic
    These are worth a listen.

2. Kristin
    Posted on December 4, 2008 at 1:06 pm

Oh e, how could you not include Purple Rain and Pretty in Pink?
    I also agree with your husband in including Singles.

3. Audrey
    Posted on December 8, 2008 at 7:26 pm

Oh my gosh, how I adore you for ranking Xanadu #1! (I’m behind in my blog reading, oops) I am a notorious Xanadu fan… I agree, I love both the ELO and ONJ stuff. This is too funny! I thought I was alone in my love for this stuff.

4. Audrey
    Posted on December 8, 2008 at 7:34 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that at various points of my life, I’ve owned the 8 track (seriously), cassette, and CD versions of the Xanadu soundtrack :P Just missing the LP version – haha.

Scott
    Posted on April 14, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Queen of the dammed

5. Ciara
    Posted on November 14, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I love the new footloose I really did not like the old footloose that much I loved the new one:)